Microbubbles from Fluval Skimmer (PS2)

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not for nothing but... these Microbubbles are definitely annoying and triggering my OCD badly. I really want them gone but I don't think that will happen honestly. I wonder if Fluval intentionally wanted this skimmer in Chamber 1 and filter sponge and or floss in Chamber 2 with Activated carbon and media when they made the Evo 13.5 gallon tank because of microbubbles.

20210818_074516.jpg 20210818_074616.jpg

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mog, take it easy n put ocd back n box, break it n and will most likely work itself out. Happy reefing my friend n Way to go on the new tank

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey mog, take it easy n put ocd back n box, break it n and will most likely work itself out. Happy reefing my friend n Way to go on the new tank
Thanks bud.
It's just that there's alot of bubbles. The skimmer itself has pulled alot of green nastiness into collection cup so it seems to be skimming properly. Just them darn bubbles are everywhere.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried turning it 180 degrees? From the picture it looks like the intake (the part with the little sponge piece) is facing toward the 3rd chamber? That intake was a source of microbubbles in my PS2 but I had mine in the first chamber. Just thinking that maybe having it turned around gives those bubbles a chance to dissipate before going back into the display

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried turning it 180 degrees? From the picture it looks like the intake (the part with the little sponge piece) is facing toward the 3rd chamber? That intake was a source of microbubbles in my PS2 but I had mine in the first chamber. Just thinking that maybe having it turned around gives those bubbles a chance to dissipate before going back into the display
I wish I could. The size of the chamber and the way the skimmer was built, I can't turn it. Sort of fits like a glove.

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah those back chambers don't give you much wiggle room
It's kind of dumb IMO but... if by Sunday it hasn't calmed down, I may just remove the skimmer all in all. Run it without skimmer and keep with regular weekly water changes and cleaning as usual. It is a 13.5 gallon tank so running it without a skimmer shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you don't adjust it and just let it run, my bet would be it will have calmed down by Sunday.
I'm just going to try my best to ignore the bubbles until then. There's alot but... I will try. Lol.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of dumb IMO but... if by Sunday it hasn't calmed down, I may just remove the skimmer all in all. Run it without skimmer and keep with regular weekly water changes and cleaning as usual. It is a 13.5 gallon tank so running it without a skimmer shouldn't be a problem.
I have a PS-2 on a flex 15, probably don't really need it though as I have to feed a lot to get any trace of nitrates in the water. I have a 10 gallon that just has an aquaclear 30 on it and my nitrates are always around 10 and that tank is way less work

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been about 3 days I believe.
while you wait it out you can try a harmless test. If you have a pipette and some wet skim in the cup, just take off the lid of the skimmer and pull a half a ml of skim out of the cup and then squeeze a couple drops down into the skimmer neck (while running). Then report back on what the skimmer does as far as micros. Do they start to subside or continue on with gusto and no change? it's easier to see results on a larger skimmer but i'll bet the micros subside a bit with the drops. Your skimmer will push the drops back out so no worries on adding extra nutrients to the display.

OP
OP
Mogwai

Mogwai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let that thing run even if you have to stay at ur uncles. After a Month, if its still doing that we can revisit. I wouldn't steer you wrong. Let it happen n here n this hobby its Patience, patience, patience...
Yeah. I'm just ignoring the skimmer and focusing on the brownish green hairy algae stuff growing on my rocks and sand. One thing after the other. Lol

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I'm just ignoring the skimmer and focusing on the brownish green hairy algae stuff growing on my rocks and sand. One thing after the other. Lol
Yep , you've got new tank syndrome n it only gets worse ( n better) as time goes buy. When skimmer is pulling out brown nasty smelling nastiness then and only then will it b working properly. Check out Red Sea no3 po 4 ( or actually No pox) for algae control n give pamphlet a read. Scrubbing off the rocks n turning tank water green is only spreading your problem. Find n pick a Solution, your tank isn't the only one w New Tank Syndrome, its on u too!!! LOL

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know , I didn't tell you earlier cause wasn't sure how it'd make you feel but think it may help. I put a new reef octopus 150 into. in the sump and about 3 Months later had it consistently working good. Then last week started the red sea program and now you'd think I'm putting Mr. Bubble in my sump( daily) so now another round. We will make it but wow it IS one thing after another. Just hang in there ,is what I keep telling myself so hang in there

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as Rusty stated, new tank syndrome is something everyone goes through so don't stress. the system just needs to develop a sufficient amount of beneficial bacteria and microfauna naturally (this will take time-months). A sufficient clean up crew is also essential. Hermits, mexican turbos, cerith snails, astrea snails, and nassarius snails are a good start. I like to have nassarius snails in my mix because they go into the sand bed and eat detritus. Also it's cool to watch them come out of the sand bed when feeding and move quick to find any uneaten food. of all the snails i mentioned i think ceriths are the best all around eaters. Conch snails are great too but they aren't easy to find in LFS around me and the two i've had were bulldozers and would move many of my sand dwelling corals.

if your LFS doesn't have a decent selection of cleaners then you may want to consider a package from a company like reefcleaners https://www.reefcleaners.org/aquarium-store/cleaner-packages-with-free-shipping

what kind of clean up crew have you employed so far?

what are your water parameters?

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back