Midas Blenny Aggressive to Flasher Wrasse in QT

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a Midas Blenny is aggressive to a flasher wrasse in a 10g QT tank with a few pieces of PVC, would you assume it would be aggressive to a flasher wrasse in a 100g tank with plenty of rock?

My initial thought was that the behavior might be in part to sharing cramped quarters during QT. What are your experiences?

Thanks,
Chance

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found midas blennies will frequently nip and harass planktivores, so I do not keep them.

Your issue may resolve in a bigger tank, but I wouldn't count on it.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the display it should calm down, though the midas may still make passes to any planktivores, but it shouldn't be too bad.

OP
OP
Rython

Rython

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. I'd really hate to try to catch the darn thing once I turn him loose in a month.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In my old 150 my Midas Blenny was a model citizen. He ignored pretty much everyone including all of my wrasses. He was always begging for food when he saw me near the tank.

I have a new one in my 20G QT right now with a Firefish. This one occasionally chases the firefish when I feed but but otherwise ignores him.

4db2abd9-5e7f-4090-b1a9-723da59ce6d0-jpeg.2388946

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a Midas Blenny is aggressive to a flasher wrasse in a 10g QT tank with a few pieces of PVC, would you assume it would be aggressive to a flasher wrasse in a 100g tank with plenty of rock?

My initial thought was that the behavior might be in part to sharing cramped quarters during QT. What are your experiences?

Thanks,
Chance
In a 4’ tank, no. Although, I would get the wrasse in that 4’ tank ASAP before it starts flying into objects (Including the glass) which they tend to do in small tanks. I think flasher wrasse are the only easy wrasse that I would refuse to actually try QT because of this darty swimming pattern. Since there’s plenty of LR there’s plenty of sleeping places and territory for both fish so it will die down, with a bit of chasing here and there.

Kyle954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a flasher wrasse, but my Midas gets along great with his fellow 6line wrasse & other fish. I got him super small so maybe that helped idk. Good luck with yours!

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back