Midas Blenny Flashing

gsbrawley65

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 7, 2026
Messages
50
Reaction score
34
Location
Houston
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Midas Blenny that has been in my tank two weeks. This morning it started flashing on one specific rock. This is the first time I've seen him flash. However, a small bubble tip anemone walked to his favorite perching spot last night. He's still using the perching spot and (I think) rubbing against the anemone every time he goes to it or leaves. Could this cause the flashing? If so, any insight on his realization that he needs to find a new spot?
 
I have a Midas Blenny that has been in my tank two weeks. This morning it started flashing on one specific rock. This is the first time I've seen him flash. However, a small bubble tip anemone walked to his favorite perching spot last night. He's still using the perching spot and (I think) rubbing against the anemone every time he goes to it or leaves. Could this cause the flashing? If so, any insight on his realization that he needs to find a new spot?

I’ve not seen that specific reaction, but I’ve also not kept Midas in with bubble tips.

Flukes don’t kill fish super fast, so you’ll have a few days even to a few weeks to see if this sorts itself out.
 
Thanks, appreciate the answer. He’s now bending around and biting himself. As best I can tell, that isn’t common with Flukes. So, makes me think his continued swimming through the BTA is irritating him. He also looks discolored (not like itch) on his backs. Almost like an irritation or burn. I’ll try to get a picture.

I’ll ponder if I try to remove the anemone if it doesn’t sort itself out. Good news is he’s still eating like a pig.
 
Pictures but it’s hard to tell. The marks are much more visible in person.



IMG_7692.jpeg

IMG_7688.jpeg

IMG_7689.jpeg
 
Pictures but it’s hard to tell. The marks are much more visible in person.



IMG_7692.jpeg

IMG_7688.jpeg

IMG_7689.jpeg

Sorry - I can't really make out the spots. I've heard of midas blennies biting themselves, but I've never seen that in person, so I don't know if that is from flukes or something else...
 
For anyone else that ever has a stubborn Midas Blenny with an anemone, he started (largely) avoiding the anemone and the spots went away and he is now acting normal.

Will keep monitoring him. Appreciate the insight.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new