Midas blenny is not eating

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you capture a good photo of the blenny? Would also help to share parameter numbers. Any new additions or changes in routines from feeding to water changes? Any other fish showing symptoms, like gills or scales flaring out, cloudy eyes or fins looking whitish? Is the fish producing white string of poop? Has food expired? Temperature? It’s difficult to give a response without sharing any images, symptoms & environment conditions. More information is needed. Good luck.

OP
OP
Knightwolf1.025

Knightwolf1.025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We added a Rainford goby about 3 weeks ago , all fish are showing good signs of health including the blenny, gills are all moving at a steady “breath” pace, no fin issues, and no spots of ich, and normal stool from all fish
We did a water change and minimal aquascaping on sunday (4/5/20)
Tank parameters are as follows
Temp 77.5*f
Ammonia 0.0 ppm
Nitrite 0.0 ppm
Nitrate 7-10 ppm
Phosphate 0.0 ppm
Ph 8.2
Alk 8.4 Dkh
Calcium 430 ppm
Magnesium 1320 ppm
SG 1.025
Tested 4/7/2020
We feed marine cuisine daily @8:45 pm
The salt mix we use is Red Sea Coral pro
And dose Red Sea reef energy amino acids at the same time and have done this for 6+ months without noticing any issues until now
All of our fish are remaining peaceful and communal with each other in our 40 gal AIO for recent pictures of the tank see the ‘member tank thread’ on it
I will post a photo of the Midas Blenny as soon as I can snap a good one

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your Rainford may have brought in a problem. 3 weeks + or - is a common time frame for parasites to develop into a problem.

Is the blenny hiding from the light? Swimming into a flow? Any twitching?

OP
OP
Knightwolf1.025

Knightwolf1.025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No twitching or swimming into flow, it is resting in its normal spot which is in moderate light it has been a little more in its hole than usual

81FCF848-42FD-4926-84AA-E09269E061A7.jpeg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's hard to see on a fish of this color, but look at the blenny at an angle to the skin from front to rear so you are looking at it down it's length. Look for a "dusting" on the skin. A small flashlight may help.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the hard part as your fish is yellow colored:

"This dust may look grey-gold colored if viewed at the right angle and under the right spectrum of light. For this reason, it may be difficult to see velvet on a yellow or light colored fish (look from an angle, not directly from the side). However, sometimes a fish’s body will look “dirty” or show “dark areas” just before velvet appears."

OP
OP
Knightwolf1.025

Knightwolf1.025

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will continue looking over the next week, “Benny the Midas Blenny” Was doing his camouflage thing when the flashlight hit him, and the only thing I saw looked like brown freckles near the cheek area

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dusting, hiding from light, not eating, can be symptoms of velvet. Here's more info just in case:

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mention of minimal aquascaping can induce some stress on the fish if it hasn’t been used to your presence & movement inside the tank. On top of a chance that the new tank mate might have carried in some type of illness like Big G posted earlier. On the plus side, you also mentioned that it still finds its usual spot & hides inside a cave which I’m assuming it is the territory it has claim for its self, an area where the blenny can feel secure. Best to just keep it under observation & keep an eye out for the things that Big G has mentioned, like ich & such. The blenny is definitely under some stress for sure, which can trigger other problems but hopefully it can shake it off, no illnesses show up & it can return to its normal behavior. Still, do keep an eye out for those initial signs of parasitic infections. Hopefully you have a QT system in hand & some meds in case of worst case scenario. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back