Midas blenny jumped; got him back in

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is a 90 gallon red sea. I keep a cover on it. While lifting the cover all of 2 inches or so to feed today, my Midas blenny managed to jump out. He slipped under the stand. I can't say for sure, but I think it took about 2 minutes for me to be able to find him and pull him out.

Once I got him out from under the stand, I immediately put him back in the tank. He want on to a (covered) power head. Couldn't tell if he was alive or dead, so I gave him a poke. He swam around very quickly, and has settled on the sand at the front of the tank. He is breathing, rather heavily, and his stress colors are showing.

I am just sitting here watching him right now. The other fish are leaving him alone. Is there anything I can/should do to help him recover? Or just hope for the best that he gets better?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab a beer and hope for the best. Enjoy the beer and life will be better and hopefully the fish will also perk up too.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't drink; but a doobie doesn't sound like a bad idea...

It was just freaky how quickly everything happened. Within a second or two of squirting food under the lid he came flying out. He gets very crazy at dinner time, so I think he jumped out of excitement.

Definitely going to use some towels or something else to fill the gap between the floor and the bottom of the stand. I could have gotten him back instantly if he hadn't slid under there.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked back in on him; he has found a hiding spot next to a rock on the bottom. So he's moving around and he continues to breathe. I *think* that he will be okay.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Crazy-fish” needs to be commanded to “sit” before you open the lid maybe?
Glad he is still with you.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I am very glad too! I just checked back in one more time for the night, and his adorable little face is poking out of his usual rock cave. BIG sigh of relief!

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a wrasse do the same, and I’m not sure how long he was on the floor. Like you when I found it, I immediately tossed it back in tank. At first it floated around tank, did not look good. Then it hid in the sand for a couple days, and ultimately came around. After a week or so, it was back to normal. Good luck to your King.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Before I went to bed last night, I looked at the tank and I saw his adorable little face poking out from his usual rock hole. Haven't seen him at all this morning, but thankfully there isn't the tell-tale snail/crab mob you get with a dead fish, so I'm optimistic that he's gone into hiding.

I'll update this thread when I know for sure either way.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are not looking good, not at all. I found him laying on his side at the bottom, breathing very heavily. I put him into an acclimation box to protect him from the CUC, but I really don't think that he is going to make it. I am heart broken.

burningstarIV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh no! So sorry he's not looking well. Hopefully he just has PTSD and will recover from his episode. All joking aside hopefully he recovers.

burningstarIV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very sorry for your loss. I feel your pain losing a clownfish as a jumper in the past. It stinks because you were right there and it feels so preventable, but it was an unexpected thing and there's nothing you could've done.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, i thought for sure he’d be fine, based on the short time you believe it was out of the tank.

OP
OP
AngryMike2016

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I saw him jump, and it took a minute or two to retrieve him from under the stand. I have to imagine that he damaged something internally when he landed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back