Midas blenny missing eye

Geoology

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came to look at the tank this afternoon and saw the blenny swimming around and one of his eyes is missing. I feel so helpless. Is the fish for sure a goner or could it survive? Also trying to understand what happened. Also noticed my solar wrasse with nipped fins. I suspect it the kole tang as that is the only fish that i have seen get a little aggressive toward the other fish. I have never seen it go full blown after a fish. If it was just the blenny I would say who know for sure what happened but with the fins on the wrasse I am sure its another fish.

Fish currently in the tank
2 clown fish
Solar wrasse
Flame hawk fish
Firefish

Please let me know your thoughts.

20210612_185348.jpg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long a it doesn't develop an infection while healing, it should be fine. I have a diamond goby who lost an eye and is still thriving. Initially eating food in the water column was tough since his depth perception was way off. But, he adapted.

Blennies dive quickly into rock holes... he may have injured it that way... which is the way i think my goby lost his eye.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Tomato clown took the eye out of a damsel. Both fish live together still. I thought the damsel was going to lose it's other eye, presumably from another clown attack but that one healed. I think I've had the damsel about 10 years and the injuries happend in the first year.

I just purchased a lemon peel angel that is missing an eye. It is doing great but I might not keep it because I am king of worried it will start eatting some of my corals. It is a beautiful fish but i am wondering how difficutl it will be to rehome it?

CLFishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chalk bass that has had 2 bouts with with I call pop eye, I assumed that that was caused by rubbing on a rock or coral. Finally after the 2 time, he injured an eye and now it’s totally gone. He’s still swimming around.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting. Which species of damsel is it?
Turns out my damsels are a breeding pair. I suspected they were up to this activity after I kept getting attacked when I’ve put my hands in to attend to various issues in the tank.

I have had a temperature prob hanging haphazardly for awhile and I first thought there must be a micro bubble source in the sump or return causing bubbles to gather on the hanging probe.
They used it for an attachment site for their nest.
B0D47F9B-D585-4F11-B840-AADFD323AA00.jpeg
880D833E-BF3D-431B-A1BF-276C84F86E41.jpeg
6C5D6230-0BD0-4592-AC9C-F996B506D3A0.jpeg
Any damsel experts on here have a guess what specific damsel these are? They were sold as Talbots but I’m guessing Black damsels?

Back