Midas blenny stressed in QT

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got his guy yesterday so I get that he’s still very stressed. he’s in a 20g Barebottom QT tank w no live rock. There are a few pipes to hide in and some plastic plants to offer shelter. Back and sides of tank are covered. He’s stuck here for 3 weeks. He’s constantly swimming upright in this one area. Suspected swim bladder issues but he’s fine at lights out and swims away to sleep. He’s clearly stressed and looking for a way out. Is there anything I can do to help him feel comfortable in this unnatural and strange new temporary environment? He’s huge and I’m afraid the tank is just too small for him

85CFD63B-E38A-4467-AADE-20D42B396C13.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,salinity? parameters? is this new water or established? eating yet?

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,salinity? parameters? is this new water or established? eating yet?
Hello.
Eating: yes.
salinity: 1.025
Temp: 74
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0 or less than 0.25 ppm
Ph: 8 to 8.2
Tank is not cycled because we disinfect after each use to avoid cross contamination. Water used to fill tank and for all water changes is from well established 110g DT.

mrbacony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact same thing happened with my Midas Blenny in QT about 2 months ago. It had me worried too. But he is fine. That is the say they swim When stressed. Mine would hide at the top of the tank and I could not find him. After 3-4 days, he relaxed some what. He is now in my display tank and rules the tank with confidence. He will be fine. Just stressed for the time being.

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exact same thing happened with my Midas Blenny in QT about 2 months ago. It had me worried too. But he is fine. That is the say they swim When stressed. Mine would hide at the top of the tank and I could not find him. After 3-4 days, he relaxed some what. He is now in my display tank and rules the tank with confidence. He will be fine. Just stressed for the time being.
That’s reassuring. Thanks. I feel terrible for the little guy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the tank dim as it looks like you are doing. Is the fish feeding yet? Bear in mind that moving tank water over doesn’t move many nitrifying bacteria (those live mostly on surfaces, not free in the water) so you’ll want to keep a close eye on the ammonia.
Jay

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep the tank dim as it looks like you are doing. Is the fish feeding yet? Bear in mind that moving tank water over doesn’t move many nitrifying bacteria (those live mostly on surfaces, not free in the water) so you’ll want to keep a close eye on the ammonia.
Jay
Thanks Jay. He’s eating. I have an ammonia badge in there but also test ammonia because I know the badges aren’t 100% reliable. I also do regular water changes. Kept tank dim 1st day but turned lights on today. I’ll keep it dim a few days and see if that helps him settle. Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. He’s eating. I have an ammonia badge in there but also test ammonia because I know the badges aren’t 100% reliable. I also do regular water changes. Kept tank dim 1st day but turned lights on today. I’ll keep it dim a few days and see if that helps him settle. Thanks!
Not eating is almost always the first sign of serious issues in new fish, so as long as it eats well, I wouldn't be too worried.

Jay

OP
OP
Mariette

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eating is almost always the first sign of serious issues in new fish, so as long as it eats well, I wouldn't be too worried.

Jay
Thanks Jay. Body condition appears well. Fat. No signs of disease. Strong. Eating. Just wish there was something I could do for him.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back