Midas blenny vs canary blenny

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please tell me the difference between the midas and canary blenny?
Also, which one is more active and is always out? And which one is the most peaceful (with inverts as well)?

I've also read somewhere that the midas blenny's bite is venomous, is this true?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please tell me the difference between the midas and canary blenny?
Also, which one is more active and is always out? And which one is the most peaceful (with inverts as well)?

I've also read somewhere that the midas blenny's bite is venomous, is this true?
The canary blenny has a venomous bite, not the midas

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The canary blenny is the venomous one. The midas is labeled as being overall peaceful, but always consider a fish's individual character as a factor.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept a Canary but my Midas is swimming at the top of the water almost constantly. He will occasionally perch on his rock but it's only for a few seconds then back to swimming. I really like my Midas blenny and in the future wouldn't hesitate to get one again

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept a Canary but my Midas is swimming at the top of the water almost constantly. He will occasionally perch on his rock but it's only for a few seconds then back to swimming. I really like my Midas blenny and in the future wouldn't hesitate to get one again
Do you have a pic if possible?
Also, i know that they change colours often so is yours yellow most of the time or is he mostly brown?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a pic if possible?
Also, i know that they change colours often so is yours yellow most of the time or is he mostly brown?
My lights are off but I have a pic from a several months ago on my phone. He is generally somewhere from a peach color to a light purple color. During the day I never see him with that brownish stressed color.
20210414_173448.jpg

OP
OP
maleks.reef

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are off but I have a pic from a several months ago on my phone. He is generally somewhere from a peach color to a light purple color. During the day I never see him with that brownish stressed color.
20210414_173448.jpg
Ah i see. Looks like i will be going for the canary. I need a yellow fish in my tank, that's the main reason for looking into canary and midas blennies.

VintageJoy63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my midas...he's always swimming throughout the whole tank and has a few different perches (80 gallon) he has started to eat out of my hand when I put food in. He sleeps in between the layers of my montipora at night. He can be a bit bossy with others in the tank, but not mean aggressive - kinda like my clown. He keeps my diamond goby from becoming too OCD concerning sifting the sand bed. Overall a beautiful fun fish!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my midas...he's always swimming throughout the whole tank and has a few different perches (80 gallon) he has started to eat out of my hand when I put food in. He sleeps in between the layers of my montipora at night. He can be a bit bossy with others in the tank, but not mean aggressive - kinda like my clown. He keeps my diamond goby from becoming too OCD concerning sifting the sand bed. Overall a beautiful fun fish!
Mine used to sleep on my monti cap also. I wonder if that's a coincidence or something that they do in nature?

VintageJoy63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine used to sleep on my monti cap also. I wonder if that's a coincidence or something that they do in nature?

Interesting....I thought it was so odd mine started doing that, he used to back into a hole in a rock forever (2+years) ...and then all of a sudden one night I saw him do the same into the monti. I kinda laughed to myself because I thought it was because he wanted to be first in line for food in the morning, since my monti is at the top of the reef, and the rock he used to sleep in was in the back on the bottom...

So cool yours does it too!!
Anybody else notice this??

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back