Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!

I am very excited to share with you all and take you along this Skunk Clownfish harem journey with me. Let's hop right into it!

The specific clownfish I chose for this harem project is: Amphiprion sandaracinos
Also known as: Orange skunk clownfish

Why did I go with orange skunk clowns?
The orange skunk clowns are a bit different for me in terms of appearance and I love how they look. Also, they seem a bit more docile and friendly towards each other when compared to other clown species.

How did this all start?
Long story short, life plans changed, decided to get a slightly bigger tank, like a "37g frag tank".
Stopped by @PupChow (InappropriateReefer) place to hang out. Next thing you know, we talk about anemones and he gives me his huge bubble tip anemone.
GPTempDow.jpg

Now I really needed a bigger tank... How big? See below.

May 13th, 2018
-Started shuffling my tanks around to make room for the new tank.
1.png

and born... the 60g cube.
5.png

Rockscaped, sand, and filled the tank as well. I was on the fast track in getting this tank going.
3.png

May 15th, 2018
-Tank was filled. Borrowed cycled bio-media from existing tanks and tossed into sump. Parameters check and ready to go!
4.png

May 16th, 2018
-Getting the anemones into the new tank
IMG_1768.jpg

May 19th, 2018
-Anemones settling in... just waiting for the orange skunk clowns to go through QT at my LFS.
IMG_1894.jpg

May 23rd, 2018
-I had pre-ordered 10 orange skunk clowns, so two weeks of QT was finally done and picked em up yesterday! Did about a 1/2 hour acclimation process.
IMG_1989.jpg

and in the tank they go... This was them yesterday evening. Sorry for the blurry picture. This is a screenshot taken from my video I posted on Instagram.
IMG_1985b.jpg

I'll be documenting my journey with this experience, so fingers crossed and wish me luck.
Be sure to follow me on this thread for updates and also on instagram for the latest updates!
My instragram: mightynanotank

Cheers ya'll!
Benjamin

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the Skunks taken any of the anemones yet?

Following. :)

Not as of this morning! They were all swimming together on the sand bed this morning. So cute to watch them cuddle puddle together.

@dylana407 @Hazenight Appreciate it! As soon as they even nibble on the nems. Ya'll will see the pics :D

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to donate you a BTA but unfortunately you are not in Florida.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pretty fresh brand new set up tank if I'm reading correctly, hope it works out...

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a pretty fresh brand new set up tank if I'm reading correctly, hope it works out...

Thank you! I’m really anxious and hope it works out too.

So we have success tonight! Eagle has landed in the nest [emoji24] 1 out of 10 skunk clowns ain’t bad.
IMG_2020.JPG

The alpha/female seems to have claimed it out of the pack. We shall see what happens tomorrow!

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Hopefully he will let his friends know.

_badger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! Don't underestimate the power of peer pressure, 1 down more will follow :)

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks awesome! Don't underestimate the power of peer pressure, 1 down more will follow :)

You were very right! She’s actually been trying to get them to go in it with her too. She’ll swim into the harem and interact and swim back into the nem. I have some short vids on my Instagram if anyone wants to see.

Here’s a pic of her discovering the larger red bubble tip nem. As of this morning, we’ve counted 3 skunk clowns in the nems. Hopefully soon they’ll all be in the nems.
IMG_2034.JPG

@NY_Caveman yeah. She’s been pretty friendly about letting her friends go in the nem. Occasional “hey I’m the boss nip” but nothing too bad yet.

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harem seems to have divided into one half in the anemones and the other half hangs out in the back overflow wall.
A pic tonight of the tank under blues.
You might’ve noticed that I’ve been collecting a few anemones [emoji108]
IMG_2214.JPG

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harem seems to have divided into one half in the anemones and the other half hangs out in the back overflow wall.
A pic tonight of the tank under blues.
You might’ve noticed that I’ve been collecting a few anemones [emoji108]
IMG_2214.JPG

Beautiful shot! Funny how they figure out their heirarchy and fun to watch them do it.

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful shot! Funny how they figure out their heirarchy and fun to watch them do it.
Thank you! It is really entertaining watching them interact each other. I can probably sit there for a few hours.

Looking amazing! Did a bunch of them jump in that new addition??
Appreciate it! No, it's a weird and interesting dynamic. the largest skunk clown (the female) basically herds the divided groups. 1 group of clowns aren't allowed to go near the anemones and are banished to the back overflow wall where they just watch. the 2nd group of clowns are only allowed to live in one of the anemone. she'll hop around all the other anemones though and occasionally let her mate in.

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to get a pic of 'em all in the anemone, but when it's nightfall 6 skunk clowns will huddle up in 1 anemone all together.
The harem is going well so far. They'll peck each other, but there's enough anemones and space for the skunk clowns to run and hide as needed.
IMG_2406.jpg

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The harem and tank is doing well!
Here is an updated FTS:
IMG_2798.jpg

They will have their moments where they will chase and peck each other, but nothing too bad. I have about a total of 8-10 bubble tip anemones (some in the back) and the clowns have divided into either pairs or small groups with each other. They will cuddle and stake out their territory, but during feeding time they will all come out and shoal together.

Oh yeah, I got a center piece meat coral at RAPNY. whoot!

OP
OP
Nart

Nart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not so good news... I have to share the goods and the bads too right?
It's been a crazy past week. Woke up to my kole tang dead on the sand bed, upon closer inspection they were all infected to something that looked like brookanellya/marine velvet? or something. I am almost 99% certain that it was the new mandarin that brought it in. I normally only get fishes from my to-go-to LFS, they will treat with several medications, along with cooper. They also work in conjunction with a vet and QT the fishes for a minimum of two weeks, if any of the fishes do not clear QT, they will re-start the QT process again.

But yeah... irresponsible me. All the fishes were infected too, they seemed to be covered in a weird coating, with white spots that kind of looked like ich but wasn't.
I quickly set-up a QT and fished everyone out. Even had to tear down my rockscape to get the firefish and yellow neon gobies, one can only imagine trying to fish those little dudes out.
Everyone in QT is in good spirits though! so I have high hopes for them pulling out of this.

IMG_3309.jpg

So the 60g Skunk harem build is currently on hold for 2 months right now. Currently medicating all the fishes in QT and will be leaving the 60g display fallow for 2 months. That should be long enough time for the parasites and diseases to die off yeah?

In the mean time, I've converted my macro algae refugium to an Anemone refugium :)
IMG_3372.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back