mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todays Updates

I went to a lfs and they had a deal on rock so I got some more rocks.
IMG_1719.jpg

I got 70# of rock total, and I got about 40-50# in my 55. Im not using all of the rock in my 55 since some pieces are small and some have aiptasia, and I definately dont want that in the new setup. so a total of about 100-115# of rock. I think I got enough now.

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok may be a dumb question but Im curious about the aiptasia, if I use water from my current setup which has some aiptasia, and transfer it to the new setup, will the aiptasia tansfer to the new setup with the water?

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at my sump today and realized that the water level will be at about 11" high in the area where my skimmer will go. Euroreef recommends a water height of about 6.5" of water for the RS80. Will this be an issue? Should I make something to raise the skimmer a couple of inches?

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just build a PVC stand to get it to the right water level

I just remembered, a friend of mine did the same for his skimmer. This is a pic of it

MVC-720F.jpg

I guess I got something else to do on my day off, besides the long list of stuff I still need to do to get this tank up.

Feels like it'll never end. I guess this is the fun part about tank builds though. :)

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the skimmer stand done last night. The skimmer should be at a perfect level now. I only need to add some egg crate as a platform.

IMG_1732.jpg

I also did some plumbing, or better yet am in the process of doing it. I need opinions though. The drain on the left will go below water level, and a ball valve will go on the return hose. I just wanted to know what you guys think.

IMG_1733.jpg

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
School started last week but I ended up having to drop my classes this term due to some scheduling conflicts with my job. I wish I didn't have to drop the classes, especially since I'm a potential graduate after this term.

Good part is I get to accomplish more on the tank. I've done alot since the last update.

I began cooking the dead rock with vinegar and water
IMG_1734.jpg

it is now rinsed out and drying as of today

I began the electrical wiring and trying to do some power cord organizing
IMG_1760.jpg

IMG_1758.jpg

IMG_1757.jpg

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped by a lfs to fill up on sw for and I got this, its a crappy pic
IMG_1740.jpg

I had to get it, I've been wanting a red serpent star for a while now just never found one. he has 2 of his arms missing but I think he will be ok.

I am storing 25g of saltwater in a clean trash bin and will be filling up the remaining jugs so I can have water for the fill up.
IMG_1761.jpg

the live rock is in the styrofoam with a power head.

I got the fans that will be going on the canopy today. These fans are nice and quiet and will use a ac/dc converting fan controller.
IMG_1747.jpg

IMG_1748.jpg

Today I went to a fellow reefers house and got another phosban that will be used for carbon, my other reactor will run the gfo. He was also selling a Koralia 4, and it was in pretty good condition so I got that as well.
IMG_1759.jpg

The coffee maker will not be going in the tank :)

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I want to ask about my return. This is how I have it for now. What do you guys think? Should I shorten the hose or leave it as it is? Clamps will be going on the hose ends.

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1754.jpg

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lookin good ! :) sorry you had to drop the classes...

Yeah it sucks, but hopefully I can take the class in the summer and still graduate this term. I have to talk to the counselor and see what my options are.

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice pickups. man i thought you had gone and figured out how to make something awesome out of the mr coffee for the tank ! :)

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is finally set up and running great. Some miscalculations and improvisations, as well as some other obstacles but they were all overcome and its all set up. :)

Me and my friend Sam began the build by removing everything in the 55.
IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

Then we placed the 90 exactly where it was going and put in the sand. I used 4 bags of the Carib Sea Fiji pink sand.
IMG_1766.jpg

IMG_1767.jpg

Then began the fun part...the scaping, and fill up.
IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1772-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is it with everything, but the lighting running.
IMG_1781.jpg

Durso at work
IMG_1780.jpg

Mess in the sump area during initial setup, most of it is already organized and zipped tied and wire loomed to hide most of the cables. ;)
IMG_1782.jpg

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up all the reefkeeper channels and calibrated the ph probe. Here's a shot of the remote right after calibrating.
IMG_1786.jpg

I was going to do the lighting later on but decided since my dad was there, he can help me get this done the same day. So I brought in the canopy and started the install on the lighting. Didn't get any pics of the initial lights installation.

After everything was wired, it was time to fire them up. First up were the actinics.
IMG_1795.jpg

and then, fired up the Radiums:) I love these bulbs!
IMG_1796.jpg

I also installed some moonlights and they look spectacular at night. I really like the way this tank came out.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back