mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You!

I noticed this morning that one of my sps colonies is doing so well. I saw some bleached spots on it, and when I got the turkey baster and blew it, half of the zooxanthellae blew off :eek. I think the rise in temps may be the cause of it. The temps in the 55 were usually around 77-79 with the t5's. But now with the mh's, which are only on for 3hrs, the tank get at around 82-83. I have two fans on there, but I think I may have to invest in a chiller. What size chiller should I look for this size tank? Any brands that are reliable?

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got a 1/4 drop in running my 3 tank ~140 gal. system. 1/4 should be fine for u! but why not get a little bigger if you can, cuz one day u'll want a bigger tank! lol

cbau45

I like to reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work!! Very impressive setup. If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the fan controller from? I have the same fans to wire up and that controller sure would be nice.

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I was looking around for a chiller and I remembered that my friend was selling his. He gave it to me at a great price. Its a 1/4hp Pacific Coast. Got it hooked up.

IMG_1818.jpg

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the colony that was bleaching.

IMG_1817.jpg

I took out the dead pieces and managed to frag it into 3 pieces, hopefully it will do better.

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dfurbee

Nancy Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is beautiful. You can coat the hinges in the cabinet with clear nail polish to prevent them from rusting. Love the dimensions of the tank.

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, my girlfriend asked me to go dress shopping with her for a wedding we are attending. I told her that it would be fine as long as we stopped by a fish store. She agreed. So after we went to the mall we stopped by a lfs. I was looking for a fish to put in the 90. My gf wanted a blue hippo tang, I dont really like them so she picked out a small desjardini tang, but they get too big for the 90. We finally found one we both liked, and took him home. We got a Tomini tang. I placed him in and he immediately went behind a rock. I was a bit worried at first, but I saw him a few hours later grazing around the lower part of the tank. These are the best pics I can get so far.

IMG_1848.jpg

IMG_1847.jpg

the clown doesnt have ich, its just that my glass is a bit dirty, I need to get an algae scraper

and another shot of the tank for you guys ;)
IMG_1844.jpg

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some update pics

chromis
IMG_1900.jpg

the tomini
IMG_1902.jpg

top down shots
IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

these are the two I picked up today
IMG_1886.jpg

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1921.jpg

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed some changes in the colors of my corals recently, especially the acros.

The first is a red milliepora I got from a fellow reefer. It wasn't doing that good ever since I put it in the tank. but I saw the mother colony and it was all red, I did not see any green in it. In the pic you can see it is getting some polyp extension and it is gaining a hint of green.

IMG_1925.jpg

Second is my pink birdsnest, it browned out a bit ever since I placed it in the new tank, but now I notices it is gaining a hint of greens as well.You cant tell in the picture (cant get the right setting on the camera)but the tips have a hint of green.

IMG_1927.jpg

Elan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, awesome tank mike! And just a month ago i saw it empty in the middle of the room!

OP
OP
mikearoni

mikearoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got good news and bad news. I always like to get the bad news out of the way first.

Well, in the past week, I have noticed that the tomini tang had some problems with ich. I didnt worry too much since he was eating like a pig and grazing the tank like normal. Today my gf calls me and tells me that she cant find the tomini. She threw in some pellets and some brime, and she still could not find him. When I got home I looked around thinking maybe he was just hiding. But when I got home I found him behind a rock like this...

Sadly ten minutes after the video was taken, this is how I found him.
WARNING, may be graphic to some

IMG_1945.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back