OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the one on the tank I am buying. I am moving it to the temporary tank so I can setup the temporary quickly. It’s 15 years old. He has no idea who made it.

For the 120 I will build a custom over flow.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great progress Mike. Welcome to R2R !!! Following along...

MR BEAN 2.jpg

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is the one on the tank I am buying. I am moving it to the temporary tank so I can setup the temporary quickly. It’s 15 years old. He has no idea who made it.

For the 120 I will build a custom over flow.
Well, I'm following to see the progress. What pump are you using for your water mixing station? I'm gonna order a duplicate of the return pump on my 120 (current USA e-flux 6011 DC 3170gph) that way I can strip it from the mixing station if the pump on the tank ever fails.

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pump decision makes a lot sense and could save you someday.

I didn’t know what to get. It took me several days of reading and searching what others did. I finally bought a pan world 50px. I need enough head pressure to go up a floor, but I didn’t think flow rate was important. Also it seemed to match what I saw other people using. Mostly I saw pan worlds and iwakis on everyone else’s mixing stations.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your pump decision makes a lot sense and could save you someday.

I didn’t know what to get. It took me several days of reading and searching what others did. I finally bought a pan world 50px. I need enough head pressure to go up a floor, but I didn’t think flow rate was important. Also it seemed to match what I saw other people using. Mostly I saw pan worlds and iwakis on everyone else’s mixing stations.
I looked at that pump also but for a little but more I'll have added insurance. I didn't know if you had purchased the pump yet and just wanted to share my thought.

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at that pump also but for a little but more I'll have added insurance. I didn't know if you had purchased the pump yet and just wanted to share my thought.
I appreciate it. :)

I will need a return pump for the DT. I will keep your pump in mind.

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finished up the plumbing for the mixing station tonight. The uniseals worked well on the sides of the barrels. The bulkheads worked out for the bottom drain. I will let the pvc cement cure until tomorrow. Then I get to see how many leaks I have. ;Bored
B1900361-1876-4026-917A-137498B37AF2.jpeg

2C6177C3-691F-41C6-B278-EDD12735CA39.jpeg

3D7FEE70-2954-432B-952D-C177B812DBAF.jpeg

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing station is all done. Cleaned and flushed three times.

Now I’m making water
And still making water
And a little more water
And

Crap this 50 gpd ro is slow when filling barrels. It seemed quick enough on a 5 gal bucket, but this is like watching grass grow in the winter. Hours (mints) later and maybe an inch higher.

Sunday I bring home the 120!

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0F051F14-BC65-4C91-8D9F-A9BA66CC5261.jpeg Happy to say that I have a salt water tank.

I picked up the 120. The guy already had it all broken down. That saved a ton of time but he the rocks in buckets sitting outside in mid 30s temp. I’m pretty sure the urchin is dead. I’m not sure how much else will die.

He had all of the pvc drains just pushed together with tons of silicone around the joints. He has had it this way for 17 years. Salt creep everywhere. The wall around the tank was rotted away. When I got it home I quickly glued it together with pvc glue. No leaks now.

The overflow was the same way. Tons of silicone trying to seal the bulkheads. I found the rubber washer on the nut side of the bulkhead. Another easy fix to prevent leaks.

There is no flow in the tank at all. I added a bit of flake food and watched it slowly drift straight to the bottom. The return pump is about 600 gph and empty’s into the middle of tank through 3/4” pvc. Pointed down. That’s it for flow.

The 17 yr old bio balls were so gross I didn’t even want to touch them. Dumped straight to trash.

The tank itself has a lot of scratches on the back. I will have to try to polish it out.

The return pump is noisy. The drains are noisy.

I am bit disappointed in what I got. I guess I get why he got out. I would too if after all that time that is the tank I had.

All three of my kids helped me with the move and setup. I think they had fun finding bristle worms and hermit crabs. :)

And the holes I drilled in the 70 lined up with the overflow! And there is 190 lbs of live rock.

I guess it is all up from here.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0F051F14-BC65-4C91-8D9F-A9BA66CC5261.jpeg Happy to say that I have a salt water tank.

I picked up the 120. The guy already had it all broken down. That saved a ton of time but he the rocks in buckets sitting outside in mid 30s temp. I’m pretty sure the urchin is dead. I’m not sure how much else will die.

He had all of the pvc drains just pushed together with tons of silicone around the joints. He has had it this way for 17 years. Salt creep everywhere. The wall around the tank was rotted away. When I got it home I quickly glued it together with pvc glue. No leaks now.

The overflow was the same way. Tons of silicone trying to seal the bulkheads. I found the rubber washer on the nut side of the bulkhead. Another easy fix to prevent leaks.

There is no flow in the tank at all. I added a bit of flake food and watched it slowly drift straight to the bottom. The return pump is about 600 gph and empty’s into the middle of tank through 3/4” pvc. Pointed down. That’s it for flow.

The 17 yr old bio balls were so gross I didn’t even want to touch them. Dumped straight to trash.

The tank itself has a lot of scratches on the back. I will have to try to polish it out.

The return pump is noisy. The drains are noisy.

I am bit disappointed in what I got. I guess I get why he got out. I would too if after all that time that is the tank I had.

All three of my kids helped me with the move and setup. I think they had fun finding bristle worms and hermit crabs. :)

And the holes I drilled in the 70 lined up with the overflow! And there is 190 lbs of live rock.

I guess it is all up from here.
I hadn't got any notifications of your updates. Decided I'd check in on you. Glad you got the tank moved and I know you are a little discouraged with what you have now but that live rock alone was worth the investment. You will have an amazing tank before long. I still haven't started my water mixing station. Probably gonna be after Christmas. I think we need another update here!

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got around to posting. But I replumbed the drains. Changed the return pump to jebeao dc pump. Made a new return line. Added 2 e-flux wave makers. Added a current USA led. Trashed the fake skull.

Happy to report. Peak noise. decibel dropped from 67 to 40. Average from 57 to 35. The tank has flow. Detritus is cleaned up from the bottom. And fish look happy!

The drains are too small for the pump. I setup a herbie with 1” drains. I can only run the pump at 45% or the secondary picks up too much flow. Ok for now but not ok for long term.

I’m off to Florida on vacation!

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never got around to posting. But I replumbed the drains. Changed the return pump to jebeao dc pump. Made a new return line. Added 2 e-flux wave makers. Added a current USA led. Trashed the fake skull.

Happy to report. Peak noise. decibel dropped from 67 to 40. Average from 57 to 35. The tank has flow. Detritus is cleaned up from the bottom. And fish look happy!

The drains are too small for the pump. I setup a herbie with 1” drains. I can only run the pump at 45% or the secondary picks up too much flow. Ok for now but not ok for long term.

I’m off to Florida on vacation!

Have fun on vacation and try not to pick up critters while your there!!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/pic-of-fish-or-other-hand-collected-by-you.480895

Or do and tell me about it!!

The thread posted is about catching some fish while I was on vacation in Galveston this past August.

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t posted in quite a while.

I’ve been working on house remodeling recently. I am building a cabinet and sink for my laundry room from furniture grade plywood. Also replacing carpet and adding laminate plank flooring in some rooms. My wife is also getting a new office. Fun times...

I have been spending a lot time reading about reef-pi. I’m a mechanical engineer. Electrical stuff makes my brain hurt. I heard if you leave pizza out over night the trolls that live in the computer will be happy the next day and the computer will work. But I will figure it out with or without happy trolls. I bought a raspberry pi and am on the waiting list for a pi-hat from @theatrus .

On the tank side. I killed a fish. I was being aggressive last night cleaning detritus off the bottom of the tank. (Still lots of dirt in the rocks). I knocked a smaller rock of the pile and left it. Six hours or so later I couldn’t find one my fish. After a ten minute search I found the fish pinned under the rock. It was pretty amazing how quickly the fish was breaking down. Just one chromi left in my tank now.

Last edited:

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t posted in quite a while.

I’ve working on house remodeling recently. I am building a cabinet and sink for my laundry room from furniture grade plywood. Also replacing carpet and adding laminate plank flooring in some rooms. My wife is also getting a new office. Fun times...

I have been spending a lot time reading about reef-pi. I’m a mechanical engineer. Electrical stuff makes my brain hurt. I heard if you leave pizza out over night the trolls that live in the computer will be happy the next day and the computer will work. But I will figure it out with or without happy trolls. I bought a raspberry pi and am on the waiting list for a pi-hat from @theatrus .

On the tank side. I killed a fish. I was being aggressive last night cleaning detritus off the bottom of the tank. (Still lots of dirt in the rocks). I knocked a smaller rock of the pile and left it. Six hours or so later I couldn’t find one my fish. After a ten minute search I found the fish pinned under the rock. It was pretty amazing how quickly the fish was breaking down. Just one chromi left in my tank now.
Sorry for the loss. I think I would have to just buy an aquarium controller cuz I'd never figure out how to build one. Good luck in that adventure. Better buy lots of pizza and keep the trolls happy!

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss. I think I would have to just buy an aquarium controller cuz I'd never figure out how to build one. Good luck in that adventure. Better buy lots of pizza and keep the trolls happy!
I’ve been immersing myself in their threads. Half the stuff they say is not English I’m pretty sure. But I think I’m starting to learn their language.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been immersing myself in their threads. Half the stuff they say is not English I’m pretty sure. But I think I’m starting to learn their language.
Yeah, pretty sure it's some other language those guys speak!! LOL.

Do you have any updated pics of your tank. Have you added anything since you got it?

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6D73A208-A479-46DB-ABBC-F6112218B473.jpeg

So tonight I installed an ATO! A very simple, 0 redundant, not necessarily safe ATO. But it works and the only thing that could die if it fails is a chromi. The sump can hold all the water in the bucket. The only risk of flood is if the water tube falls out of the sump or someone knocks the bucket over. But it’s only 5 gallons.

My daughter was my ATO. Everyday she would add about a gallon of rodi. She dripped all over and would forget entirely some days. We are leaving for Christmas so I needed something more consistent.
8974EE61-A4E2-4F90-9381-CF27CBA7CC62.jpeg
D6501C46-9D61-4A8F-A104-33D8A6A13C8F.jpeg

B2BF24E3-4E4A-4C33-A093-81281A34E03A.jpeg

A rodi buckets sits on top of a fire safe. A tube is clipped onto the side and runs to a float in the sump. I started a siphon in the tube and plugged it into the float. Rodi is tasty. I attached the float to egg crate and clipped the egg crate to the sump baffle.

Done.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for your loss. Tank looks great though!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back