OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get all of your home remodeling done so you could get back to the fun stuff?
Nope. Not yet. I haven’t even been doing the home remodeling. I went to Phoenix for Christmas and now I’m in northern Michigan skiing. Someday....

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your having a good time. I just added the 2 fish from QT into my DT on Monday. I've been checking Live Aquaria everyday for that harlequin tusk but they don't have them now. So instead I ordered my backup return pump/ mixing station pump so I can get that project done.

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your having a good time. I just added the 2 fish from QT into my DT on Monday. I've been checking Live Aquaria everyday for that harlequin tusk but they don't have them now. So instead I ordered my backup return pump/ mixing station pump so I can get that project done.
Lol. Always something to spend money on! You will love the mixing station. Makes life easier.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where did you mount the HUB for your light? I'm having to order the extension to reach to the cabinet door where I have the rest of the LOOP system mounted.

We also need an update? Got anything new swimming?

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm the hub is on the back corner of the stand. I wanted to run the cord to the light down the mount but the cord wasn’t long enough. Since mounting the Velcro pad fell off. Now it hangs behind the tank. I keep telling myself this is a temporary tank and I can’t see it unless I look.

The controller is on the side but in the same corner area. It can be seen but the Velcro stayed attached and it looks good next to the jabeo controller.

This weekend I added two street ells to the stand pipe on the overflow to create a Durso. Much quieter now.

I also replaced the chandelier in my 2 story foyer. It was the first time I used scaffolding. And I didn’t die. Success!!!

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm the hub is on the back corner of the stand. I wanted to run the cord to the light down the mount but the cord wasn’t long enough. Since mounting the Velcro pad fell off. Now it hangs behind the tank. I keep telling myself this is a temporary tank and I can’t see it unless I look.

The controller is on the side but in the same corner area. It can be seen but the Velcro stayed attached and it looks good next to the jabeo controller.

This weekend I added two street ells to the stand pipe on the overflow to create a Durso. Much quieter now.

I also replaced the chandelier in my 2 story foyer. It was the first time I used scaffolding. And I didn’t die. Success!!!
I originally tried the Velcro that it came with but quickly discovered it was a no go. Got some 1/2" SS screws and screwed the mounts to the inside of the cabinet doors. They don't budge. Well if you do find the cord is long enough on your "forever tank" remember they sell 9ft extensions for like $13.

Glad you didn't die! Your one of the members here that I like to keep track of. I started on R2R just 2 days before you and we have similar wants as far as tank inhabitants.

FYI- my wife and I are thinking of adding a building in our back yard to serve as a fish room on one side (my side) and indoor gardening (her side) on the other. I'm thinking of doing a shark pond on my side! Waiting till spring to see what we can do.

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. This was supposed to be a triumph post.

I installed my controller (a reef-pi) on my tank tonight. It took 17 days from start to install.

But before I hooked my daughter said to that the fish didn’t come out to eat. That’s weird he always comes out. But whatever.

An hour later. I grab the reef-pi to hook it up and find my last fish dead. He was stuck in the overflow. I’m guessing he floated there after dying. I have no idea what happened. He was perfect last night. There was no sign of anything on him. I haven’t done anything different to the tank in weeks.

I guess it’s meant to be. Now I can let the tank go fallow to be sure no ich or velvet is in it. And the chromi would have survived with the fish I’m planning.

:(
Mike

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking a valentini puffer.

I haven’t even started acquiring quarantine equipment yet.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Valentini would be a good first choice since they are so peaceful. That'll give it a chance to establish before more aggressive additions.

So what about the controller? Was it a success?

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the controller is a success. It hold temp nearly constant. I’m also using it right now as a simple timer to shut off the skimmer during evening hours for noise. Someday I’ll use it for a awc and ATO.

It was much easier than I expected. I spent around 120-130 to build it.

I thought the puffer would be good to start with because it will be my smallest fish and this gives it a chance to grow before adding others. Also if I only have one fish for a while I want it to have personality.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly report.

Tank empty of fish.

Reef-pi working perfectly.

Thinking of making another reef-pi for the freshwater tank.

Home projects keep breeding and I can’t catch up. Finished a wood floor install in upstairs hallway.

Going to try to setup adafruit telemetry for the reef pi so I will get an alert if something goes wrong.

We adopted two cats. They can’t replace the one eaten by a coyote last fall (that was the best cat I’ve ever known) but they are pretty good cats.

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.

Not really. I am finishing the controller for the freshwater tank. And I am converting it to a planted tank.

Otherwise. I haven’t done anything different with the salt tank since putting a controller on it. It is insane how long it is taking me to start.

I still need to finish building the laundry room cabinets and build barn doors for the new office. Spring is arriving and with that I can use the garage more for projects. But spring sports are staring for the kids so I won’t be home. Ugh

Excuses excuses. Your tank looks good though.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.

Not really. I am finishing the controller for the freshwater tank. And I am converting it to a planted tank.

Otherwise. I haven’t done anything different with the salt tank since putting a controller on it. It is insane how long it is taking me to start.

I still need to finish building the laundry room cabinets and build barn doors for the new office. Spring is arriving and with that I can use the garage more for projects. But spring sports are staring for the kids so I won’t be home. Ugh

Excuses excuses. Your tank looks good though.
You’ll get there.

How’s the controller working out and what all is it programmed to do?

OP
OP
Mikeneedsahobby

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the salt tank. It is monitoring temp, controlling the heater, and shutting the skimmer off in the evening. It is setup to email me if temperature ever goes too high or low or if I lose power at the house. Soon I will have it monitor ph. In the far distant future I will have it to do water top off and water changes.

The fresh water also is controlling the LED lights. It is $40 fixture with just on or off. The controller ramps white and blue lights from morning to midday then back to off. (Like the orbit marine lights we have)

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the salt tank. It is monitoring temp, controlling the heater, and shutting the skimmer off in the evening. It is setup to email me if temperature ever goes too high or low or if I lose power at the house. Soon I will have it monitor ph. In the far distant future I will have it to do water top off and water changes.

The fresh water also is controlling the LED lights. It is $40 fixture with just on or off. The controller ramps white and blue lights from morning to midday then back to off. (Like the orbit marine lights we have)
Alerting to an outage would be great! I may have to look into something that will do that for me. I don’t want to rely on the alert from the power company. It worked last week but it may not one day.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 39 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back