OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure. Looking at your posts last 4 pages, it does not seem that he is sick but he is just not happy. Don't feed him much, I find that Magnifica does not eat anywhere near as much as Gigatea or Haddoni. Remove the shrimps is the right call IMO. Just watch him for a few days then decide what to do next. If he deflates, then treat him but if he just decline, I would just watch him.
Do you have option of move him to a different tank?

I do not have another tank @OrionN

I will get one if I have to though.

I do have powerhead and heater but no light.

Also, it has not been fed in months.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not getting worst is good. I would make sure that you have good stable water condition, especially watch or pH spike. I had high Ca usage tank in the past (huge Gigas clam and a lot of SPS) and have to added a lot of Ca and Alkalinity. pH spike from too fast, too much Kalk and too fast Alkalinity addition will bother my anemones.
Other than this, I would start to feed him. It help them a lot in recover from stress and injury. You should not feed Magnifica too much. IMO, unlike the carpets, Magnifica evolved eating a lot smaller preys. They cannot capture a healthy small fish like Haddoni or Gigantea. Given too much food Magnifica will deflated and regurgitate the food resulting is a sicker anemone instead of better.
To feed a 6 inches Magnifica, I would feed him food that is about cube of food about .25 inch side. Roughly standard pencil size piece about .25 inch long. 1-2 cube very 3 days. That amount of is appropriate to get this anemone to heal himself and grow. They got to have food to heal quickly, if you correct what ever bother him in the first place.
He is beautiful. Good luck with him. I would not remove him and treat him. This would really stress him.
I always try my very best not to remove an anemone from their attachment because this will result in injury and stress them unless it is really easy like on glass and you can use a razor blade to remove him.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not getting worst is good. I would make sure that you have good stable water condition, especially watch or pH spike. I had high Ca usage tank in the past (huge Gigas clam and a lot of SPS) and have to added a lot of Ca and Alkalinity. pH spike from too fast, too much Kalk and too fast Alkalinity addition will bother my anemones.
Other than this, I would start to feed him. It help them a lot in recover from stress and injury. You should not feed Magnifica too much. IMO, unlike the carpets, Magnifica evolved eating a lot smaller preys. They cannot capture a healthy small fish like Haddoni or Gigantea. Given too much food Magnifica will deflated and regurgitate the food resulting is a sicker anemone instead of better.
To feed a 6 inches Magnifica, I would feed him food that is about cube of food about .25 inch side. Roughly standard pencil size piece about .25 inch long. 1-2 cube very 3 days. That amount of is appropriate to get this anemone to heal himself and grow. They got to have food to heal quickly, if you correct what ever bother him in the first place.
He is beautiful. Good luck with him. I would not remove him and treat him. This would really stress him.
I always try my very best not to remove an anemone from their attachment because this will result in injury and stress them unless it is really easy like on glass and you can use a razor blade to remove him.

Thanks @OrionN

I will try to feed him today an eraser sized piece of shrimp that has soaked in Selcon.

My alk has been 7.8 - 8 dkh for about a year.

NO3 8-12 for a year
PO4 .03 - .1 for a year

Thanks so much for the advice.

As an FYI, I have a deresa clam for a year that’s growing , an LTA that’s growing, 2 rbta growing so I feel parameters and lighting is good and stable.

Perhaps NO3 or PO4 is too high for a Magnifica?

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate and phosphate should be OK for Magnifica. pH is a notoriously difficult to consistently measure, but as long as it is stable, it should be fine as is. I don't put much stock in pH other than that it is stable and reasonably high.
Regarding Alkalinity, I think you mean dKH, of 7.8-8.0. Meaning alkalinity of just about 2.75-2.85 meq/L in term of alkalinity.
I would consider doing the normal amount of water change. I find that often when I neglect to do water change, my corals and anemones does not do great, even if all the commonly measured parameters are great.
I think there is build up of trace toxin and/or depletion of trace nutrients that account for the "bad water" I never send my water for testing so I don't know, but tend to lead toward depletion of needed trace nutrients because most reefers who successfully employed no water changes regiment, all have very good nutrient exports and addition of trace elements to their tanks. This along with having fewer fishes, and cut down of feeding their fishes, which I find not acceptable, so I never try to employ the no water change methods.

Good luck.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate and phosphate should be OK for Magnifica. pH is a notoriously difficult to consistently measure, but as long as it is stable, it should be fine as is. I don't put much stock in pH other than that it is stable and reasonably high.
Regarding Alkalinity, I think you mean dKH, of 7.8-8.0. Meaning alkalinity of just about 2.75-2.85 meq/L in term of alkalinity.
I would consider doing the normal amount of water change. I find that often when I neglect to do water change, my corals and anemones does not do great, even if all the commonly measured parameters are great.
I think there is build up of trace toxin and/or depletion of trace nutrients that account for the "bad water" I never send my water for testing so I don't know, but tend to lead toward depletion of needed trace nutrients because most reefers who successfully employed no water changes regiment, all have very good nutrient exports and addition of trace elements to their tanks. This along with having fewer fishes, and cut down of feeding their fishes, which I find not acceptable, so I never try to employ the no water change methods.

Good luck.

Great. We are very much on the same page. I feed a lot of fish well and often. I do 25% water change every month and maintain stable parameters.

I also run a bag of carbon always.

I will feed the Magnifica every 3 days the recommended size piece of shrimp or fresh clam.

Also, I just fed it as you recommended. Place the food on the mouth and it ate it.

The mouth which had been a tan color immediately turned white when it ate. It used to be white when it was happy so I hope it is a good sign.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing done for the week.

Alk 7.9

NO3 12

PO4 .055

And a FTS
611142cbb9dc8a79f40a50d1d98d7d1a.jpg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is the long overdue tour of my sump.....with voice over.......made for and dedicated to @RichtheReefer21

I am flattered mike. Haha. Great video and walk through. Covered it all. That trigger is a beautiful addition Mike. Hope all is well, we'll catch ya next time on, Fish Bowlers 2019! :D

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ag
Thanks for the sump tour. Always nice to see everyone’s set up
Agreed. I think I'm gonna beef up my overflow drain section. I use matrix as well @mta_morrow . Stuff is amazing.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank and set up, great explanation.
Thanks @PanchoG

Thanks for stopping by a checking out tank and build thread. I’m heading over to check yours out now!

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t see it either! I have always likes these guys but never gave it much thought until he kept following me at the LFS with puppy dog eyes and a smile [emoji4]

Here’s a pic from the LFS right after he asked me to take him home with me.
092d3e6169b3a9dc16e0ed0011e81259.jpg
Triggers are really cool, if would set up a predator tank they would be the first one in!

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN @Eagle_Steve

I think the Magnifica is looking and doing a bit better. I repositioned the rock it’s Attached to. Better flow and I believe mix of light. Still at 12K and 289-300 par.

I have also been feeding small pieces of shrimp soaked in selcon every 3 days. Pencil eraser size.

It’s expanded about 30-40% more than it has been. Also seeing the column a bit vs not at all as it was just flat on the rock.

I will keep this same routine going unless there is anything else you recommend.

DEBF9371-E698-45AA-B8E4-96CC2DA4A9C2.jpeg F8861E2E-6096-4D0D-8D65-1364AAEC209B.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN @Eagle_Steve

I think the Magnifica is looking and doing a bit better. I repositioned the rock it’s Attached to. Better flow and I believe mix of light. Still at 12K and 289-300 par.

I have also been feeding small pieces of shrimp soaked in selcon every 3 days. Pencil eraser size.

It’s expanded about 30-40% more than it has been. Also seeing the column a bit vs not at all as it was just flat on the rock.

I will keep this same routine going unless there is anything else you recommend.

DEBF9371-E698-45AA-B8E4-96CC2DA4A9C2.jpeg F8861E2E-6096-4D0D-8D65-1364AAEC209B.jpeg
If it is responding positively to this I would keep at it. And this is been added to my notebook for helping mags in this situation. Also, like @OrionN stated mags are not super eaters like haddonis and such, so do not over feed it.

But other than that, awesome and glad to see improvement and keep us updated on the progress. Slow and steady wins the race with mags.

OP
OP
mta_morrow

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is responding positively to this I would keep at it. And this is been added to my notebook for helping mags in this situation. Also, like @OrionN stated mags are not super eaters like haddonis and such, so do not over feed it.

But other than that, awesome and glad to see improvement and keep us updated on the progress. Slow and steady wins the race with mags.
@Eagle_Steve if there is any other information I can provide for your notes and records, please let me know. Especially if it can help someone else someday!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve if there is any other information I can provide for your notes and records, please let me know. Especially if it can help someone else someday!
Will do. I plan to go through them today, as I have to make some more about the puffers we just got and the hybrid TTM they are about to undergo.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back