rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumped on the ladder for a sec...

7516831296_IMG_1938_zpsrwupuxyz.jpg

I love it how things grow around the mangroves. The tri-color for example has grew around the left one and is peaking out. Not sure why all my setosa colonies are on the back side... great at coral placement isn't my thing I guess.

In the top right is my giant red rock anemone. I should get a good quality shot of it. It's a good 6in wide now. I've had it for years and don't do a thing with it. Once it did move, and got caught in my overflow, but I saved it, and look at it now.

This side of the tank used to be all green birdsnest. Right above the large milka stylo. I fragged it up, as the bottom had died and it just didn't please me. That's why we have a bunch of frags there on the bottom-right. Not sure what will take off and end up being there. (And I have 20 birdsnest frags err...colonies now...to get rid of. I can't give it away fast enough)

At the far top-right is reefgen green lemon-lime goniopora. The tentacles are super-long! I should get a shot of it. It may be because it's in the corner and stretching for light, or just how it is, but it's something. I also have a reefgen aquacultured symphillia, which I don't even see on their site anymore. It's the red with white ring you see below the green montipora cap. It's a super slow grower, but love that little guy. I mean nobody aquacultures symphilla right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JF Beach Bum...grow...grow

7583893920_IMG_2008_zpstdcycg6e.jpg

Same pic with different cropping and the exposure changed a bit. I couldn’t decide which one I liked ;)
IMG_0324_zpslvydtldp.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some evening shots... I tweaked these a bit, mainly because I liked them but they were a bit dark with full blues on with my white balance set to my daylight.

Reef Raft Orange Passion with Turquoise Stunner in the foreground
IMG_0332_zpsvogsxfc1.jpg

PC Rainbow and Unique Corals Bananarama hiding behind the green slimer
IMG_0331_zps7oi9d2sa.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a full tank shot with a Canon EF 28mm/1.8f lens. This is the most detailed full tank shot I’ve ever taken, but overall I’m not happy with the lens, so I’m going to try a different one.

And my ATO failed, and I’m taking pics when I should be fixing it instead ;)

7518818848_IMG_2035_zpslxgj3qfp.jpg

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Just received my mangroves today. How did you put yours in? I was thinking of gluing or squeezing them in some crevices.

On the right side with the rock I just stuck the propagules into the rock. It was tall enough to keep them poking out. They occasionally popped out until the roots started growing. On the left side I took a stick of bamboo and plastic tied them to it. The roots are still growing, but someday I’ll take out the stick once the roots are secure. The roots on the right side are intense. I’ve got a video of them somewhere in this thread. Good luck, they are slow growers for sure.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank. I'm in the process of building something somewhat similar... 60x30x18, and will be using Triton. Perhaps, with a little luck, one of these days it'll look that good :)

Dan I

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the right side with the rock I just stuck the propagules into the rock. It was tall enough to keep them poking out. They occasionally popped out until the roots started growing. On the left side I took a stick of bamboo and plastic tied them to it. The roots are still growing, but someday I’ll take out the stick once the roots are secure. The roots on the right side are intense. I’ve got a video of them somewhere in this thread. Good luck, they are slow growers for sure.

Okay, I'll try out the bamboo with plastic ties for one side. Most likely have to do this on my day off to keep an eye on them. I might even mini rescape my tank to add in the mangroves.

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I'll try out the bamboo with plastic ties for one side. Most likely have to do this on my day off to keep an eye on them. I might even mini rescape my tank to add in the mangroves.

I know people float them with styrofoam, but I never had luck keeping them in place. I had some bamboo sticks that came with plants I got in the mail. No problems so far.

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looking tank. I'm in the process of building something somewhat similar... 60x30x18, and will be using Triton. Perhaps, with a little luck, one of these days it'll look that good :)

Ha, I was going shallow too but I kept increasing it! Good luck. My only regret is not make it 2ft bigger. (Some family member thought it would make the room look silly if it was too big. Hehe) Plan the flow out! I didn’t and I’ve yet to get something I like.

Last edited:

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, I was going shallow too but I kept increasing it! Good luck. My only regret is not make it 2ft bigger. (Some family member thought it would make the room look silly if it was too big. Hehe Plan the flow out! I didn’t and I’ve yet to get something I like.

Planning flow... I filled mine with tapwater, ran it for a week to look at sump flow, noise levels, make sure I was going to be happy with the plumbing. Drained it, cleaned it, changed a bit of plumbing, and some internal baffles in my sump... refilled with RO/DI. I'm planning to add all of my circulation pumps and mix salt in place. I'll start looking at flow patterns then.

Bigger? No, thanks. Shallow? Yup. Like the look.

OP
OP
rinckemd

rinckemd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning flow... I filled mine with tapwater, ran it for a week to look at sump flow, noise levels, make sure I was going to be happy with the plumbing. Drained it, cleaned it, changed a bit of plumbing, and some internal baffles in my sump... refilled with RO/DI. I'm planning to add all of my circulation pumps and mix salt in place. I'll start looking at flow patterns then.

Bigger? No, thanks. Shallow? Yup. Like the look.

I’m generally happy with mine. I have 1 full siphon drain and one backup. When it’s working, it’s great and the loudest thing are the darn radion fans. One problem I do have is that I run my carbon off the return. After a few weeks the carbon gets a bit clogged up, flow goes down through it, and more goes into the tank, then I start to get a bit down my backup drain, which I can hear.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m generally happy with mine. I have 1 full siphon drain and one backup. When it’s working, it’s great and the loudest thing are the darn radion fans. One problem I do have is that I run my carbon off the return. After a few weeks the carbon gets a bit clogged up, flow goes down through it, and more goes into the tank, then I start to get a bit down my backup drain, which I can hear.

I'm using a standard BeAnAnimal 3 tube system. I've used overflow powered, and manifold powered equipment in the past... never been happy with it. Too hard to keep adjusted. It's a good idea, and done right, they look great, but never worked out for me.

Noise is a big concern for me. This thing is a few feet away from where I sit and watch TV! My T5 light makes very little noise :) Overflow is nearly silent, sump and equipment are all in a closet behind the tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back