OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, a definitive diagnosis isn't possible remotely, and sometimes, not even in person.

Skip the herbtana, it is just a herbal tonic. Mixing medication with focus and feeding it to your fish also won’t work unless you calculate the dose properly (see the two files on medicated foods at the top of this section).

Based on the few clues I can see in the pictures, I’d say the fish could have flukes. The freshwater dips mentioned will buy you some time, but only one species, Neobenedenia, is large enough to be seen without a microscope in the dip water.

I think you should consider treating the tank with Prazipro, 2x a week apart. Add extra aeration, and run your skimmer, but with no cup.

Jay
Thank you for your response, I appreciate your help.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes, a definitive diagnosis isn't possible remotely, and sometimes, not even in person.

Skip the herbtana, it is just a herbal tonic. Mixing medication with focus and feeding it to your fish also won’t work unless you calculate the dose properly (see the two files on medicated foods at the top of this section).

Based on the few clues I can see in the pictures, I’d say the fish could have flukes. The freshwater dips mentioned will buy you some time, but only one species, Neobenedenia, is large enough to be seen without a microscope in the dip water.

I think you should consider treating the tank with Prazipro, 2x a week apart. Add extra aeration, and run your skimmer, but with no cup.

Jay
Here is an update on the clown. Would you still think it could be flukes? Or Brooklynella? I have since stopped herbtana and put carbon in the filter since the last time we spoke. I will try switching to Metroplex? The prazipro is coming in a few days. I also setup a 10 gallon quarantine/hospital tank. Won't be ready until tomorrow. Waiting for salt to fully dissolve.
IMG_20210809_154739829_BURST031~2.jpg
IMG_20210809_154643292.jpg
IMG_20210809_135447718.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the videos again - I'm just not seeing overt signs of Brooklynella. What do you plan to use the treatment tank for? It will need some sort of biofilter to control the ammonia.

Have you given the fish all a FW dip yet? That would be the first step - to buy you some time and also diagnostically, so see if it improves things.

Avoid the focus/medications, they just won't work unless you do the proper calculations (you can review the two articles at the top of this section if you want to go that route). In fact, look at your Focus package. on the back it says use at a 5:1 focus/medication ratio. Then read the bottle instructions - mine says use at a 1:1 ratio. That is a five-fold difference! Seems even Seachem doesn't know what dose to use (grin).

If this is flukes, you can treat with Prazipro right in your main tank, just dose two times, about 10 days apart and increase the tank aeration and remove the skimmer cup.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the videos again - I'm just not seeing overt signs of Brooklynella. What do you plan to use the treatment tank for? It will need some sort of biofilter to control the ammonia.

Have you given the fish all a FW dip yet? That would be the first step - to buy you some time and also diagnostically, so see if it improves things.

Avoid the focus/medications, they just won't work unless you do the proper calculations (you can review the two articles at the top of this section if you want to go that route). In fact, look at your Focus package. on the back it says use at a 5:1 focus/medication ratio. Then read the bottle instructions - mine says use at a 1:1 ratio. That is a five-fold difference! Seems even Seachem doesn't know what dose to use (grin).

If this is flukes, you can treat with Prazipro right in your main tank, just dose two times, about 10 days apart and increase the tank aeration and remove the skimmer cup.

Jay
Ok, prazipro is comming tomorrow fingers crossed. Did you see the pictures of the clowns? Yes every fish was fw dipped yesterday for 5 minutes. I put a couple Seachem Matrix Bio Media from DT in the hob filter on the 10g with some new media in there.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Ok I put in prazipro, I have plenty of surface agitation, I tried putting my skimmer on with the bubbles and no cup...That didn't work. It began overflowing! So I have the skimmer on with no bubbles, but it's loud, should I still leave it on even though there's no bubbles? And removed carbon, Uv sterilizer broke somehow, Light won't turn on, just bought new bulbs 2 months ago. Here is a vid of surface agitation, and qt setup if needed.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I put in prazipro, I have plenty of surface agitation, I tried putting my skimmer on with the bubbles and no cup...That didn't work. It began overflowing! So I have the skimmer on with no bubbles, but it's loud, should I still leave it on even though there's no bubbles? And removed carbon, Uv sterilizer broke somehow, Light won't turn on, just bought new bulbs 2 months ago. Here is a vid of surface agitation, and qt setup if needed.
My skimmers can be run back into the tank without collecting skimmate, but if yours can't then just leave it off.

In looking at your whole tank in this video, I can see it is a very new system. How long has it been set up? I don't even see any diatom growth yet.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmers can be run back into the tank without collecting skimmate, but if yours can't then just leave it off.

In looking at your whole tank in this video, I can see it is a very new system. How long has it been set up? I don't even see any diatom growth yet.

Jay
There is diatoms...It's been 2 months.

This is a pic from right now. No lights.
16286402405211796812934554335728.jpg

And a vid. I think I have some green Coraline also.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
So, since my first dose of prazipro, I have noticed that the tang still has blurry/milky eyes and skin aswell as all the other fish, hazey/milky skin. I have also given them some selcon mixed with a couple drops of prazipro in their food yesterday to get them to ingest the meds and they did eat it. Should I be seeing any results as far as them getting better yet?

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 Update...Tang and clowns seem to be doing better. Just noticed goby is still itching on sand and his eyes are blurrier than the rest of them. What do I do? Should I move him to my hospital tank and treat him with kana/Metroplex? He also has 2 white dots on his tail. Saw them yesterday aswell. They are in the same spot.

Mind you, tang and clowns still have a very slight haze on them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
PraziPro will not do anything with milky skin or blurry eyes which are bacterial and not flukes. Maracyn 1 or 2 will be more of a treatment and lack of recent pics makes it hard to reassess where the fish stand as of today.
As for diatoms, just alone , reduction of white lights will help. Diatoms are a brown algae that typically appear in a reef tank that has just completed its cycle but they can also appear in an established reef tank. They can cover sand, rock, pumps, glass, you name it. Diatoms look ugly but in most cases they are harmless so the key is to not panic when they appear.
Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Unfiltered tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to jump start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this from happening is to filter water through a RODI unit, although you can still get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge that removes silicates expires.
diatoms are typically harmless to a captive reef and can be beaten once their food source expires. Once you put the kibosh on the source, the outbreak should last a couple of weeks so just be patient and it will pass. For major outbreaks you may want to consider the three day blackout. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.
To prevent their return, practice good aquarium husbandry by doing regular water changes, keep the substrate clean, don’t overfeed the fish, ensure your skimmer is running at an optimal level and rinse out filter socks and sponges on a regular basis.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PraziPro will not do anything with milky skin or blurry eyes which are bacterial and not flukes. Maracyn 1 or 2 will be more of a treatment and lack of recent pics makes it hard to reassess where the fish stand as of today.
As for diatoms, just alone , reduction of white lights will help. Diatoms are a brown algae that typically appear in a reef tank that has just completed its cycle but they can also appear in an established reef tank. They can cover sand, rock, pumps, glass, you name it. Diatoms look ugly but in most cases they are harmless so the key is to not panic when they appear.
Diatoms feed mainly off of silicates but also consume dissolved organic compounds, phosphate and nitrates. Unfiltered tap water can contain silicates and is a good way to jump start a bloom if you use it to mix salt or to replace water that evaporated from the tank. The best way to prevent this from happening is to filter water through a RODI unit, although you can still get a diatom bloom when using RODI if the cartridge that removes silicates expires.
diatoms are typically harmless to a captive reef and can be beaten once their food source expires. Once you put the kibosh on the source, the outbreak should last a couple of weeks so just be patient and it will pass. For major outbreaks you may want to consider the three day blackout. Diatoms are easily wiped from the glass with a mag float, a turkey baster or a toothbrush can access other areas of the tank. Be prepared for them to re-establish themselves quickly, they are likely to be able to resettle and have exponential growth rates.
To prevent their return, practice good aquarium husbandry by doing regular water changes, keep the substrate clean, don’t overfeed the fish, ensure your skimmer is running at an optimal level and rinse out filter socks and sponges on a regular basis.
Some cleaner crew to help control it are : Cerith snails, Nerite snails and Trochus snails and also Astraea snails are effective at removing diatoms.
@vetteguy53081 I have only prazipro, Metroplex, Kanaplex, and selcon atm. Will any of these work?
Symptoms blurry eye, a little hue of red on tail, and 2 white dots on tail for goby. Tang blurry skin, very slight blurry eyes, some redness over gills. They have had this for over about a week now. Have been using selcon with food. Doesn't seem to be getting worse or better.
IMG_20210814_125426224_BURST097~3.jpg
IMG_20210814_125411292_BURST009~3.jpg
IMG_20210814_125346932_BURST011~3.jpg

And is this the product?
Screenshot_20210814-133340~2.png

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oxy is for fungus and prazi better than nothing, but not whats needed. FW dip (same temp as display tank) will help offer some relief. Ruby Rally reef will also work

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 Update...Tang and clowns seem to be doing better. Just noticed goby is still itching on sand and his eyes are blurrier than the rest of them. What do I do? Should I move him to my hospital tank and treat him with kana/Metroplex? He also has 2 white dots on his tail. Saw them yesterday aswell. They are in the same spot.

Mind you, tang and clowns still have a very slight haze on them.
When is your second dose of prazi scheduled for?

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
@Jay Hemdal I know your the expert but I'd rather switch to Kanaplex... Would've been in 5 more days so 10 days after the first dose like you said, but if you look at the recent pictures, it looks like more bacterial to me, please relook at the recent pictures and please tell me your thoughts, and how certain you are on your diagnosis. I am stressed about my fish and Sorry if I am chatting in a bad sounding tone, I just had oral surgery yesterday. There is some red on the tang and the goby is itching. I just put carbon in the filter to remove the remainder of what's left of the prazipro so I can dose Kanaplex. I am not seeing much improvement. But it doesn't seem to be getting worse either, just concerned of the redness on the tangs gills...my reason for wanting to dose Kanaplex.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
@Jay Hemdal Now, I assume you want me to use prazipro because flukes may be the root of the problem. I assume you think that I have a bacterial infection because of the flukes. Please tell me if I am wrong. Looking for advice here. :)

As far as the fish's health goes, shouldn't the fish almost be healed by now? I am just voicing my opinion.

If I dose Kanaplex, yes I'll have to move my inverts to a hospital tank in the meantime. Will it make my fish recover from the assumed bacterial infection?, most likely, will the infection come back? Possibly.

Now, my thought is why would the goby still be itching on the sandbed after all this time?

You might laugh and say I'm stupid for all this. I am learning, and this is just the way I am. Taking risks to better learn for the future.

Would you still recommend prazipro? I will do whatever you tell me as long as I am able to. But if my fish die, I'd blame it on myself. I know your trying to help and I appreciate it alot. I've just met you and my first impressions of you suggest you are smart, and you have alot of experience in the reefing hobby. Please help me save my fish! :)

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I know your the expert but I'd rather switch to Kanaplex... Would've been in 5 more days so 10 days after the first dose like you said, but if you look at the recent pictures, it looks like more bacterial to me, please relook at the recent pictures and please tell me your thoughts, and how certain you are on your diagnosis. I am stressed about my fish and Sorry if I am chatting in a bad sounding tone, I just had oral surgery yesterday. There is some red on the tang and the goby is itching. I just put carbon in the filter to remove the remainder of what's left of the prazipro so I can dose Kanaplex. I am not seeing much improvement. But it doesn't seem to be getting worse either, just concerned of the redness on the tangs gills...my reason for wanting to dose Kanaplex.

Multiple disease issues can of course happen - but I was just curious when the next prazi dose was, as a single dose won't take care of the issue. Secondary bacterial infections can happen after flukes, but they are fairly rare. The root trouble is that gross visual signs really cannot differentiate between many fish disease issues.

I just saw your previous comment about adding prazipro to the food - that is definitely not the right thing to do, the solvent that is used is not appropriate for oral dosing, Prazipro needs to be used only as a bath. Praziquantel powder, with no solvent, can be used orally, but you cannot just soak food in it, it needs to be dosed at a specific amount per weight of fish.

You may well need to dose antibiotics along with the prazipro in the water. Kanaplex is my "go to" antibiotic for unknown bacterial issues.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Multiple disease issues can of course happen - but I was just curious when the next prazi dose was, as a single dose won't take care of the issue. Secondary bacterial infections can happen after flukes, but they are fairly rare. The root trouble is that gross visual signs really cannot differentiate between many fish disease issues.

I just saw your previous comment about adding prazipro to the food - that is definitely not the right thing to do, the solvent that is used is not appropriate for oral dosing, Prazipro needs to be used only as a bath. Praziquantel powder, with no solvent, can be used orally, but you cannot just soak food in it, it needs to be dosed at a specific amount per weight of fish.

You may well need to dose antibiotics along with the prazipro in the water. Kanaplex is my "go to" antibiotic for unknown bacterial issues.

Jay
Yes but I read your not supposed to mix Kanaplex and prazipro as it can cause a bacterial bloom?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but I read your not supposed to mix Kanaplex and prazipro as it can cause a bacterial bloom?

No, that isn't true. The solvent in Prazipro is attacked by heterotrophic bacteria, and they bloom when it is present. This can cause a drop in the oxygen levels in a tank. You need to increase aeration during any prazipro treatment. Kanaplex kills bacteria. It sometimes harms your beneficial bacteria. You need to monitor you ammonia levels while dosing it.

Jay

Marco Vasquez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I hope this help more...
Tang has some milky patches on skin, looks like dry human skin, I'll just say irritated skin,his eyes are also starting to go blurry/ milky.and maybe he has an ich spot or 2.

It seems to me the Goby has a slight red color to his back tail and some damage to his tail. Also the tail looks milky to me. And has white stringy poop.

The clownfish have the stringy poop too and it's white. Also the clear part of the fins are not as clear as they usually are, going to call it milky. And also I just noticed all these things floating in the water towards the end of clownfish video. Going to guess a copepod outbreak?

Please let me know your thoughts. It is very appreciated.
One of my clowns just died and I noticed stringy poop. A good friend of mine has had aquariums his whole life and is very knowledgeable. He told me it’s likely tapeworm. I’ve been treating with Prazipro for about two weeks and the other clown looks great. She’s doing 100% better.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back