"Millie" Madness!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I am battling Green Hair Algae, should I still feed? I am currently running a small amount of GFO and also I started dosing Prodibio to consume more nutrients and starve out the algae. I was planning to feed again once the algae slows down.

Thanks!

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one...
image.jpg

Colony shot?

Do you still have a frag available of this?

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am battling Green Hair Algae, should I still feed? I am currently running a small amount of GFO and also I started dosing Prodibio to consume more nutrients and starve out the algae. I was planning to feed again once the algae slows down.

Thanks!

I'm a big fan of feeding, having seen the results over time. Of course, in a closed system, you need to have some robust nutrient export in order to compensate for the metabolic waste and even (uh- oh) uneaten food that inevitably accumulates...If you're battling an algae problem, it's best to look into the root causes- which, as you surmise- are almost always caused by some sort of accumulation of excess nutrients and a lapse in one of the husbandry or export aspects of your system...Soemtimes it's as easy as remembering to change the RO/DI membrane. Other times, it's a mysterious leaching and accumulation of something undesirable in the system. Most often, it's a combination of a few things. The best advise is to kind of get a handle on water chem, then do a brief review of all of your husbandry practices to see if there is a breakdown somewhere...I have confidence that you'll find it! IN the mean time, I'd still feed carefully...The idea being that desirable life forms can out compete the algae for available nutrients...

Good luck!

Scott

Black Pearl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article Scott, just received a couple of millies from you guys and they are terrific, despite the horrible ride they had with Fed Ex. Well encrusted and polyp extentions right away, hairy colorful millies can't beat them

Triton US

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article Scott, just received a couple of millies from you guys and they are terrific, despite the horrible ride they had with Fed Ex. Well encrusted and polyp extentions right away, hairy colorful millies can't beat them

Glad you love those Millies! Sorry to hear of the rough trip...It's the one "X" factor in e-commerce for corals- shipping. On a bad day, a shipper can take a great bunch of corals and put them well on the way to becoming calcium reactor media...The good news is that we stand by everything and will replace/credit/refund as needed to make buying from us a 100% worry free experience....I wish shippers could offer the same, lol!

Scott

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL The best part about running two forums is that I forget what "persona" I'm in at times! LOL

Scott

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We will use "Coral RX", "Revive" or even diluted Lugols. On newly imported wild colonies, we tend to go more full strength...

-Scott
Scott,

Would you prefer the dips you listed over RPS All Out?
Is the purple milli a different color than your Raspberry?
Also if you have to frag the coral for RTN how much health tissue would you
recommend cutting off?

I have had bad luck in the past with millis but my tank is running better now and I
would like to give them a try again.

Thanks for the article!

Paul

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott,

Would you prefer the dips you listed over RPS All Out?
Is the purple milli a different color than your Raspberry?
Also if you have to frag the coral for RTN how much health tissue would you
recommend cutting off?

I have had bad luck in the past with millis but my tank is running better now and I
would like to give them a try again.

Thanks for the article!

Paul

Hi Paul,

They are all pretty good products...All Out works fine, too.

The purple and Raspberry Millie do have some differences when you see them in person as opposed to in a pic, and they look distinctly different, IMHO.

If cutting away RTN, I'd cut a small amount ( a few centimeters, I suppose) of healthy tissue as well. This acts as a margin and gives healthy tissue a chance to regenerate (in theory, of course!).

Yeah- Give Millies a try if you're up for the challenge! Actually, they are not that hard- they just like their requirements met and then they will do all of the hard work! LOL

Thanks!

Scott

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent thread, thanks for all the info.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back