Milwaukee MA887 Salinity tester reading off!!!!!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, when I ran out, I used RODI for calibration and that put the unit off. It was saying 1.026 when in reality my water was 1.023. You need to use distilled water to calibrate it. When I did this then it matched their verification fluid at 1.026.
I've tested my own diy reference solution after calibrating with rodi and it wasn't off. I also don't trust their reference solution, when I first got mine and calibrated it with the provided distilled water it never matched the provided reference solution.

Plus the instructions from Milwaukee say to use distilled or de-ionized water to calibrate with. So I don't see why rodi water would cause an issue. I would make your own reference solution and check that to validate your calibration.

Magik884

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mind clarifying whom them and they are you are speaking of?
Sorry for the vauge reply. I called milwaukee instruments to find out about the distilled water used to zero their salinity tester.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tested my own diy reference solution after calibrating with rodi and it wasn't off. I also don't trust their reference solution, when I first got mine and calibrated it with the provided distilled water it never matched the provided reference solution.

Plus the instructions from Milwaukee say to use distilled or de-ionized water to calibrate with. So I don't see why rodi water would cause an issue. I would make your own reference solution and check that to validate your calibration.
I thought mine was fine too until my ICP test came back at 1.023. As I back tracked the problem because I always mix at 1.026 I discovered that my RODI was giving a slightly off calibration for the unit. Not major but enough. When I tried distilled for calibration it brought everything back in line for me.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought mine was fine too until my ICP test came back at 1.023. As I back tracked the problem because I always mix at 1.026 I discovered that my RODI was giving a slightly off calibration for the unit. Not major but enough. When I tried distilled for calibration it brought everything back in line for me.
Well I think I will try testing a sample after calibrating it both ways and see if I get a difference. I've calibrated with rodi and it matched my diy reference solution, my optical refractometer, and my apex salinity probe (at least when the probe isn't giving me insanely wrong readings).

I also just sent in an icp, although it was the cheap fauna marin, so I'm not even sure if it gives salinity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used ro and distilled and they both show 1.00 today but yesterday they both read 1.001. Should i just assume its reading a bit high?

why not recalibrate that to 1.000?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to but like i said last night it was 1.001 but today its 1.000. Do you think light can be a factor? I was using it in my garage last night under a dimmer light.

That change is within it’s stated specifications. Might be lots of different factors, including a small random error.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That change is within it’s stated specifications. Might be lots of different factors, including a small random error.
Do you think its a big deal on having having a .001 variance? Will coral like lps have an effect on a variance like that? lots say it says 1.026 but may be 1.025 or 1.027.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think its a big deal on having having a .001 variance? Will coral like lps have an effect on a variance like that? lots say it says 1.026 but may be 1.025 or 1.027.

Reef aquaria seem to operate fine at a reasonably wide range of salinity. Certainly 33-36 ppt, which is sg of about 1.025 to 1.027, probably even wider.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef aquaria seem to operate fine at a reasonably wide range of salinity. Certainly 33-36 ppt, which is sg of about 1.025 to 1.027, probably even wider.
Season 11 Friends GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but would you mind confirming if you are saying an aquarium is fine with a fluctuating salinity of 33-36 ppt or that a consistent salinity between those lvls you stated?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old post but would you mind confirming if you are saying an aquarium is fine with a fluctuating salinity of 33-36 ppt or that a consistent salinity between those lvls you stated?
Small fluctuations are fine, but stability is preferred.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Small changes are OK, but I was focusing on a stable level being OK within a fair range.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back