Mimic Lemon Peel Tang or something else?

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've owned this guy for almost 8 months and he was sold as a Mimic Lemon Peel Tang from a big box store. He has always been all yellow without blue around his eyes which made me question if he is a tang at all. He's very active and a good eater. He's gotten bigger and it appears that he may be beginning to change colors which I know they do when they mature to adulthood. However I wanted your opinions on if he is really a Lemon Peel Tang. If so do you think he is starting to change colors to his adult self. If not is this some sort of disease? I realize the photos aren't great but he is a very active swimmer so it's a tough photo to get.

Thanks for your responses.

IMG_1084.jpg IMG_1086.jpg IMG_1083.jpg

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The folks above nailed it. Acanthurus pyroferus. Mimics lemon peel angel as a juvi, then becomes "chocolate" colored as it matures.

Underused tang in my opinion. The ones I've seen are probably better suited to our tanks than the more popular in the genus, like the powders.

OP
OP
Greg Depo

Greg Depo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The folks above nailed it. Acanthurus pyroferus. Mimics lemon peel angel as a juvi, then becomes "chocolate" colored as it matures.

Underused tang in my opinion. The ones I've seen are probably better suited to our tanks than the more popular in the genus, like the powders.

Thanks Guys! He is definitely is the boss of the tank and we enjoy him a lot so wanted to make sure he wasn't getting sick or anything. Should be interesting to see him transition to his adult colors. Do you guys think 90G is large enough for him?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wanted to make sure he wasn't getting sick or anything. Should be interesting to see him transition to his adult colors. Do you guys think 90G is large enough for him?

Nope, looks really healthy. Growth and maturing to adulthood are good signs.

As for the 90 gallon...Ideally, I wouldn't have suggested one for a 90 gallon. He looks good for now. If he ever outgrows your tank, you will know. Acanthurus tangs have a 'pacing' type behavior when they feel cramped.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back