mimic real time temp

Truebluereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to find out some information on mimic real time and location temperature and lighting.
Is there a way to pull data from a web page of current temperature and possible weather patterns to mimic the ocean?

In simple form can I make custom code for the apex to pull data to keep temperatures and light intensity in my aquarium mimic the ocean. For example if the Caribbean reef is 80 degrees F at 5pm on 5/20/2019 can I tell my apex that I want my aquarium temperature to be 80 degrees F at 5:10pm. this gives the apex a 10 min window for data collection.
I would also like the apex to mimic the light of the location that is chosen, If the sun rises at 7am and sets at 9pm my lights will do the same, if a cloud rolls over and changes the intensity from 85% to 70% the tank will also fallow this same data.

If any one knows of a way this has been implemented or any information will be helpful thank you.
happy reefing

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely possible to scrape a website like NOAA for real time data but it may violate their terms of service depending on where you take the data. They don't usually mind you looking at the data if it's on a website, but they might if you set a script to crawl it every minute.

I don't know if your doing this for school or not but I think if it's just for fun it might be more trouble than it's worth. It's difficult the change the temperature of a large body of water quickly so there is going to be a large gap between when data is updated and when the water can catch up to match it.

Unfortunately these are all images which makes the data harder to scrape but there may be other resources to get the same data:
https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/contour/index.html

OP
OP
T

Truebluereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely possible to scrape a website like NOAA for real time data but it may violate their terms of service depending on where you take the data. They don't usually mind you looking at the data if it's on a website, but they might if you set a script to crawl it every minute.

I don't know if your doing this for school or not but I think if it's just for fun it might be more trouble than it's worth. It's difficult the change the temperature of a large body of water quickly so there is going to be a large gap between when data is updated and when the water can catch up to match it.

Unfortunately these are all images which makes the data harder to scrape but there may be other resources to get the same data:
https://www.ospo.noaa.gov/Products/ocean/sst/contour/index.html

NOAA Does have a section that gives real time data based on locations in the ocean.
I’m not doing this for school, just out of a hobbyist Perspective to get the most natural reef tank possible and possibly get corals to spawn.

I’m not sure how hard it would be to do with the data that NOAA Collect but I think it would be fun I have an aquarium is more like a the natural ocean

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOAA Does have a section that gives real time data based on locations in the ocean.
I’m not doing this for school, just out of a hobbyist Perspective to get the most natural reef tank possible and possibly get corals to spawn.

I’m not sure how hard it would be to do with the data that NOAA Collect but I think it would be fun I have an aquarium is more like a the natural ocean

I agree it would be really neat, maybe there a single buouy with temp data that can be found to use. It would definitely need some additional programming for safety in case of bad data saying the water is very cold or when there is no data at all.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my Bluefish mini controller lets you select a region and mimic weather for lighting. At least the general cloud cover/storm stuff. Not sure if its possible to integrate a heater/chiller somehow. The apex moon lights can follow actual phases of the moon and Im sure that data is pulled from somewhere.

110E3524-819A-46E2-918A-28203186F4E8.png

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably dont need to go so far as maintaining hour by hour. But could probably program any of the big controllers to simulate seasons for the desired area.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an interesting thought, but unfortunately not really feasible. First, the programming language that the apex uses is very simplistic and there is simply no way to feed real time data into the apex like that. Additionally, the fish and corals that we keep in our aquarium come from oceans all over the world. Replicating the temperature for a buoy in Hawaii might be great for some shallow water Hawaiian fish, but it would be completely wrong for deep water Indonesian fish.

The ocean has pretty big light and temperature differences based on geographical location as well as water depth. You can’t really just say “I’m going to replicate the temperature of the ocean”. You have to pick a specific spot of the ocean to replicate and frankly that point in the ocean will probably be completely foreign to many of the fish and corals in your tank. At that point you may as well just arbitrarily pick a temperature to use.

However, all that said, the apex does have seasonal tables. You can enter sunset and sunrise times as well as temperatures for each month. You can use a site like noaa to get the monthly averages for different ocean locations to use. The apex can then be programmed to base the lighting schedule and the tank temp on this data.

It’s not realtime and not quite as detailed as you want, but it’s the closest you can get with an apex. But as I said above, unless you have a region specific aquarium the temps are likely to be foreign to most of your inhabitants anyway no matter what data you use.

OP
OP
T

Truebluereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the coding will be the hardest part, im not sure if the locations have par meter reading devices on them I only found that they have temp and wave swells, and I think humidity of the area.
I have noticed that most of the reefs are in the higher temp range vs what we keep our tanks at.

Back