Mimic Tang not looking so good

Jdale78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I woke up this morning to my fish stuck to the filter. He's just floating around wherever the current takes him. Only using one fin. Laying sideways on bottom barely swimming.
What should I do? I have to leave in a few hours , for a few days. I don't want to leave him in there if he's dying. Doesn't that contaminate the whole tank and other fish ?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? Was he quarantined? Any discernible marks, wounds, or spots? Can you post a photo or video clip?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a QT or hospital tank available and cycled? I don't think I would put him in a fresh, non-cycled QT and then leave for several days.

Maybe do a freshwater dip, followed by an antiseptic bath.... and then just hope for the best. How long has your tank been running, how big is it, and how good of a CUC do you have? As long as the tank is well-established and you have a good CUC... I doubt his death would do add anything more than a momentary slight blip in ammonia.

OP
OP
Jdale78

Jdale78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had him? Was he quarantined? Any discernible marks, wounds, or spots? Can you post a photo or video clip?
I have had him for over a week. He's been fine until today. Although I've seen him eat , he does look really skinny. I don't have a hospital tank. The tank has been running for months. I just tested the water yesterday and everything was perfect. What is CUC?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had him for over a week. He's been fine until today. Although I've seen him eat , he does look really skinny. I don't have a hospital tank. The tank has been running for months. I just tested the water yesterday and everything was perfect. What is CUC?

Clean up crew, hermits, snails, etc.

Do you feed algae for him? Have you seen any white-stringy poop?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Before placing nori seaweed or anything out for it, Stuck in power head is a sign of weakness..... How does fish look at this momemt? ( swimming straight or sideways, breathing, interest in food??)
As ngoodermuth indicated, pictures would help us access your situation.

OP
OP
Jdale78

Jdale78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean up crew, hermits, snails, etc.

Do you feed algae for him? Have you seen any white-stringy poop?
I believe I’ve found the problem. It was me. I’m now realizing I wasn’t feeding him the proper food. dang! I’m mad at myself now.
But Thank you for your responses today. I appreciate your help.

OP
OP
Jdale78

Jdale78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before placing nori seaweed or anything out for it, Stuck in power head is a sign of weakness..... How does fish look at this momemt? ( swimming straight or sideways, breathing, interest in food??)
As ngoodermuth indicated, pictures would help us access your situation.
Come to find out , I was the problem. I thought what I was giving him was correct and now I know it’s not. That won’t happen again.
Thanks for your response.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the fish today? Did he make it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I believe I’ve found the problem. It was me. I’m now realizing I wasn’t feeding him the proper food. dang! I’m mad at myself now.
But Thank you for your responses today. I appreciate your help.
Nori seaweed
Ocean nutrition Formula 2 (frozen)
LRS Herbivore formula (frozen)
Rods food (frozen)
Mysis shrimp (frozen)
Plankton (frozen)
Add garlic extract 2-3X per week to your food while thawing and/or Selcon vitamins (1-2X per week to help boost immunity system)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back