Mimic Tang with bloated belly

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#fishmedic

The same fish that I had posted 2 weeks ago with the not eating emaciated look to her has now gone the complete opposite.

She now has a bloated belly, has been hiding for 2 days, doesn't come out to eat and no longer swims the tank. She came out today and is having difficulty maintaining orientation in the water. She also appears to have or be on the verge of a prolapse. Video below for reference.

Food being fed are:
Avast Reef Jerky
TDO
PE Mysis
Marine Cuisine
Emerald Entre
Nori sheet

No other fish are showing any symptoms.

Water params
SG 1.025
Ammonia 0
PO4 .05
NO3 .5
ALK 7.5
Temp 78

I have read either constipation or liver/kidney faliure are the 2 most probable. The later is untreatable but how can I help with the first?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
#fishmedic

The same fish that I had posted 2 weeks ago with the not eating emaciated look to her has now gone the complete opposite.

She now has a bloated belly, has been hiding for 2 days, doesn't come out to eat and no longer swims the tank. She came out today and is having difficulty maintaining orientation in the water. She also appears to have or be on the verge of a prolapse. Video below for reference.

Food being fed are:
Avast Reef Jerky
TDO
PE Mysis
Marine Cuisine
Emerald Entre
Nori sheet

No other fish are showing any symptoms.

Water params
SG 1.025
Ammonia 0
PO4 .05
NO3 .5
ALK 7.5
Temp 78

I have read either constipation or liver/kidney faliure are the 2 most probable. The later is untreatable but how can I help with the first?

Sounds like a bladder issue but video has sound only- no image

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Here is a YouTube link.

Thank you- looks like constipation causing the abdominal swelling.
Have you been feeding this fish a lot of pellet foods?
Is the breathing rate labored?
Also- is it eating ?

Tthis may be what is referred to as edema where the fish has a hard time maintaining its bodily fluids with the current tank water related to kidney or liver failure.
If you see rapid breathing , it may involve the fish's entire body. often feeding brine shrimp IF eating may help any stuck foods pass as prolapse may be developing.

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you- looks like constipation causing the abdominal swelling.
Have you been feeding this fish a lot of pellet foods?
Is the breathing rate labored?
Also- is it eating ?

Tthis may be what is referred to as edema where the fish has a hard time maintaining its bodily fluids with the current tank water related to kidney or liver failure.
If you see rapid breathing , it may involve the fish's entire body. often feeding brine shrimp IF eating may help any stuck foods pass as prolapse may be developing.
Fish doesn't really eat pellets that I have seen. I do feed the tank 4x day a small feeding mix of the Reef Jerky and TDO.

She also hasn't showed alot of interest in any of the frozen foods I have tried. She eats mostly the nori sheets and picking at rocks/sand which may include fallen pellets.

She is not eating.

Breathing hasn't seemed overly heavy but that may just be wishful thinking.

If constipation, will it pass on its own?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish doesn't really eat pellets that I have seen. I do feed the tank 4x day a small feeding mix of the Reef Jerky and TDO.

She also hasn't showed alot of interest in any of the frozen foods I have tried. She eats mostly the nori sheets and picking at rocks/sand which may include fallen pellets.

She is not eating.

Breathing hasn't seemed overly heavy but that may just be wishful thinking.

If constipation, will it pass on its own?
It generally does but eating will help to soften what is causing it and even a small pinch of epsom salt into the food at time help- This is assuming this IS constipation. With the nori, baste it with liquid vitamins which helps the fish also

OP
OP
Zero_Cool

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It generally does but eating will help to soften what is causing it and even a small pinch of epsom salt into the food at time help- This is assuming this IS constipation. With the nori, baste it with liquid vitamins which helps the fish also
Thank you.

May be too late. Fish isn't eating.

Anything else I can try to help?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

May be too late. Fish isn't eating.

Anything else I can try to help?

Sorry - I’ve never seen a fish go from one extreme to the other like that, I can’t account for that!
Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 13 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 14 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • None.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back