Mimicking Tidal Flow in Our Reef Tanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SaltMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes if you want to be able to control with the Apex, WXM Module and the wireless version of the MP40.

Momo3419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im running my MP-40s and radions via the apex.
Is there any way to get a more randomized flow? I know there is reef crest and modes like that but you still have them always on at the same time every day.
Ideally being able to have the "Tidal" movement slowly come earlier in the day and leave sooner and vise versa.
My thought process is that would help to simulate tidal movements. Which in theory would promote growth or at least health.
The member who had linked the reefer who had a DIY controller that used data from NOAA I think that would be ideal but to the best of my knowledge is not possible on the apex.
At the moment I just have the 40's running in short pulse mode and have a small standing wave going.
With this I have seen some corals do better and others not so much.

OP
OP
jlanger

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and bringing my attention back to this thread.

At the moment, I have four MP40's on my 120gal running in two pairs controlled via Apex Fusion.
All four pumps are running a constant (slower) flow overnight with a short NTM cycle before running the Gyre(short pulse mode) throughout the majority of the day before a short Reef Crest/Lagoon mode ends the day.
The front/upper pumps run at a higher percentage as they provide the flow to the front of the reef. The back/lower pumps are run at a lower percentage as the provide the flow behind the reef and keep detritus from collecting in the back; the lower flow is necessary to keep the sand from being blown around.

The Gyre Mode (short pulse mode) is set at 0.74 seconds and the pairs of pumps run in Anti-sync mode.
I do get a decent wave moving back and forth and it nice to watch the corals and the fish bobbing in the flow.

Now if there was just a way to get the percentages to ramp up and down over a fourteen day cycle to mimic the tidal flow during the lunar cycles.

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about this at least once a day. If there's a way to use the Apex Seasonal Table in the programming, it seems you could create virtual outlets with different intensities and have them tied to/based on Lunar Cycle.

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply and bringing my attention back to this thread.

At the moment, I have four MP40's on my 120gal running in two pairs controlled via Apex Fusion.
All four pumps are running a constant (slower) flow overnight with a short NTM cycle before running the Gyre(short pulse mode) throughout the majority of the day before a short Reef Crest/Lagoon mode ends the day.
The front/upper pumps run at a higher percentage as they provide the flow to the front of the reef. The back/lower pumps are run at a lower percentage as the provide the flow behind the reef and keep detritus from collecting in the back; the lower flow is necessary to keep the sand from being blown around.

The Gyre Mode (short pulse mode) is set at 0.74 seconds and the pairs of pumps run in Anti-sync mode.
I do get a decent wave moving back and forth and it nice to watch the corals and the fish bobbing in the flow.

Now if there was just a way to get the percentages to ramp up and down over a fourteen day cycle to mimic the tidal flow during the lunar cycles.

Can share the tank pic and the program u use from apex ???

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about this at least once a day. If there's a way to use the Apex Seasonal Table in the programming, it seems you could create virtual outlets with different intensities and have them tied to/based on Lunar Cycle.

How to tie them together ????

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. To tie them together. I am honestly quite new to learning the ins and outs of the Apex. Maybe some are already new, maybe the Apex gurus already know it cannot be done.
I know there's some on the Apex forums who have created programs based around the LSM module. It may be the best/easiest/(only) way to go.
I'll have a total of four Mp's to play with shortly. Maybe then I'll look into it further.
I think the easiest way to create it would be with two gyres mounted vertically, one at the front and one at the back of the tank, both on the same side wall. You could get a clockwise/counterclockwise flow (looking from the top of the tank) that would run pretty much from the top to the bottom of the tank.

Steve Tobias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about this for a couple of weeks. It was a great read and further supports speeding up my Apex purchase. I had only been looking at this from raising and lowering the water level (even by a small fraction) in my display, but this has given me a boat load of more things to think about.

Robbie Gibbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have missed it. But there is usually about an hour of slack tide with little to no flow at all. Incoming tide, Slack for an hour then Outgoing

OP
OP
jlanger

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for keeping this thread somewhat relevant.
I haven't had any time to really get involved with figuring this out as I've had other issues that had much higher priorities.

I may have missed it. But there is usually about an hour of slack tide with little to no flow at all. Incoming tide, Slack for an hour then Outgoing

What I chose to do in my original proposed graphs (below) was to have the master and slave pumps both running at very low speeds during the switch in the tidal direction.
I didn't want to have any period of time where there was no pumps running, so I had the two programs slowly work together to achieve some very low random flow before the switch was made.
VorTechLunargraph.jpg

If you really wanted a slack tide, the programs could easily be shortened to allow for a period of time with no pumps running.
Thanks for the input.

As a side note, I have been running the same program since I posted in May and I like it; it's not exactly what I'm looking for with this thread, but it's a decent back-and-forth wave.
The corals that are growing are showing nice forms.
And you have to wonder if the fish are affected somehow. My Scribbled Rabbitfish likes to bob with the wave at the top of the tank at night and my Lyretail Anthias have begun to spawn regularly since July.

ntsekov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeflink allows lot of creativity regarding flow. I just switched to expanding pulse and that seems amazing, I'm still wondering on the position of my MP40s (I like them on the back wall as they are nearly invisible there, but the sand is creeping towards the back as time passes...). The easiest way to create waves is long pulse with 2 pumps in anti-sync, if you want back-draft breaking the flow on the bottom - two more in shorter pulse in anti-sync or one pump running perpendicular to one on the sides, again in anti-sync with the main, it will swirl the water around the tank if it's wide enough.

But tides... no way with those programs unless the expanding pulse is able to be spread in time (which would be risky as there will be a point creating expanding wave spilling water out of the tank). Seems easy with 4 pumps though. 2 short pulse (or expanding for randomness), 2 at very long pulse or just separated from the other two (may be not possible with Reeflink, but I'm unsure).

Robbie Gibbins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for keeping this thread somewhat relevant.
I haven't had any time to really get involved with figuring this out as I've had other issues that had much higher priorities.

What I chose to do in my original proposed graphs (below) was to have the master and slave pumps both running at very low speeds during the switch in the tidal direction.
I didn't want to have any period of time where there was no pumps running, so I had the two programs slowly work together to achieve some very low random flow before the switch was made.
VorTechLunargraph.jpg

If you really wanted a slack tide, the programs could easily be shortened to allow for a period of time with no pumps running.
Thanks for the input.

As a side note, I have been running the same program since I posted in May and I like it; it's not exactly what I'm looking for with this thread, but it's a decent back-and-forth wave.
The corals that are growing are showing nice forms.
And you have to wonder if the fish are affected somehow. My Scribbled Rabbitfish likes to bob with the wave at the top of the tank at night and my Lyretail Anthias have begun to spawn regularly since July.
Awesome

tigé21v

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The vortechs can be programmed via the Apex to spin at a slower speed than the 20% factory set minimum.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an idea I brought up in my local forum last fall.
There was limited discussion and it fell to the wayside during the holiday season.
The following is copies of my original posts outlining my thoughts and ideas.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jlanger

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/lo...mbies-1st-place-tourny-winner.html#post612191
I would like to open up some discussion on trying to mimic the water flow found on the reef in our own aquariums.
This has been on my mind for a while, but I thought I would open it up to the masses for more insight and ideas.

Abstract:

Ever since EcoTech Marine updated their ReefLink to work with their VorTech water pumps, I have wanted to try and create a program to create a more realistic representation of what the water flow is actually like on the reefs.
EcoTech Marine has done their research and have created a couple of modes to simulate what flow is like on the reefs.
I have been doing quite a bit of reading and researching of what actually happens during the cycles of water flow on the reefs.
Having owned and used the VorTech pumps for four years, I have tried various modes and settings. These pumps do create a very nice random flow in my tank; I'm not complaining. But I still have not found what I am looking for.
I think with this discussion and further research, we can find what I am trying to achieve with my water flow.
And in all actuality, there may be no beneficial effect from all of this; just like running static moon lights every night.

Equipment and Methodology:

I currently use four VorTech water pumps on my 120gal; two MP40's and 2 MP10's. Each MP40 is paired with an MP10 which are located on opposite side of the tank. The pairs are run anti-synched; so the MP40 on the right is synch with the MP10 on the left and vice versa.
I primarily run the pumps using the EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode. The night before I do water changes, I switch to the EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode.

Here's EcoTech's specifications about these two modes.

With the EcoSmart Tidal Swell Mode, the flow pattern will shift from an emphasis on chaotic left-to-right flow direction into a right-to-left flow direction, with periods of calm in between – followed by a great surge of flow at the very end of the cycle.

With the EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode, water is circulated in two phases – a wave motion to stir up detritus, and a surging motion to move the detritus into your overflow.

Long ago, I asked EcoTech Marine how long the cycles were for each mode.
Each mode cycles in 2-½ hours; the pulses in the NTM are for 45 minutes and the swelling is for 30 minutes each.

So as I have dabbled with the EcoSmart Live program, I was trying to find a way to create the "perfect" program to mimic the water flow on the reef.
I know many people like to ramp down the flow during the overnight hours. And some people even run all through all options during the course of the day.
To find the program I wanted, I knew I had to do more research.

Research and Findings:

I started my research with books that I already owned; Delbeek and Sprung's "The Reef Aquarium" series and "The Encyclopedia of Modern Coral Reefs". I moved on to various reefing webpages on water flow in reef tanks. On a whim, I expanded my search outside of the aquarium hobby and I stumbled on to a couple of books/papers discussing tidal swells. It wasn't until I started reading about tidal ebb and flood that I knew I found what I was looking for.
This hobby has spent a lot of effort discussing (and selling) the importance of the lunar cycle in respect to lighting, but not enough on the effect of water flow.
I should have figured this out earlier.
When I was running the Vertex Illumina LED fixture over my reef system, it had a lunar cycle for the moonlighting that would ramp up/down in conjunction with the actual lunar cycle.

One book was worth looking into is "The Dynamics of Coastal Models"; particularly the Effect of Changing Water Level on Flow Over Reefs.

In a paper directed at bodysurfing, "Ebb and Flood: The Science of Tides" discusses and details the changing flow of our ocean's water during the lunar cycle. The paper exhibited a couple of interesting graphs that more than reinforced that this was what I was trying to figure out for my tank.

This graph shows the tidal differences during the course of each day over one month.

And this graph shows various tides and their respective levels during a 24 hour period.

Based from these last two resources, I am trying to figure out how I can create a program for my water pumps to mimic these findings.
Using the modes that are available with the VorTechs, there must be a way to create the variable flow of a true tidal ebb and flood within the aquarium.

Criteria:

To achieve a more true tidal swell, I feel that the two EcoSmart Modes need to be combined somehow into one program.

I like the effect from the Tidal Swell Mode of changing the direction of the flow from one side to the other.
But I do not like that the cycle only lasts 2-½ hours and that both pumps run simultaneously.

I like the effect from the EcoSmart Nutrient Transport Mode that creates short bursts of flow that ramp up over time.
But I do not like that the anti-synched pump immediately pushes back against that flow.

The ideal program should create a semidiurnal tide (two high tides and two low tides) in a 24 hour period.

My Ideas and Thoughts:

To keep the effect of water surge, the pumps should run in a pulse mode; maintaining the "lovely" swaying motion of the coral's polyps.

When creating the ebb or flood, only run one pair of pumps at a time. Maybe running both pairs just during the peaks and valleys of high/low tide could create more random flow during the changing of the tide.

As the tides change, the ramping up and down of the pump's flow and pulses increase and decrease with the tide.
In looking at the final graph, when the graphed line is at it's steepest, the flow and pulse would be at it's greatest. When the line starts to level out, the flow and pulse are weaker.

If I had the time, I could create a graphic depicting the above ideas to better clarify my thoughts. Maybe later.
Think of it as almost like combining the two EcoTech graphs into one; pulses that ramp up and down over time against each other.

But I'm still struggling on how to create the more dramatic changes with the lunar cycle; as shown in the "January 2014" graph.
The water flow and pulses would be more dramatic during the new and full moon cycles, and more stable during the half moon phases.

The EcoSmart Live, as far as I now, only works on a daily cycle; not a monthly cycle.
I'm not sure if I had the pumps controlled through a secondary controller, like an Apex, that I might be able to create a monthly cycle.

Discussion:

So after reading through all of this…
Does anyone have any additional thoughts about trying to create a tidal/lunar cycle with the VorTech water pumps?

As I wrote all of this out, many things fell into place for me concerning what I was looking for.
It's just trying to figure out the specific and getting it to work that is still open for discussion.
As like I stated earlier, none of this may have any effect on such a small system.

Thanks for reading.
Thanks for any input.

And this was my second response trying to visual explain my thoughts for a EcoSmart program mimicking tidal flow.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jlanger
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/wt...-colony-pack-steal-post612210.html#post612210
Anyways, here's a quick illustration trying to explain my late night ramblings.

So over a 24 hour period, there will be two cycles by each pair of pumps.
It is hard to tell in this smaller graphic but as the pulses get stronger, they also get longer.
Overlapping the two pumps for a brief time will create the random flow of whirlpools and eddies created during the tidal switch.

So the trick to simulate the lunar cycle would be to change the Max% of the pumps over 28 days.
During the full/new moon phase, the Max% would be greatest; say 80%
And during the half moon phases, the Max% would only be about 40%.

In my illustration above, the orange and blue graphs depict the power and duration of the Vortech pump. The Blue line graph depicts the time and height of the daily tide.
As the tide rushes in/out, I feel the Vortech pumps would run at the set maximum setting for that day. When the tides reach high/low tide, the pumps run at their lowest setting as the water flow begins to transition the other direction.

I have recently synched my Vortech pumps with my Apex WXM Module and Controller, so I may try to figure out a way to achieve something similar to this using the already existing EcoSmart Modes.
I am trying to think if there is a way to use the Seasonal Modes to incorporate the rising/falling maximum settings that correlate with the lunar cycle.

If Ecotech Marine would like to take this into consideration for a new EcoSmart Mode, I would be glad to assist in any way needed.

Thanks for reading through all of this.
And any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
trouble is nearly everyone goes wrong on this topic. Point One, you only get the to and fro motion in a tidal lagoon as the waves at high water come over the reef and into the lagoon. At low water this does not happen.
Point two ,, If you dive on the edge of a drop off on a coral reef, were the good corals are, you will find that the current runs the same way for 6 ish hrs , then there is a hr of slack water, then it reverses for another 6 hours , as in most seas in the world.

OP
OP
jlanger

jlanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Point two ,, If you dive on the edge of a drop off on a coral reef, were the good corals are, you will find that the current runs the same way for 6 ish hrs , then there is a hr of slack water, then it reverses for another 6 hours , as in most seas in the world.

Your second point describes what I had tried to illustrate in my "Vortech" graph above.

If you consider the rising of the tide as the master (blue) pump and the the falling of the tide as the slave (orange) pump, you see that the flow of water is coming from one side of the reef for five hours with an hour of overlap (combined flow/slack tide). The only time that both the master and slave pumps run together is during that hour that the tide switches direction.
Where I think some people are getting it wrong is that the slave pump doesn't run in the traditional method that the Ecotech programs run them. My "slave" program is the exact same program as the master program but it is offset by the six hours or so.

I chose to use the pulse mode over a continuous speed mode bases on the small footprint of our aquariums. (I know that my corals do not appreciate a continuous blast of water.) And it may be hard to see in the small graph, but I did describe how the pulses get longer and closer together as the speed of the pump reaches it's maximum; hence an almost constant speed setting.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a fascinating reading. thanks for sharing this @jlanger.
Did you finally get to mimic any monthly wave motion finally? I stumbled upon this thread while working on my own DIY controller's wave maker. I am stoked to see TCMAS cypho 's DIY controller charts. I would love to have something like that in my controller :). Is he in r2r ?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back