OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone!! So here's an update... video is recorded, but my computer died before I could finish editing. It's in the shop being repaired right now...apparently some kind of cable that keeps the trackpad and keyboard communicating with the computer decided to quit on me yesterday...

However, my first impression so far is that I LOVE THIS THING!!! It's great getting the measurements in real time!

The set up was VERY easy. I did call Step Ahead to clarify a couple of questions I had because I wanted to be sure I had the right details (those questions are in the video, so that hopefully the answers are of help to others). I also want to say that customer service I've received from Step Ahead has been second to none! Alex is super knowledgable about the equipment and about the chemistry in a reef tank, and is a great help!

I'll finish the video editing tonight or tomorrow (depending on when the computer repair is finished), but I didn't want to leave you all completely hanging.

On the subscription, I think it's just the 2 options of paying monthly or annually. Monthly is $39.99 while annually is $34.99.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Daniel,

Proud for you my friend and tagging along.

Lol
Whats the odds of one guy winning an Reef Savvy and Mindstream... :p
Thanks, bro! Yep! I definitely lucked out!! To be fair, those were 2 different years...but STILL!! :cool:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to say that customer service I've received from Step Ahead has been second to none!

Got to agree.

Called Mindstream the first week of the announcement on Reef 2 Reef.

Ryan picked up the phone, and I was so impressed on all levels.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first impression so far is that I LOVE THIS THING!!! It's great getting the measurements in real time!

Soooooooo........ could you be slightly more scientific/specific than "I love this thing"?

How much are the readings varying from your previous test kits? What other tests are you comparing the results with?

How consistent are the results it provides.

You're a respected person! If you're going to vouch for a product, provide some details plz

Last edited:

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should. You have a product that really hasn’t been mass released. Take some time and show off each aspect of the Mindstream during the unboxing. Big opportunity to be the first to share a lot of exciting new info to R2R. The video left a lot to be desired.
So does this post

PhilT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you didn't like my angles. :rolleyes: :p Here's a few close up photos:

20190813_231539.jpg

20190813_231558.jpg

20190813_231642.jpg

The controller does go in the tank. I don't think it'll be awful though. My back panel is black anyway. It could also go in the sump.

And yeah, I'm pretty sure unwrapping the disks is a bad idea until they're being installed, but I'll get a photo of it tomorrow and post it up. :cool:
From their website

Weight
monitor - 12 oz, power module - 6.1 oz
Height
monitor - 6.5 inches, power module - 4.6 inches
Width
monitor - 4.1 inches, power module - 3.5 inches
Thickness
monitor - 2.75 inches, power module - 1 inch

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Soooooooo........ could you be slightly more scientific/specific than "I love this thing"?

How much are the readings varying from your previous test kits? What other tests are you comparing the results with?

How consistent are the results it provides.

You're a respected person! If you're going to vouch for a product, provide some details plz
Haven't done much by way of comparison yet other than comparing to Apex readings. Apex is measuring in the sump while Mindstream is in the display. Variance is about what I'd expect between those two, but I want to run some tests to compare better than just looking at my Apex probes before making any claims.

The consistency is very solid. Graphs are where I'd expect based on SAI's claims of precision and consistency. At this point, I'm good to say I believe the Mindstream to be reliable for maintaining stability in the reef. Again, though, this is all preliminary, and I'm giving my impressions. You're asking for claims that I'd rather not make until I've had some real time to watch it, but so far...I LOVE it! (Sorry. I had to put that in here somewhere! :D)

The details I intended to provide in my previous post were regarding setup and SAI's customer service (and initial impression of the function of the device itself). I'm EXTREMELY impressed with both of those aspects, and so far, I'm very impressed with the function of the monitor, but I want to watch it more before I give more input...patience is a virtue. :)

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a sinister aspect at work here... Do you "really" believe they called the device "MINDSTREAM" to monitor your fish tank? Are they measuring nitrates or neurons? Tinfoil hats at the ready.

Scribz718

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safe to assume it killed the reef or killed him at this point. Tin foil hat was a good idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back