Mini Complete Tank With Display Sump

Chowder's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum but have been lurking around the web with my reefing shenanigans for a little while now. I'm a big fan of pico reefs. There has always been something about having a tiny, thriving piece of the ocean on your desk or bookshelf that peeks my curiosity. I got wind of an "unofficial" Mini Complete Tank contest here on R2R and I couldn't help myself. I always wanted to try these little tanks and figured now was a good excuse to start one.

Putting the aquarium together I couldn't help but be less than impressed with the sump design. It left a lot to be desired to say the least. I wouldn't consider myself a professional in acrylic work, but I have been around the block with building aquariums and what not, and I love myself a good DIY project, so I went ahead and threw away the sump designed my own sump. Doing so led me needing to build a small custom stand as well. Anyways I kind of got lost down the rabbit hole and one thing led to another and well, ya, I made a media basket, a tiny protein skimmer, and media reactor that is in the works.

Equipment wise is pretty simple otherwise. I'm using the stock light that came with that tank. An Aqueon 5w heater with a Cobalt Neostat controller for heat. Also an AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite for my ATO. I had some small Caribsea LifeRock Frag Zone pieces that I used to make a scape and I think I'll be using their Oolite sand to help maintain a sense of scale in the tank. Stocking wise I'm still unsure, but I like the idea of a mixed reef? We'll see. Other than that not much to say! Just waiting for the green light with the competition and we'll get this little tank wet and cycling!

Thanks for stopping by and happy reefing!

PSX_20210911_145818.jpg

PSX_20210911_144945.jpg

PSX_20210911_144834.jpg

PSX_20210913_135524.jpg

PSX_20210913_135619.jpg

PSX_20210913_135416.jpg

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you a part of the Mini Complete Tank unofficial contest here? :3 (e: hah, says so right in the post. I can read, I promise.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chowder's Reef

Chowder's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you a part of the Mini Complete Tank unofficial contest here? :3

Yesh :3

OP
OP
Chowder's Reef

Chowder's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn’t just fall down the rabbit hole, you tunnelled it partway to China...! I can’t wait to see the electronic/cable portion of this setup!
Well..... it started as a rabbit hole, then turned into a cavern, then it turned into a full scale mining operation to bore through the planet

I did a test fit with everything and it should all work (fingers crossed). I just need to plumb everything together which is going to be an adventure haha.

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well..... it started as a rabbit hole, then turned into a carvern, then it turned into a full scale mining operation to bore through the planet

I did a test fit with everything and it should all work (fingers crossed). I just need to plumb everything together which is going to be an adventure haha.
The line between genius and insanity... I think it’s genius myself!

Alaeriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I *think* you've won already XD Mine just arrived in the mail on Saturday and I feel like I'll continue to participate purely so I can see everyone else's masterpieces. Meanwhile, I'm over here looking like someone gave a sea urchin a paint brush hat XD

OP
OP
Chowder's Reef

Chowder's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I *think* you've won already XD Mine just arrived in the mail on Saturday and I feel like I'll continue to participate purely so I can see everyone else's masterpieces. Meanwhile, I'm over here looking like someone gave a sea urchin a paint brush hat XD
Ah like you said, I'm just excited to see everyone's tank progress, including yours! I would pay money to see an urchin in a paint brush hat lol!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back