Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice aquascape!

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure if there was stated somewhere in the 12 pages of this thread...

But, as far as fish are concerned, the live rock you put in your tank is for hiding places to make the fish feel "safe" - in addition for a place for the bacteria to colonize, etc...

Also, different fish in the wild like different places to hide - some like caves, some like overhangs, etc...

Depending on what fish you want, a "minimalist" aquascape is not always to best idea for fish.

m0nkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

But, as far as fish are concerned, the live rock you put in your tank is for hiding places to make the fish feel "safe" - in addition for a place for the bacteria to colonize, etc...

Also, different fish in the wild like different places to hide - some like caves, some like overhangs, etc...

Depending on what fish you want, a "minimalist" aquascape is not always to best idea for fish.

this is very true. minimalist definitely cuts your # of fish.. you can have tons of bio ceramics in the sump for bacteria to colonize, this will eliminate nitrate. but your fish will be fighting for the few sleeping spaces.

Neptune1707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a graphic designer and a degree in fine art I def have specific ideas about my tank. I def like the mininmal look. Just because u can care for and cram tons of beautiful coral into a tank doesn't mean that's that's necessarily the most ashtetic pleasing...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As I have been snorkeling more in the carribbean nothing is more beautiful to me than swimming along a beautiful clean sand bed and then boom a big mound of rock with all kinds of livestock swimming around. Being able to view the fish and coral against the beautiful clean sand and the edge of a reef formation is very pleasing to me. But everyone should do what appeals to them. I would never keep a dimly lit octopus tank...doesn't appeal to me. As long as we are caring for the creatures we purchase to the best of or ability that's what makes this hobby so great!

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was thinking this exactly as I was looking at these! I love how clean these tanks look but then I think about my mandarins!

OP
OP
gpwdr

gpwdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a graphic designer and a degree in fine art I def have specific ideas about my tank. I def like the mininmal look. Just because u can care for and cram tons of beautiful coral into a tank doesn't mean that's that's necessarily the most ashtetic pleasing...but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As I have been snorkeling more in the carribbean nothing is more beautiful to me than swimming along a beautiful clean sand bed and then boom a big mound of rock with all kinds of livestock swimming around. Being able to view the fish and coral against the beautiful clean sand and the edge of a reef formation is very pleasing to me. But everyone should do what appeals to them. I would never keep a dimly lit octopus tank...doesn't appeal to me. As long as we are caring for the creatures we purchase to the best of or ability that's what makes this hobby so great!
I agree with you 100%.
In the end the aquascape is actually the corals. Many aquarist load the tank up with millions of different kinds of corals and although each coral is beautiful all together the tank is not that appealing.
This is birds nest on one rock after 2 years.
8_zps3zzazl2l.jpg

So it's all about planning for the future look with consideration for coral over growth.

P7310022_zpspfi2jwcv.jpg

I failed at the minimalist aquascape, my tank just looks to busy.

There is only four rocks in this tank to start.

PC300011_zps6bfe6135.jpg

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back