MIRACLE MUD

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF USING MIRACLE MUD IN A REFUGIUM WITH CHEATO AND MARINE PURE BLOCK ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED IT

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF USING MIRACLE MUD IN A REFUGIUM WITH CHEATO AND MARINE PURE BLOCK ANY HELP WILL BE APPRECIATED IT
Miracle mud provides trace elements to a system. The disadvantage is that it can cloud up the water if it gets stirred up or gets too much flow.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is it better having it or just add trace elements myself via a doser
I think that is strictly a matter of personal preference. If you want more control over those trace elements it is probably better to dose them. If you don't care much about trace elements and only like the idea they may get a little boost between water changes, the mud might be worthwhile.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i read up its better for coral growth and overall fish thats y i was thinking about using

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i read up its better for coral growth and overall fish thats y i was thinking about using
I can see why people would say that. It is a lab made product those, so in my opinion it is little more than a different way of adding trace elements. Adding trace elements is better for coral than not adding them, so I feel the statement would hold true for some users.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miracle mud provides trace elements to a system.

Is that all it does? I've never used it but was under the impression that a layer of 'mud' in the fuge also provides an ideal place for small crustaceans and other beneficial creepy crawlies to thrive.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used this product so i might be totally over thinking this. But the 50% replenishment needed every year just sounds like a mess in the making. I get the initial filling and how not to disturb on a dry tank. I dont quite see an easy way to add more to a “wet” tank annually without a monster cloud. Again i have never used. And only inferring from use of soil substrates in planted aquaria, only did that once never again [emoji23].

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that all it does? I've never used it but was under the impression that a layer of 'mud' in the fuge also provides an ideal place for small crustaceans and other beneficial creepy crawlies to thrive.
It does do that too, but no different than if you add sand. It may also provide a place for denitrification. In fact, the marine pure blocks will also serve that purpose. Bugs love growing in those things.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used this product so i might be totally over thinking this. But the 50% replenishment needed every year just sounds like a mess in the making. I get the initial filling and how not to disturb on a dry tank. I dont quite see an easy way to add more to a “wet” tank annually without a monster cloud. Again i have never used. And only inferring from use of soil substrates in planted aquaria, only did that once never again [emoji23].
I use the Fiji mud and have found that it settles out very quickly. I stir up a nice cloud every few weeks and the tank is clear again in under an hour typically.

Mal11224

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my reef with miracle mud in my sump where I put my chaeto and after a year, I scrubbed my sump and removed it. Was planning to remove half and add the equivalent but decided not to put it in. My corals actually look better but I think it's because I am doing more frequent, but small water changes. I also use a salt with trace elements. I honestly think I could've done alright without it.

OP
OP
J

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks 4 da advice im just gonna keep it simple and dose trace elements with my apex dos any suggestions on which i should use

ZAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does do that too, but no different than if you add sand. It may also provide a place for denitrification. In fact, the marine pure blocks will also serve that purpose. Bugs love growing in those things.
I have seen MM sold in trays so that they can be removed and exchanged without to much mess.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back