Miracles Do Happen! Bill's (Sawcjack00/Epic Aquaculture) 460 Gallon Custom Miracles Aquarium Build!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's so stinkin' cute:

David Coverdale-2.jpg

Justin Thibodeaux

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your thread again. Great work and always beautiful corals!! Also, its always refreshing to see corals in predominantly white light:). Anyway, I'm starting my 84x48x30" Miracles peninsula build with dedicated filtration room this year (will be center of the house). I've always been a fan of large refugiums due to simplicity and ease of maintenance, but from time to time they do fluctuate in productivity (or stop all together) despite having seemingly identical trace and nutrient levels. Therefore, I am seriously considering implementing an algae turf scrubber as I do like controlling nutrients with algae for various reasons. I know they work great, but what is your personal experience? Still think they are worth the extra maintenance? Also, have you noticed similar PH boost when comparing to a standard chaeto refugium?

Would love an updated tour of your sump/filtration, water parameters, etc!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two guesses, could it be an oddball color state of red planet, or a very funky looking bill murray?
Well payed my friend. It is indeed a funky Bill Murray. It is a grow out colony that is in the same tank as one of my RRC Rainbow Splice colonies and seems to have picked up the Green Fluorescent Protein infection from it. It is also much more red than orange. Here is the mother colony in my DT...
TSA Bill Murray.jpg

mitten_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well payed my friend. It is indeed a funky Bill Murray. It is a grow out colony that is in the same tank as one of my RRC Rainbow Splice colonies and seems to have picked up the Green Fluorescent Protein infection from it. It is also much more red than orange. Here is the mother colony in my DT...
would you consider cutting a small piece from the growout colony (maybe that upper right branch) where the GFP is present and try to grow a new one from there? really interested in how this piece will evolve over time. i.e. will GFP completely take over?

squidarcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spent my entire physics class going through this whole build thread, and WOW! SO MUCH EYE CANDY!!! I've just started seeing my first real success with SPS so this is just goals LOL

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you consider cutting a small piece from the growout colony (maybe that upper right branch) where the GFP is present and try to grow a new one from there? really interested in how this piece will evolve over time. i.e. will GFP completely take over?
Yes I will do that. I'm interested too!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just spent my entire physics class going through this whole build thread, and WOW! SO MUCH EYE CANDY!!! I've just started seeing my first real success with SPS so this is just goals LOL
Thank you for the kind words!

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is interested in hearing me yap about corals and stuff like that I will be joining Keith "Reefbum" Berkelhamer tomorrow (3/24/22) at 7pm EST (4pm AZ time) on his weekly Youtube Live Stream Rappin' with Reefbum. Here's the link.

OP
OP
Epic Aquaculture

Epic Aquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone is interested in hearing me yap about corals and stuff like that I will be joining Keith "Reefbum" Berkelhamer tomorrow (3/24/22) at 7pm EST (4pm AZ time) on his weekly Youtube Live Stream Rappin' with Reefbum. Here's the link.

So if anyone tuned in for the live stream, you know what happened today. For those that didn't I suffered a huge loss due to a stupid decision. I dosed Lanthanum Chloride to the tank last night in order to reduce my phosphates that had crept up a bit. Unfortunately the way I set up the drip did not effectively remove the bound particles which then got into the water column and killed about half of my fish. I will write a more detailed post about it next week, but right now I'm in shock and very emotional about this loss. This is just some of what I lost today (corals and surviving fish are doing fine right now)...

277188751_942319229811173_1639076599509287858_n.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back