OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always run the closed loops lower. I planned on doing a long line under the sand with a few ports having Lockline with valves. So I can blow water anywhere and the tubing is mostly low under the sand wile having flow adjustment so all of them get equal flow

Thats an idea. Didnt really think to run lines under the sand. Hmmm. I do agree with Raul-7 though, I need to vary the height. It is the one thing bugging the crap out of me.

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats an idea. Didnt really think to run lines under the sand. Hmmm. I do agree with Raul-7 though, I need to vary the height. It is the one thing bugging the crap out of me.
Want me to make a sketch of what I planned on doing ?

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve been very busy since it arrived! I’m starting to realize that I am not ready for when my tank arrives, not even close. I do have the bulk of the livestock that will be swimming in the tank but that’s about it for preparation.

One question, are the closed loop inlets in the external overflow? Or just on the back wall?

OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve been very busy since it arrived! I’m starting to realize that I am not ready for when my tank arrives, not even close. I do have the bulk of the livestock that will be swimming in the tank but that’s about it for preparation.

One question, are the closed loop inlets in the external overflow? Or just on the back wall?
Back wall.

OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loop plumbing finished. Next up is building a shelf from the back wall for the pumps so their weight+plus water will not be putting tension on the pipes. I plan to have the boards of the shelf removable so when I need to clean the pumps I can put a bucket underneath them when I remove them.

Then hopefully I will get a water test through the lines tomorrow to check for leaks.

20231112_212003.jpg

20231112_212029.jpg

20231112_211945.jpg

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good; will you re-touch the aquascape or just use coral to vary the height?

Last edited:

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing the updates. I’ve still been working on collecting livestock. I have all the main cast of characters, just need to gather all the little ones.
Once I get an eta on delivery I’ll start my own build thread.

OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the lack of updates, life has been happening the last couple of months.

So the tank has been setup for 1 month 20 days. I started the cycle on November 18th. I had 2 bio plates that I transferred from my 210 to the 600 and used a 16oz bottle of Fritz Turbo Start. Brought the ammonia up to 2.5ppm and it reached 0 by November 29th. Shortly after I transferred a few of my fish from the 210 and broke down that tank and sold it all off including all the rock and coral. I did frag out some of it which was transferred to a buddies system.

About 3 weeks ago we began to transfer over acro frags from his system to mine to see how they would fare. Not one loss so far so we began to transfer more over. Right about now I have about 30 or so acros and a couple cyphastrea and frags in the sump. We just broke off pieces that we have backup of in his system and bigger chunks of corals that grow fast like green slimer.

20240107_135657.jpg

I currently have 18 fish being quarantined by Dr. Reef which will be here in a couple weeks weather permitting. About half of them are angels so I pulled out my Emperor Angel and placed him in the sump and trying to catch the flame angel. I am doing this to minimize aggression and disrupt territory for the new fish coming in.

20240107_135935.jpg

20240107_135858.jpg

This is my first system using ozone and I really like it so far. Super nice not having to change out carbon every couple of weeks and running it 1 hour at night has kept my water crystal clear.

20240107_135946.jpg

Sorry for the blue photos. Just being lazy with my phone. I hope to get out my mirrorless camera and lens and take some good photos at some point.

20240107_135802.jpg

My nitrates are currently at 7.1 and I have been having to dose roughly 2ppm per week to break even which is the container you see above. I will only be dosing nitrates temporarily so that's why I haven't put the Nitrate water into my dosing system on the far end of my sump. My auto feeder is feeding pellets 5 times a day and I am currently feeding 1 cube of mysis and 1 sheet of nori. Once the other fish get here I suspect it will be 2 sheets of nori and 2 cubes of mysis which will allow me to take the nitrate dosing offline.

My PO4 has been hovering around 0-.01 so I am currently dosing Acropower to give the corals what they need. I actually dosed phosphate on my 210 in the beginning and that was a huge mistake. The rock pretty much soaked it all up and after about 6 months I was going through gallons of GFO to strip it all back out. Not doing that this time around.

With the low nutrients I am keeping my alkalinity around 7, CA at 440, 1350 mag and salinity 34.5ppt. The goal is to get my alkalinity around 8.5 but only after my PO4 gets up around .03-.07 on a steady basis. Lately though I have been having to increase my dosing as my consumption is increasing and the dKh is dipping into the 6's

20240107_140006.jpg

I also switched out my Red Dragon return pump for the Reef Octopus Varios 10. I really like the fact that its high pressure rated which what was needed with my setup in my opinion. Have my return going through my UV then split into the chiller and 2 returns going back into the tank.

I did try multiple Moorish Idols in the system hoping such a big tank would be enough to stop or minimize aggression. Lesson learned. They were peaceful for about a week then all hell broke lose and I had to sell off all but 1 Idol. Purchased 4, down to 1.

Not much more else to report at this time. Hopefully next update I will have a video and better pictures!

Last edited:
OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh lasty...

I am using 1 Neptune DOS to do automatic water changes of roughly 3.5 gallons per day.

20240107_143152.jpg

My salt vat (300 gallon) on the right and fresh on the left. This is in my garage. I ran a Neptune Aquabus cable along with 5 1/8" tubing lines through my attic back to my tank. The other DOS is for my CA & Soda Ash.

20240107_143911.jpg

I also ran a line from my breakout box behind the tank to the garage and hooked up a float switch in the salt vat that will shut of the auto water change DOS and send me a notification to refill the vat.

20240107_143133.jpg

I originally had the DOS's on the back wall behind the tank but it was way too loud when it was running the water change so I moved it to the garage. Tank is super quiet now.

I also have a DDR hooked up to the DOS to let me know how much CA and Soda ash I have in the buckets in my Apex which is nice.

Last edited:

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the new setup. Congrats. Interesting about the rock sucking up the po4 and releasing it back 6 months later. I have a newer reef with sps transferred from another tank. Been having to feed reef roids to keep po4 up. Any particular reason why you didn’t use some of the old rock in the new display?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back