OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the new setup. Congrats. Interesting about the rock sucking up the po4 and releasing it back 6 months later. I have a newer reef with sps transferred from another tank. Been having to feed reef roids to keep po4 up. Any particular reason why you didn’t use some of the old rock in the new display?
1 word - pocillopora :loudly-crying-face:

OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick coral shots from my phone. Man I really need to get out my good camera....

20240107_151802-2.jpg

20240107_151844-2.jpg

20240107_151945-2.jpg

20240107_151747-2.jpg

20240107_151925-2.jpg

20240107_151931-2.jpg

20240107_151656-2.jpg

20240107_151709-2.jpg

20240107_151754-2.jpg

20240107_151725-2.jpg

20240107_151829-2.jpg

I actually really hate frag plugs but I do like these frag rocks from Aqua Forest. They are ugly now but will blend in well as the coral and coralline grows. My buddy who I got the frags from turned me on to them. They make it easy to move the coral around should I want a better spot for them.

OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fantastic update. Tank is looking great. How is the closed loop doing. are they at 100%

I have the left side Vectra L2 running reefcrest at 90% split between 2 outputs. I had a Vectra L1 on the right side running at 45% going through 1 output (the other output is not really needed and is capped off at this point) but it seized up on me. I have a Vectra L2 being shipped here and will arrive tomorrow. it will run reefcrest at 45%. There is tons of flow in the tank from front to back, side to side. I have a tube anemone from my 210 in the 600 now that I might actually give to my friend because I cant find a calm enough spot in the tank for it.

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Angel Love is tweaking my heartstrings!!!! I am currently in planning for a 280. this is my wish list of what I used to have before I started getting fish from Dr. Reef. (Velvet nearly killed me for the hobby)
When they were all in there things were ok no signs of aggression... after the massive loss I havent been able to stock enough to break up the aggression of the 3 stooges so I stopped buying fish until I can move the regals and majestic into a scape first.

I want my regals back X2 lost to aggression
1 blue face lost to velvet
1 emperor lost to velvet
3 schooling bannerfish pigs who dominate my 180 obtained from Dr. Reef aka the 3 stooges
1 pink streak wrasse Salron
1 Midas blenny Adorable From Dr. Reef
2 captive bred black clowns med size mated but no babies :(
1 Harlequin tusk lost to velvet
1 Halichoeres leucoxanthus cant even spell it without a copy paste
1 majestic angel lost to velvet
I would be interested in your experiences with the regals and the other angels as that is my goal. I plan to try the softies and super easy corals, no stonys.

OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your Angel Love is tweaking my heartstrings!!!! I am currently in planning for a 280. this is my wish list of what I used to have before I started getting fish from Dr. Reef. (Velvet nearly killed me for the hobby)
When they were all in there things were ok no signs of aggression... after the massive loss I havent been able to stock enough to break up the aggression of the 3 stooges so I stopped buying fish until I can move the regals and majestic into a scape first.

I want my regals back X2 lost to aggression
1 blue face lost to velvet
1 emperor lost to velvet
3 schooling bannerfish pigs who dominate my 180 obtained from Dr. Reef aka the 3 stooges
1 pink streak wrasse Salron
1 Midas blenny Adorable From Dr. Reef
2 captive bred black clowns med size mated but no babies :(
1 Harlequin tusk lost to velvet
1 Halichoeres leucoxanthus cant even spell it without a copy paste
1 majestic angel lost to velvet
I would be interested in your experiences with the regals and the other angels as that is my goal. I plan to try the softies and super easy corals, no stonys.

Bummer, sorry to hear about the losses. Yeah I either quarantine all my fish or buy them pre-quarantined from a reputable vendor. Besides the transfers from my previous system all my fish have come from Dr. Reef so far. I have been really pleased with their customer service and the fish I have received from them. I currently have another 12 fish being quarantined right now with them.

On another note I went out of town for a few days and came back to most my acro's having burnt tips and lost my red dragon acro. I have been keeping my alkalinity below 7dKh since I don't have any PO4 in the tank. I wanted to shy away from dosing PO4 so I was dosing acropower hoping that would "substitute" the low nutrients in my tank, no such luck unfortunately. While I was gone my alk climbed to almost 8.

I decided to be pro active and take out the surviving corals and place them back into my buddies tank until my system is a bit more ready. I knew I was walking a fine line with placing acros into such a new system and one slight misstep could spell disaster. Not sure why I always think I am smarter than nature!

Anyways I am now dosing PO4 of roughly .08 per day which is breaking even from my last test which is now giving me a steady .04 PO4. Now instead of rushing things (nothing comes fast and easy in this hobby and I know it, not sure why I tempt fate) I am going to wait until coralline starts coming in before adding acros and chalices back in. I do have a couple of torches in the system now though which my buddy didnt have room for and they are doing great and haven't skipped a beat. Now its just a waiting game.

Last edited:
OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next order of fish coming in:

Tomini Tang - Quarantined (for the frag sump area)
x2 Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse - Quarantined
Black Nox Angelfish - Quarantined
Watanabei Angelfish (Female) - Quarantined
Flagfin Angelfish - Quarantined
Rusty Angelfish - Quarantined
Majestic Angelfish - Quarantined (last one didn't make it unfortunately)
Convict Tang - Quarantined
x2 Sleeper Blue Dot Goby - Quarantined

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next order of fish coming in:

Tomini Tang - Quarantined (for the frag sump area)
x2 Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse - Quarantined
Black Nox Angelfish - Quarantined
Watanabei Angelfish (Female) - Quarantined
Flagfin Angelfish - Quarantined
Rusty Angelfish - Quarantined
Majestic Angelfish - Quarantined (last one didn't make it unfortunately)
Convict Tang - Quarantined
x2 Sleeper Blue Dot Goby - Quarantined
Good list of fish! Can't wait to see all of them in your tank!

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a busy week. I have everything plumbed, tanked filled and cycling. I built up the back wall a little bit. More details to come.

20231117_084652.jpg

20231117_134323.jpg

20231120_100757.jpg
How wide is the panel cover the controllers and drain lines? i'm looking at these exact dimensions for my own build and like your tank a lot.

OP
OP
djkms

djkms

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back