Mis Information Rant

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I have learned that hleps me when I am looking for advice or info is to click on member names and look through their previous posts and even build threads to see if they are someone you feel comfortable accepting advice from by what you find. I've been seeking info long enough now there are a group that as soon I get and answer from one of them I'm comfortable with it. It just takes time to get there.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I have learned that hleps me when I am looking for advice or info is to click on member names and look through their previous posts and even build threads to see if they are someone you feel comfortable accepting advice from by what you find. I've been seeking info long enough now there are a group that as soon I get and answer from one of them I'm comfortable with it. It just takes time to get there.
Real people, real feedback :)
Avoid all the pre (scripted) jargon

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is possibly more misinformation than there is truth for online reefing. I’ve found that a lot of it comes from people who do have a lot of reefing experience.
So you're saying the best option is no option? Or what. I mean there are multiple reefers here for 20+ years

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the sentiment but in 2023 you can’t influence how people behave or think. All you can do is be better yourself and hope to teach your kids the same.

Try to help and improve the community through my own actions is what I’ve been doing.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If a post is posted then why ridicule what the person posted, then it turns into fact or fiction then ridiculed again... Fact or fiction
Then wound down to ' it's your fault'
'your equipment' sorry my tanks bigger then yours 'hence' follow me as I know best

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have taken so much out of this. Reef2reef website, I might invest into it as it looks like a worthy badge?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think people have invested so much of Thier life's into a single.
Loads of options out Thier.
I really appreciate reef2reef

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're saying the best option is no option? Or what. I mean there are multiple reefers here for 20+ years
I’m saying assume everything you hear on here is wrong and really think about any advice you get before using it(especially if the advice says to add anything to your tank other than what you can test for) Or you are going to kill a lot fish and throw a lot of money down the drain. The internet is full of misinformation. And the reef hobby is no exception. If anything it is way worse. And there are absolutely people on here with 20 years experience that are full of misinformation. I can think of 1 in particular that has like 70 years experience. There are also people on here that know a lot with 20+ years experience.

Use your brain, take multiple opinions, and decide what makes the most sense. Which can be very hard for new people who have no clue about keeping saltwater.

OP
OP
PeterErc

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think (possibly) what he was referring to was using a search engine like google as well as the search function here. But - Agree with you that it makes sense that for many of the questions have other threads that apply to the questions asked (which is why when one posts a thread it lists potential answers before you post so that you can avoid repetition).

I don't think many people 'make up' answers, but instead use their experience.

Since it's a discussion forum, IMHO everyone should have a chance to voice their comment. There are many 'experts' who 100% disagree with other 'experts' on this forum.

Its probably best to let mods 'call people out' by reporting a post - but I think, in any case, that calling people out on the types of things mention to a certain degree against the philosophy of the site. (assuming call someone out means 'draw critical attention to someone's unacceptable actions or behavior.'). Of course if someone makes a factual mistake thats a different story. JMO
Point well taken, thank you

OP
OP
PeterErc

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is possibly more misinformation than there is truth for online reefing. I’ve found that a lot of it comes from people who do have a lot of reefing experience.
Not so sure about more misinformation but quite a bit. Just watch the BS tv on you tube.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all except the search function for 10 year old versions of the same question... when I search most things I will ask the same question if the last thread I can find on the topic is over 2 years old... the knowledge base improves constantly and what was true a couple years ago or the only methods available years ago could easily have better solutions today.

So I'd rather see the same question asked by a new person then see some old person join the discussion to waste time posting "use the search function" or this has been brought up before. Those are the posts that every forum can do without.
Hey! I'm not old!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back