Mis Information Rant

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s not true don’t say it.

If you don’t know the answer don’t make one up.

If you have no experience with it leave it to the experienced and learn from it.

Don’t be a parrot and repeat everything you hear.

Use the search function instead of asking the same question that was answered many times before.

Call people out on the above.

I am sure that I am guilty. I do try to share my “experience”

Who am I, and how important is it

Disregard if my rant doesn’t apply

Thanks

cdemoss01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have no experience with it leave it to the experienced and learn from it.

Use the search function instead of asking the same question that was answered many times before.

Thanks
A poem?

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all except the search function for 10 year old versions of the same question... when I search most things I will ask the same question if the last thread I can find on the topic is over 2 years old... the knowledge base improves constantly and what was true a couple years ago or the only methods available years ago could easily have better solutions today.

So I'd rather see the same question asked by a new person then see some old person join the discussion to waste time posting "use the search function" or this has been brought up before. Those are the posts that every forum can do without.

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would agree on the asking a question point. With the evolution that has and will take place, context can change, strategy, deployment, etc. just because something looks 90% close, that other 10% could be that the guy was using 80CFL bulbs as a light source, but it wasn’t mentioned for like 8 posts later. Ask me how I know :)

OP
OP
PeterErc

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all except the search function for 10 year old versions of the same question... when I search most things I will ask the same question if the last thread I can find on the topic is over 2 years old... the knowledge base improves constantly and what was true a couple years ago or the only methods available years ago could easily have better solutions today.

So I'd rather see the same question asked by a new person then see some old person join the discussion to waste time posting "use the search function" or this has been brought up before. Those are the posts that every forum can do without.
I get your point, and agree with the top paragraph.

Jump over to the Reef Chemistry forum. Scroll through titles of a few pages. Randy answers the same questions and posts the same information over and over. A true gentleman.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I think (possibly) what he was referring to was using a search engine like google as well as the search function here. But - Agree with you that it makes sense that for many of the questions have other threads that apply to the questions asked (which is why when one posts a thread it lists potential answers before you post so that you can avoid repetition).

I don't think many people 'make up' answers, but instead use their experience.

Since it's a discussion forum, IMHO everyone should have a chance to voice their comment. There are many 'experts' who 100% disagree with other 'experts' on this forum.

Its probably best to let mods 'call people out' by reporting a post - but I think, in any case, that calling people out on the types of things mention to a certain degree against the philosophy of the site. (assuming call someone out means 'draw critical attention to someone's unacceptable actions or behavior.'). Of course if someone makes a factual mistake thats a different story. JMO

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"What's the best way to lower phosphates?"

I think back about 5 years ago researching the topic. I went with chaeto.

Depending on who was "on staff" you would get the LC users, the GFO crowd, etc. etc. some more prevalent than others.

Now I look through the same type of posts...."those numbers aren't high....do you have an algae problem....your tank looks fine, don't chase numbers".

So many pieces to the puzzle.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask any question you want. I'd never discourage someone new who has no idea what has or hasn't been asked from asking the simplest question in the world. If the question bothers you because it's been answered, don't reply or why not helpfully offer a link to a previous thread?

Mostly everything else, yes. More than anything though...and you didn't mention, don't present an opinion or anecdote as a fact. Present it as what it is.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing...if you have no evidence, support, or even know why you believe something don't spread it around regardless of how many people may believe it. Also, you it sometimes irritates me (just a personal thing) when people tout as empirical truth what I can only imagine originated from uncle Joe who did such and such at his fish shop 30 years ago and formed whatever personal opinions and spread them around as knowledge without having any idea why it may or may not be true scientifically or even realistic.

Just an example that I've heard here of something simply untrue: starfish simply cannot survive if exposed to air.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I answer a question based on something I have read or been told I always try to state that vs acting like it's fact. At the end of the day I think you just have to learn to wade through the BS to find what you want and just ignore posts that you find annoying. I fear it is only going to get worse.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A long time ago I made a very similar post that was wildly hated (mostly by people who very obviously didn't even read what I actually posted and certainly didn't read through any part of the thread whatsoever). I don't regret it for a second though! Part of my point was that people should feel at least a little responsibility for what they present as fact when giving advice. Yes, it's up to the person whether they take that advice but when you present things in a way which sounds like it's bulletproof and it just isn't, I don't think you can fairly blame someone who was seeking knowledge for something they knew nothing about for listening.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also back up with photos, I have learnt alot through reef2reef library and altough not up to date, it still has alot of passionate members that help with 'emergency' in my experiences

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
There is possibly more misinformation than there is truth for online reefing. I’ve found that a lot of it comes from people who do have a lot of reefing experience.

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
I’ve called it out many times, it has never been received well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back