MISSING CLOWNFISH - NEED HELP

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to do my water change today, just like every other weekend, but I only saw one of my clownfish. The female is still in the tank, but I can’t find the male. I checked all around the tank, near the rocks, in the sand, in the filter, but I can’t find it. Is it possible my snails ate it? I have Nassarius snails, banded trochus snails, and cerith snails in the tank as my COC, and I also have a recordia mushroom, three small zoa colonies, and a Nepthea leather. I’ve heard stories of fish disappearing then reappearing later on, but this just n seams buzzard. I saw it two or three days ago, and I’m pretty sure I saw it last night. What could have happened to it?

Also is there any way to pair a new clownfish to my current one if I introduce it to the tank? And if I can is it possible to do it with another type of clownfish? I currently have an Ocellarus Clownfish that is a little under a year and a half old.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an anemone for the clowns? If the female rejects the clown it will drive it away.

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an anemone for the clowns? If the female rejects the clown it will drive it away.
It turns out it did jump out and I just didn’t see it I found it dried up on the floor behind one of my storage bins. I’m currently attempting to pair the female with a new Ocellarus.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When adding a new clown, always keep them real small, say 1/2”-3/4” so we know we are not introducing a female.
I’ve had better luck adding same species same colour and pattern.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I went to do my water change today, just like every other weekend, but I only saw one of my clownfish. The female is still in the tank, but I can’t find the male. I checked all around the tank, near the rocks, in the sand, in the filter, but I can’t find it. Is it possible my snails ate it? I have Nassarius snails, banded trochus snails, and cerith snails in the tank as my COC, and I also have a recordia mushroom, three small zoa colonies, and a Nepthea leather. I’ve heard stories of fish disappearing then reappearing later on, but this just n seams buzzard. I saw it two or three days ago, and I’m pretty sure I saw it last night. What could have happened to it?

Also is there any way to pair a new clownfish to my current one if I introduce it to the tank? And if I can is it possible to do it with another type of clownfish? I currently have an Ocellarus Clownfish that is a little under a year and a half old.
Mine if missing always seem to end up in the overflow. Check overflow, sump, and of course floor

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine if missing always seem to end up in the overflow. Check overflow, sump, and of course floor
It turns out it did jump out and I just didn’t see it I found it dried up on the floor behind one of my storage bins. I’m currently attempting to pair the female with a new Ocellarus.
^^^

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When adding a new clown, always keep them real small, say 1/2”-3/4” so we know we are not introducing a female.
I’ve had better luck adding same species same colour and pattern.
i tried getting one similar size to my current one. It’s only an inch long so not too bad.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
sorry to hear but as suspected. Clowns change sexes. Get one you want- you may have to isolate current clown in acclimation box for a week or two, but introduce at night when lights go out. It makes a difference

OP
OP
A

ASWoodsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to hear but as suspected. Clowns change sexes. Get one you want- you may have to isolate current clown in acclimation box for a week or two, but introduce at night when lights go out. It makes a difference
Everything worked out rly smoothly. The new clownfish is the female in the pair, and I added a yellow coris wrasse, maybe 1.75” long rn.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back