Missing polyps goni

mnsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed that this Goni frag was missing few polyps on top when I brought it home. It was dipped and looked fairly clean… any ideas?

IMG_6497.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is fairly common. Unfortunately when they start to Lose tissue like that it can be a bad sign and they end up losing all polyps eventually. Sometimes they fully recover. It’s maddening.

OP
OP
M

mnsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is fairly common. Unfortunately when they start to Lose tissue like that it can be a bad sign and they end up losing all polyps eventually. Sometimes they fully recover. It’s maddening.
What are some common cause? Bacteria? Parasite? Ion?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What are some common cause? Bacteria? Parasite? Ion?
Something as simple as parameter fluctuation can get them stressed out and that leaves them susceptible to bacterial infections. Gonis are also well known for withering away after doing well for a few weeks/months in a tank in particular if it’s a wild caught Goni and not an aquacultured specimen. Manganese and Iron dosing seems to help keep them happy. Something to think about. How’s yours doing?

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some gonis are harder to keep. I’m not sure but I think some still struggle no matter the tank they are in. Anyway the best thing you can do is keep a healthy stable environment for the time being and limit swings as much as possible

OP
OP
M

mnsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I’ve done so far.

Lugols dip, which made lots of polyps to fall off. I think those polyps were dying.. about half left.

Target “dosing” restor.

Prodibio biokit reef (local fish store recommendation)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 43 40.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 29.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 18 16.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back