missing snail suspected to be dead

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as the title says I have a missing nassarius snail. I have a ammonia spike of 2.0ppm. my tank is a 12g jbj nano cube. I have ran my fingers through all the sand and cannot find it. I have been doing 50% wc almost everyday and dosing prime to combat it. how long do you think it will last in my tank? before the break decay finishes it off. I have no cuc left besides a singular turbo snail due to a die off from h202 dosing.

any recommendations are welcome

thanks in advance

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked in the overflow section. Snails can be sneaky and crawl to all sorts of odd places

Lol indeed I have even found my clown fish in the over flow lol unfortunately it only has my media and floss

To combat the ammonia the prime is ok for now, it binds the ammonia but only lasts for 24 to 48 hours. If you have a petco nearby grab a bottle of biospira, it will help you out a lot

I have dr tims one and only. Was going to test tommorow morning thsn wc and dose if it was still up there.

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found him! came out at 3am with a small uv flash light for checking on recovering corals and found him rummaging lol the little monster had me sweating lol Thank you for all the recommendations.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that 12g isnt huge, but can 1 dead little nassarius really cause a spike?

OP
OP
xiholdtruex

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that 12g isnt huge, but can 1 dead little nassarius really cause a spike?

It is a continuous ammonia battery I believe so. My 12g accounting for live rock and sand only holds about 8g of water. My sand is clean. Only feed twice a week a few pelets to my single clown fish. Wc once a week 50%. Thats why I was looking at where it was coming from. Other than that I am clueless as to what caused the spike.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less water means more rock and sand which means more bacteria to oxidize said ammonia. Are you using API to test?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 52.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back