Missing Watchman Goby!!

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I introduced my first fish into my 35g tank, acclimated well and was sitting in one spot, with some movement throughout the tank. This morning its missing! Like completely pulled a Houdini on me and vanished. I checked the chambers in my AIO nothing. I didnt move my rocks around going on a crazy hunt, but im concerned if the YWG died or got stuck somewhere. Should i strip the scape and go on search for this goby or just wait it out? any advise is greatly appreciated.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t take the rock out probably somewhere where you can’t see him. He will appear

OP
OP
T

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you James. Should I drop some food in the tank, some pellets or mysis? I havent had a chance to monitor the goby feed.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like to spend tome in burrows. How long ago was this? Any new fish can hide for days to get used to a new tank. Taking things out to look for it might get the fish injured and will make it take longer for him to feel comfortable. Just be patient and I bet he will reappear. My ywg was barely seen for some time after I added him.

OP
OP
T

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They like to spend tome in burrows. How long ago was this? Any new fish can hide for days to get used to a new tank. Taking things out to look for it might get the fish injured and will make it take longer for him to feel comfortable. Just be patient and I bet he will reappear. My ywg was barely seen for some time after I added him.
thank you, added the YWG 2 days ago. Its the only fish in the tank so it doesnt have to deal with any forms of aggression. Il leave the rock scape, how did you get the YWG to feed?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had to do anything special. He just ate. I didn’t see him eating for a while also. They are sand sifting top so they can get some food from the sand. Can’t be much help there if he’s not eating. But if he’s the only fish I’d use some king of feeder to very carefully squirt some food near him if you see him. Otherwise you’ll probably end up over feeding the tank to get him food

OP
OP
T

tee89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had to do anything special. He just ate. I didn’t see him eating for a while also. They are sand sifting top so they can get some food from the sand. Can’t be much help there if he’s not eating. But if he’s the only fish I’d use some king of feeder to very carefully squirt some food near him if you see him. Otherwise you’ll probably end up over feeding the tank to get him food
the issue is the tank was established quite recently so i doubt theres much in the sand. i just drop a few sinking micro pellets once a day hoping its eating.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always figure if there’s food available and he wants to eat he will find it. Nobody feeds them in the ocean. As long as competition in the tank doesn’t take it all but in your case that doesn’t happen.

ariellemermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I introduced my first fish into my 35g tank, acclimated well and was sitting in one spot, with some movement throughout the tank. This morning its missing! Like completely pulled a Houdini on me and vanished. I checked the chambers in my AIO nothing. I didnt move my rocks around going on a crazy hunt, but im concerned if the YWG died or got stuck somewhere. Should i strip the scape and go on search for this goby or just wait it out? any advise is greatly appreciated.
Longest my watchman disappeared was about 2 full weeks. That’s some time after he was established in the tank with a pistol. Just went into his hole and didn’t come back out randomly for that long for no good reason.

Also, the watchmen I’ve had exhibited strange behaviors without a pistol. They would free swim in the water column, hang out either on the middle of the glass or along a seam, under a filter lip, etc. So just be sure to look everywhere, but definitely don’t do anything crazy like take out the rock to look for him. He could be dead and hidden in which case your CUC will take care of it, or he’s alive and will show up again in days to weeks. He’s probably doing just fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back