Mitigating a possible Aquarium Fire: What steps do you take?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello and Happy Monday!

I'm in the process of putting together a list of things we can do to mitigate causing a fire because of our reef aquariums and I need your help!

Please share with us some of the things you do to keep from starting a fire cause by your tank!

strip fire.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No discount power bars - get a nice 15amp rated APC, and never get close to it's max. Mount it away from the tank and not in or on the cabinet, which is where the water will end up if there is a leak. Drip loop - easy way to ensure this is to mount it a foot or so off the floor.

Smoke alarms are a given, but I also have a webcam on each tank ($20 tapo). Bought them to watch my dog while I was at work, but now I have a little extra piece of mind.

I am a little weary of controllers but that's likely more just naivety than something real.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Remote GFCI if you can
Quality Power Strips like the ISOBAR
Drip Loops,

One of these can be installed in fish rooms, cabinets for when something happens and you're not home.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are considering adding one of these to the Controls cabinet we just set up. the power bricks get pretty war, and after the recent rash of fires, it makes me a bit nervous.

There are a number of brands of these automotive fire extinguishers ,and they are generally used as a under-the-hood- device of vehicles. I think there is little chance for them to go accidently get triggered when not need, since they would be designed to operate in pretty harsh environment.

The main drawback might be what it would do the tank inhabitant should it get into the water. but then if there enough of a fire in your hose or business to set it off, that may be the least of your worries.

1685987652318.png

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great information so far everyone! Can't wait to put it all together!

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add to the great ideas already posted to be aware of your plumbing. Leave enough room in your sump that should a power failure happen the water draining back to the sump will handle the volume until your vacuum break stops the suction. I stopped using holes in my return piping and instead put in a tee upper pipe open I had the holes plug up with calcium and over flow the sump with the tee over flow doesn’t happen. Only drawback is visually can’t really hide it but better than water on the floor or on electrical. I once had a fire and was lucky didn’t burn the house down. Also don’t trust check valves their failure during a power outage is what caused my fire.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an extinguisher next to my tank.
A smoke detector velcroed inside my stand.
Never ever use cheap power strips-learned the hard way.
All cords coming from the tank with drip loops.
Tripp lite power strips are all I use now.
I also have my sump on the side of my tank. All electrical is in the stand.
Not feasible for everyone but it works for me.
I've never had a real fire but I've had power strips melt. Usually from cheap equipment.
One of the biggest things I've learned is when cleaning stuff like wavemakers and skimmers is watch the plug. It usually gets wet when cleaning and that has caused me issues as well.

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it’s a scary one
As said above smoke alarm in your electrical compartment. Here in the uk it is law to only fit interlinked smoke alarms so if one room is a blaze the full house smoke alarms go off . So you can not sleep through a start of a fire in your home . The old ones did only one room so you could be sleeping and not know downstairs was engulfed with fire. And the number one rule get your family out safely You can always buy another tank again but not your family.

Last edited:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have not yet, but will soon add a water mist fire extinguisher in case a fire should break out (that can be controlled). This type of (A, C) fire extinguisher will not cause damage to the reef inhabitants.
Jeez that’s an expensive fire extinguisher! I personally would go with a smaller less expensive fire extinguisher especially with space for most. Most of the time if there’s a fire near or caused by a fish tank the inhabitants are probably already doomed and it’s a matter of saving everything else unfortunately. But I get it…it’s an insurance policy. The more I research I learn that there’s fire extinguishers around $300 and some that have to ship empty so you are basically paying for an expensive mental barrel you have to get filled yourself.

Last edited:

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez that’s an expensive fire extinguisher! I personally would go with a smaller less expensive fire extinguisher especially with space for most. Most of the time if there’s a fire near or caused by a fish tank the inhabitants are probably already doomed and it’s a matter of saving everything else unfortunately. But I get it…it’s an insurance policy. The more I research I learn that there’s fire extinguishers around $300 and some that have to ship empty so you are basically paying for an expensive mental barrel you have to get filled yourself.
Yep and remember different fire extinguishers for different fires ie electric / wood . You would not like to put out a electrical fire with a water fire extinguisher . Some extinguishers are powder/ foam / Water . Or would you have time to turn off all your electricity off at the breaker when there’s a fire going on or would you remember in that situation of panic imo. So we all need the correct fire extinguisher beside are tanks . Like you said it’s a another back up

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep and remember different fire extinguishers for different fires ie electric / wood . You would not like to put out an electrical fire with a water fire extinguisher . Some extinguishers are powder/ foam / Water . Or would you have time to turn off all your electricity off at the breaker when there’s a fire going on or would you remember in that situation of panic imo
The more expensive ones put out every type of fire class so A-K which has someone covered for everything and are most commonly seen in businesses. At least where you are most likely to see all classes of fires and would need something to cover everything or be up to code which is overkill for personal use.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For electrical, wouldn't the go to be Arc fault breaker + automatic CO2 extinguisher?

For exploding heaters...? I remember a reddit thread on someone's who blew up and launched melted bits feet away from an aquarium..

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep and remember different fire extinguishers for different fires ie electric / wood . You would not like to put out a electrical fire with a water fire extinguisher . Some extinguishers are powder/ foam / Water . Or would you have time to turn off all your electricity off at the breaker when there’s a fire going on or would you remember in that situation of panic imo. So we all need the correct fire extinguisher beside are tanks . Like you said it’s a another back up

The fire extinguisher in my link is for Types A, C. So, it is meant for electrical as well. The special nozzle sprays dionized water.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For electrical, wouldn't the go to be Arc fault breaker + automatic CO2 extinguisher?

For exploding heaters...? I remember a reddit thread on someone's who blew up and launched melted bits feet away from an aquarium..

The AFCI breakers apparently can trip at inappropriate times which could lead to a premature tank failure.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I utilize GFCI and also incorporate drip loops om all wires and also have leak detector.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back