Mitras LX 7206 on a Reefer 450

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice.

I am replacing a Giesemann Spectra 48" that is currently over my Reefer 450. I love this light, it has been great for me, but my fiancee is finally asking that I replace it to bring down the electric bill a bit.

I originally was thinking four Hydra 26's would do the trick for me. I can't bring myself to pay for Radions.

Then I came across the Mitras LX 7206. How many of these would I need to get good coverage with minimal shadowing on a Reefer 450? I really don't want to add T5 supplementation if I can help it. I currently have mostly a mixed reef, but I would like the option to move towards a more SPS heavy tank in the future.

Any advice would be thoroughly appreciated!

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
2x LX7’s will give you great coverage and no shadowing. If you’re going very heavy SPS you could always add a 3rd one down the road, if you find that you need it - though you very likely won’t.
I run a RSR 450 as well, with 2x LX7’s running long ways, perpendicular to the length of the tank. Mixed Reef, LPS, SPS, rics, zoas, etc

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
2x LX7’s will give you great coverage and no shadowing. If you’re going very heavy SPS you could always add a 3rd one down the road, if you find that you need it - though you very likely won’t.
I run a RSR 450 as well, with 2x LX7’s running long ways, perpendicular to the length of the tank. Mixed Reef, LPS, SPS, rics, zoas, etc

What percentage do you run the lights at in your system? Do you have a good bit of head room if you had to turn up the power?

Just to clarify, when you say long ways, I think you mean parallel with the tank right? like an equal sign = not a plus sign +. :)

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
~75% however I use cloudy days, to bring it back down 1/2 the week. Allows me some more dynamic ranges with highs and lows.
And yes, parallel with the tank. Where you can see the displays of the lights from the side panels.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this light, it has been great for me, but my fiancee is finally asking that I replace it to bring down the electric bill a bit.

Man, your kwh must be pretty high where you live. My 48" Spectra runs about $11/month @ 8 hours/day for the MH and 2 hours/day for the T5. Add in the fact that the heaters don't have to run as often... it's actually less than $11/month.

But if I was going to run LED, it would most likely be the LX7s!

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, your kwh must be pretty high where you live. My 48" Spectra runs about $11/month @ 8 hours/day for the MH and 2 hours/day for the T5. Add in the fact that the heaters don't have to run as often... it's actually less than $11/month.

But if I was going to run LED, it would most likely be the LX7s!

I actually don't know exactly how much it costs me, but I do know that since I started using it we have been getting "Unusual Usage Detected" messages from our supplier saying that our usage is X dollars more than last year. I'm sure some of it might be the lights, but some of it might be the QT I started in our basement :oops:.

What happens though is these emails get sent to my fiancee, who manages the utility bills, and she forwards every single one of these emails to me. I'm in the process of trying to start up a frag tank in our basement too, so the bill is likely to get even higher. In an effort to keep her on board with allowing me to keep feeding the addiction, I need it to look like I am cutting back somewhere, so here I am...:)

@Broadfield you were the one who originally convinced me to go the Spectra route, and it was wonderful while it lasted, but unfortunately, I think it has to go now. It does mean quite a bit to me though to hear you endorse the Mitras! There are so many choices with LEDs. I was originally leaning Hydras, but after reading a ton of reviews the Mitras seem to be getting really positive feedback, and I really like how spread out the LED pucks are for better coverage.

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually don't know exactly how much it costs me, but I do know that since I started using it we have been getting "Unusual Usage Detected" messages from our supplier saying that our usage is X dollars more than last year. I'm sure some of it might be the lights, but some of it might be the QT I started in our basement :oops:.

What happens though is these emails get sent to my fiancee, who manages the utility bills, and she forwards every single one of these emails to me. I'm in the process of trying to start up a frag tank in our basement too, so the bill is likely to get even higher. In an effort to keep her on board with allowing me to keep feeding the addiction, I need it to look like I am cutting back somewhere, so here I am...:)

@Broadfield you were the one who originally convinced me to go the Spectra route, and it was wonderful while it lasted, but unfortunately, I think it has to go now. It does mean quite a bit to me though to hear you endorse the Mitras! There are so many choices with LEDs. I was originally leaning Hydras, but after reading a ton of reviews the Mitras seem to be getting really positive feedback, and I really like how spread out the LED pucks are for better coverage.

Hahahaha, hey man, whatever works to get that frag tank! Yeah, I can't wait to try out the Mitras someday. They perform great and I love the look of them. I just don't see myself replacing my Spectra... so it will have to be on a future tank. Well, unless @Marco@GHLUSA wants to send me some to try out;)

Last edited:

Support@GHLUSA

Team GHL
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a sane safeguard, to avoid burning out the chips, or damaging the electronics, and depend on environment obviously. If you run all channels at 100%, in a very warm scenario with limited air supply, such as a canopy the units will definitively heat up and throttle power. Under normal operation, depending on how much power is applied, seeing a throttle is rare but possible.
We also allow you to specify the fan % (low and quiet, or high and possibly more audible), and temp throttle - we believe every high powered fixture should do this, to safe guard. And others may, but just not show/advertise it.

I know in my DIY days, I've burned out countless LED Chips (1w, 3w & 10w) due to temp runoff.

OP
OP
re76

re76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I'm trying to think ahead about how I could mount these lights. I currently have two wires coming from the ceiling that right now go to the Giesemann Spectra.

I want to avoid adding more holes in the ceiling but prefer to hang my lights. I think I want to go with three fixtures. If I find two is plenty, then the other will be used eventually anyway on my frag tank.

I am thinking I could hang a piece of 8020 from the ceiling using the existing two wires. From what I can find it looks like the mount points are just an M4 threaded hole? Are you able to confirm this? If that's the case I think I could just use some pieces of M4 threaded rod and some 8020 M4 T-Nuts.

This would allow me to mount 2-3 lights to the 8020, and then hang the 8020 (with lights attached) from the existing wires in the ceiling.

Ozzydeanizzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a sane safeguard, to avoid burning out the chips, or damaging the electronics, and depend on environment obviously. If you run all channels at 100%, in a very warm scenario with limited air supply, such as a canopy the units will definitively heat up and throttle power. Under normal operation, depending on how much power is applied, seeing a throttle is rare but possible.
We also allow you to specify the fan % (low and quiet, or high and possibly more audible), and temp throttle - we believe every high powered fixture should do this, to safe guard. And others may, but just not show/advertise it.

I know in my DIY days, I've burned out countless LED Chips (1w, 3w & 10w) due to temp runoff.
Hello,
I live in Australia is there any suppliers over here for these lights?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back