OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed nem tank too! Everyone said it was impossible but I run a ton of carbon, feed heavy, and water change once a week and all has been good for a while! If you ever end up selling any of your purple passions I’d be interested!
Omg that’s amazing! I’m so excited to meet you. Please post some pics. Yep they always tell me that as well. Oh for sure, once a get a few more splits I will come back and tag you.

OP
OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to boast or pat myself on the back, but just for another data point - I run zero carbon in my nem tank, and haven't done a water change/tested the water in months. The tank is overgrown with xenia, so maybe that's helping with the water quality :thinking-face:. Currently, it's stocked with rainbow bubble tip, nexus burst, black widow, CC supernova, and a chicago anemone. I don't think there's any actual warfare going on since everyone has been happy (besides the CC super nova, all the other anemones have been in there together for 4+ months).
Well first of all you should pay yourself on the back. That’s amazing! You are goals.
haha. Oh Xenia, always coming through clutch LOL. Oh wow! I bet those nems are beautiful, supernova and nexus are on my wish list to get.
I would love to see some pics if you get a chance. That’s so awesome!

vtshadow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of controversy surrounding this and chemical warfare. I ended up coming on reef 2 reef because the Facebook Groups for saltwater are full of angry know it all people that just want to be rude and nasty. LOL.
I was told by many many people in these groups that you cannot mix anemones even if they are the same species because of chemical warfare and that they will fight. But I looked and looked and looked all over the world wide wide and while there really isn’t much on allopathy (chemical warfare) most of it seems to be with mixing different species of nems. I’m not saying that it cannot happen HOWEVER I am in agreement with you. They are all the same nem. A lot of these higher end nem guys talk about how you cannot mix sunbursts with other bubble tips and it just makes me want to get a sunburst and see how it does. LOL. One of these higher end guys ended up admitting that they reason they don’t want to mix is because the nems can morph by touching each other. I have a baby rose that loves to touch the LemonDrop at all times and it’s color is completely different than all the other roses. So essentially they don’t want the bloodline tainted because they don’t make the big money. This tank has resulted in many people calling me crazy stating it won’t last. However it just pushes me to continue with the tank.
anyway getting to my long winded point (facepalm) You are correct in my opinion, they are all the same Nem type and they would all be able to sit together and touch. They have a foot, so they can move if unhappy.
I have a colorado sunburst for sale if you ever plan on trying it :)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to me it’s crazy how these can split and recover so fast! They were like this the next day!
62CA9A1A-523D-4909-BE02-0B518FD579CD.jpeg

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just documenting my Mixed Bubble Tip Anemone Tank. My tank is a RedSea 350. The tank is currently 2.5 years old. My nems have been together for about a year. And all seems to be going well. As of yet no signs of chemical warfare. I have 19 nems total which include Rainbows, Rose, Black Widow, Green Acid Wash, Sherman Rose, Purple Passion and a Lemon Drop. They are fed daily as I have a paired Wild Caught Australian Gold Band Maroon and Frostbite Ocellaris Clownfish. (They have been paired for years) they are target fed Willows Coral Fest and Fuel for Corals by Aquavitro 2-3 times a week. They also eat the particles of food that are fed to the fish as well. The lights are 2 AI Primes and 1 AI Hydra 52. I do a water change of 30 percent weekly. I call it my Ocean Rainbow. I am currently working on a 180 gal upgrade. I will document my nem tank journey.
1F4F4DD2-2CCA-4565-A05F-3B56C60B2293.jpeg
36B0573F-3E2E-45B6-910D-C03AB5615C41.jpeg
95D8060C-EA7F-472C-AD7F-894C120EB672.jpeg
What a beautiful collection!! Looks like fireworks with splash of colors all over!

I have 12 Nems and lots of soft corals and LPSs ... and all fine but I keep all separate - one of my Nem touched my Digitata and almost burnt him ... I see your Nems are next to torches and probably touching other stuff too (like the zoas?) - do you see any stings/ problems?

Evoixjohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just won a Chicago sunburst in a random drawing on Facebook.1 of the other guys on there telling me it’s not gonna work. Mixing my rainbow nems,with the sunburst. So far day 2 and it’s eating.

Attachments

• 7C35A8E0-8587-4D7A-A3D0-92C393E89948.jpeg
    7C35A8E0-8587-4D7A-A3D0-92C393E89948.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a beautiful collection!! Looks like fireworks with splash of colors all over!

I have 12 Nems and lots of soft corals and LPSs ... and all fine but I keep all separate - one of my Nem touched my Digitata and almost burnt him ... I see your Nems are next to torches and probably touching other stuff too (like the zoas?) - do you see any stings/ problems?
Thank you! I love how you described them looking like fireworks. That’s a great description. Oh wow! 12 nems! That’s great. Please post a pic. I love seeing peoples nems.
so yes I have had some issues with my nems, I had some beautiful blue German montipora on the rocks and the nems stung it to death. One of the reasons I reaquascaped (shout out to my bf because he did it for me and it looks amazing) I have one zoa that reacts badly to the nem on the overflow and I am going to move him tomorrow, however my palys don’t even close if the nems touch them. I think it depends on what type of coral it is. And also having a walking anemone doesn’t help because they will walk all over your corals.

OP
OP
LyssaRanay

LyssaRanay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just won a Chicago sunburst in a random drawing on Facebook.1 of the other guys on there telling me it’s not gonna work. Mixing my rainbow nems,with the sunburst. So far day 2 and it’s eating.
ROLLING MY EYES so hard right now. Do you know how many people have told me the same thing? So many. People also told me this tank would never work. This is my philosophy on nems, Nems are animals. They need to feel happy and secure just like any other animal, they need to be well fed and in a stable environment and if you can provide those things you should be okay. With anything in this hobby it’s a gamble, however I am okay with the gamble I am taking with my mixing of the nems.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back