Mixed reef coral bleaching

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Throw some carbon in the socks and shut the reactor off, don’t try and feed the corals with roids just feed the fish and add the aminos, they’ll get all they need from the left overs and fish poop

OP
OP
J

Jtk920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, never thought about doing it that way, thank you much. I added a pic of the light settings, though I don't believe it's the issue. The corals that are decent size came from a tank running 2 kessils 10-12" directly above them, they were not frags or shipped. No way am I putting am I putting out the par he was. My light is 18" above them and 36" to the sand bed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210314-185710~2.png
    Screenshot_20210314-185710~2.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 49

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CARE LEVEL: Intermediate
TEMPERAMENT: Semi-Aggressive
PLACEMENT: On Rockwork or Rubble
WATER MOVEMENT: Strong
LIGHTING: Moderate- Strong

5 different suppliers have this listed for requirements for green birdsnest

Prefers subdued lighting.

OP
OP
J

Jtk920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Prefers subdued lighting.
That's for yellow, I have green and wwc says moderate-strong light

saltybees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the lighting like we were conversing about. Just try what we talked about first and see how the tank does..patience is definitely a virtue at this point. I’d change the carbon every week or 2 also just to help with keeping the toxins down if the dinos are dying off. Unfortunately you might experience more loss before anything gets better but don’t give up and just try your best to keep things stable once you get the parameters to where they should be. If you can get some phyto too I’d look into that, it definitely helps with the overall health of the tank imo.

OP
OP
J

Jtk920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested water this morning.
Ph 8.16
Alk 7.0
Cal 520
NH3 .1
NO2 .1
NO3 2-3
PO4 0-.25
Not sure how the calcium went up so high, but I won't be dosing cal till it starts dropping. Are there I'll affects from it being high? Should I do a small water change to drop it a bit?

OP
OP
J

Jtk920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, I've had stable conditions in the tank.
Alk 9
Cal 520
Showing traces of nutrients
Ammonia 0
Just about everything is almost all white and the toxic green zoanthids open slightly
I've been dosing photo and amino.
Wondering if I should start slowly turning the light up or hold off awhile yet?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have some dinos going on, there almost gone. They started after adding the rock with the
-blue acropora ORA pearl berry, acropora Green Tort, and orange montipora setosa.
Did 4 12 gallon water changes the last 3 weeks and added one dose of vibrant.
If you have dino going on, you want to adjust/ramp the lights up slowly. Alk range best at 8-9 and I have two 14" colonies of birdnest that do best under moderate lighting. In general, when people think of keeping SPS corals, they assume they need high lighting requirements. And it’s true. The most important thing that these corals depend on is lighting.
However, when it comes to the Birds Nest Coral, the lighting mostly depends on the type of these corals. Different varieties come from different regions of the reef. And they all have different lighting requirements, even though they are the same species. In general, the Birds Nest coral is disease resistant. However, it won’t tolerate poor water conditions, like any other SPS coral. If you’ve noticed any changes different than usual, check your water parameters first.
If everything is on point as it should be, start looking into other things such as lighting and water flow. Sometimes too much light can result in coral bleaching. Other kinds of stress such as the change in temperature, low salinity or not enough nutrients can also cause bleaching.
Beginners tend to rush things out, oftentimes introducing SPS corals in a sterile tank that’s only a couple of months old. Even though the Bird’s Nest is the hardiest among them, it will be under stress in that environment. That’s why is so important to have a mature and well-established reef tank before you even consider buying these types of corals.
Another mistake that can lead to bleaching and dying of these beautiful corals is poor acclimation. Always acclimate properly to avoid such problems at the start of your reefing journey. As I said, the lights will be probably the most common problem that results in bleaching.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Update, I've had stable conditions in the tank.
Alk 9
Cal 520
Showing traces of nutrients
Ammonia 0
Just about everything is almost all white and the toxic green zoanthids open slightly
I've been dosing photo and amino.
Wondering if I should start slowly turning the light up or hold off awhile yet?
CA a little high- 440-450 best range

OP
OP
J

Jtk920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is mature, around 2-2.5 years running. I have dosed any calcium in over a month. The birdsnest is at the bottom. I haven't started ramping the lights up yet. Any chance there bleaching from lack of light? Salinity has been kept stable at 1.025. still running carbon but I removed the phosban. Nutrients have all been holding stable, alk fluctuates a bit but has been held pretty close to 8.4. I bought new hanna meters for testing as I wasn't trusting the drops.

MacdaRippa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like tank is not ironically balanced and you have been starving it of nutrients, via too much filtration. You really need to test the Mag to find out how things are balancing out in there

OP
OP
J

Jtk920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk 8.2
PO4 .06
NO2 .1
NO3 2
Cal 500
Salinity 1.025
Mag 1400
Ph 8.2
Not sure where I'm not balanced?

OP
OP
J

Jtk920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on why corals are still going down hill?
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.24
Alk 7.9
Cal 482
Mag 1200
NH3 0
NO2 .02
NO3 0
PO4 .06
These were the results from this morning.
My neon green trumpet is slowly losing its color from the bottom up. The rest of the coral has pretty much lost all color.

Attachments

• 16172949130866296914963040393631.jpg
    16172949130866296914963040393631.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
J

Jtk920

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seeing as how things haven't been improving I decided to turn the light up, I did this slowly over the last 2 weeks or so. T5's, 4 bulbs are on 4 hrs, 2 are in 8, and the 60" led running peak 80%, peaking for 4 hrs. Not sure if this is a good idea but nothing else was stopping the lose of color.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Mag gets much lower you'll start having difficulty keeping your Alk and Ca levels stable.
Your NO3 should at least show something on a test and I see your's has dropped. I'd prefer to see some to rule it out.
Especially when upping your photoperiod try to keep your readings consistent and hopefully things will turn around. From my experience, more light = more nutrients needed.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on why corals are still going down hill?
Salinity 1.025
Ph 8.24
Alk 7.9
Cal 482
Mag 1200
NH3 0
NO2 .02
NO3 0
PO4 .06
These were the results from this morning.
My neon green trumpet is slowly losing its color from the bottom up. The rest of the coral has pretty much lost all color.
No3 is for sure bad. That supposed to be around 3-5ppm

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back