Mixed reef flow and equipment

KPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I've got a question about flow rate and wave pumps. I’ve seen a pretty brad range of ideas when it comes to optimal circulation when it comes to marine tanks. I’m currently running a RSR 350 with 8 fish (some pretty active swimmers: 3 lyretail anthias, tomini tang, two clowns, two yellow tail damsels) and I think 9 corals. LPS and softies only. I have no real interest in putting any SPS in this tank. I’ve seen people say anywhere from 10x per hour to 30-40x per hour. I’ve also heard people say not to count your return pump in your calculations. So. I’ve got a Red Sea reef wave 25 and two current USA 650 GPH pumps. The c USA pumps are at 100% on wave mode and my reef wave is at 100% but on random. I don’t think this is really cutting it.

What are your thoughts on what flow rate should be for my set up and do I need more flow? There are two spots where detritus builds up and I have to remove the clumps daily. And it doesn’t seem to matter how or where I move my smaller pumps to, there’s always at least one dead spot where stuff gathers.

Do I need another reef wave 25? I’m thinking of, at the very least, switching these two 650gph CUSA pumps out for two of their 2100gph wave pumps. I can always adjust the flow rate down.
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!
6A4DADF8-F13B-462D-BB4C-3635C2C609E1.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of opinions, many based on very different systems and experience bases. Your corals should be the main consideration as species and individual prefferences will vary, some by a lot. FWIW there will always be dead spots and arguably it may be beneficial as fish poop in the detritus will break down and add to the carbonate cycle in your reef. Personally I'd be happy with what you have, maybe paly with locations and angle of the pumps so the detritus collects where it doesn't bother you.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back