Mixed Reef Tips?

Should I even attempt to mix stylophora and LPS in a 75g? Please share your tips!!

• It's too difficult, don't bother

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone here have tips for mixing LPS and SPS? I really want to include some ORA Pink Stylophora with my planned photosynthetic gorgonians, micromussa lords, goniopora, and a few other LPS, but I'm not sure how best to do it. Stylos aren't super-high-flow, are they? Anyone got tips for getting enough flow through them without blowing the flesh off the LPS?

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You just aim your powerheads higher and keep the sps in the top half with higher flow and light demands. You need to be aware of space requirements of some lps.
That's a thought, isn't it? Thanks! I will do that. And yeah, I know, LPS can be very sweeper-y....how aggressive are stylos?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, it can be done by keeping the SPS on top and the LPS and softs mid tank and bottom. Flow and lights will need to be set accordingly also. Mixed reefs can be difficult to balance light and flow to keep everything happy but it can be done.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, it can be done by keeping the SPS on top and the LPS and softs mid tank and bottom. Flow and lights will need to be set accordingly also. Mixed reefs can be difficult to balance light and flow to keep everything happy but it can be done.
Thanks. Guess I'm gonna need a par meter from somewhere, huh?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Brainer.
I aim my powerheads to the wall to break up the flow. I do have one across the front because it wouldn't fit on the back. Full tank, another story.
Gargonians do release toxins too. Just be aware of that and activated carbon can mitigate that problem. Just something to be aware of. I have 1 large colony(can't see in the pic) and haven't used carbon in quite some time. And my purple Stylo is on top to the right, just behind the other SPS. You can see the tips some.
My LPS, hammers, Frammer, galaxia, Duncan, ect, are kinda against a wall front. That gives them some protection from the high flow my SPS need.

20221201_170147.jpg

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Brainer.
I aim my powerheads to the wall to break up the flow. I do have one across the front because it wouldn't fit on the back. Full tank, another story.
Gargonians do release toxins too. Just be aware of that and activated carbon can mitigate that problem. Just something to be aware of. I have 1 large colony(can't see in the pic) and haven't used carbon in quite some time. And my purple Stylo is on top to the right, just behind the other SPS. You can see the tips some.
My LPS, hammers, Frammer, galaxia, Duncan, ect, are kinda against a wall front. That gives them some protection from the high flow my SPS need.

20221201_170147.jpg
OK, cool, thank you! So you're mostly hitting the LPS indirectly, with the flow that bounces off the glass.

OP
OP
Eienna

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was shocked how low my par was with my radion lights after I finally got a par meter. When I raised intensity the whole tank came alive with growth.
I figure it'll help me determine the best spots for the stylos....but my main thought is I don't want to fry anything X_X

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of the mix you describe, the gorgonian strikes me as the outlier. I haven't kept gorgs in years but found it challenging to keep them happy while keeping enough light & flow for everybody else. Not saying you shouldn't try though!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does anyone here have tips for mixing LPS and SPS? I really want to include some ORA Pink Stylophora with my planned photosynthetic gorgonians, micromussa lords, goniopora, and a few other LPS, but I'm not sure how best to do it. Stylos aren't super-high-flow, are they? Anyone got tips for getting enough flow through them without blowing the flesh off the LPS?
Ive only run mixed reefs and one of the things I feel that has made it work is use of chemiPure Blue as both LPS and SPS have their own toxins which they release, and the product helps alleviate that. The challenge often is an acceptable balance of light and flow to keep both happy.

anthonymckay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the Kessil on the left side at much higher intensity (100% + narrowing reflector) than the right side of my tank (runs at 50% intensity without a narrowing reflector). The left side is where all my SPS are, the right side is full of things like zoas and LPS. I have Nero 5's on the left and right, and a Nero 3 in the center. The right side Nero 5 runs at a lower flow rate as well compared to the left side. Been running things like this for a while on this tank and everything seems to be happy in their respective places.

IMG_2687.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figure it'll help me determine the best spots for the stylos....but my main thought is I don't want to fry anything X_X
It's hard to fry SPS because they can handle the high par but you are right the corals below can suffer if conditions are not optimal. Here is my tank so you can see how my how my SPS are placed in relation to other corals as a mixed reef.

Attachments

• 20230122_133659.jpg
    20230122_133659.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 58

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your setup at? I’m running three G6 xR30s and always worried I had too much light
I only have 2 gen 5 XR15 lights which I started at 50% and worked up to 70% intensity. Rented a par meter and found like maybe 175 par at the very top. Now I run the lights at 100% intensity on AB plus schedule and corals have significant growth now. I get 350 par at the top and 125 at the bottom. Middle is 250.

Your XR30s are much better lights though with more power and spread. I highly recommend renting par meter.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back