Mixing Anthias?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Poseidon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 7, 2007
Messages
3,258
Reaction score
39
Location
Swartz Creek, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple Lyre Tail anthias in my 90 gallon SPS Reef, I started with a male and 2 females, but lost one female. :(

Anyway, I would really like to add 1 more female Lyre Tail to make a trio again, but I would also like to add another trio of a different species. Originally I was thinking of a trio of flame Wrasse, but now I am thinking that a trio of Bartletts, or Carberryi Anthias might be better for me.

Anyway, has anyone tried to keep a total of 6 Anthias in a 90, with about 6 other fish? I know that would be pushing the bio load quite a bit, but with the 80 gallons of sump in the basement, and a MSX-2S skimmer cranking, I have have the filtration to keep the water very clear!

I look forward to hearing your ideas on this plan, and worst case, I could always settle for more Lyre Tails....

Thanks!
 
Here a recent full tank shot, I keep most of the live rock in the sump:

485317630_AQ669-L.jpg
 
I had 3 lyretails, and a Sunburst in my 120, and they got along fine. they all also went in together. not quite what your looking for, but some good info I think.
 
I've never had an issue mixing anthias. I'd recommend bartlett over carberryi...much hardier. hth.
 
Hey Peter, I am happy to see that, check this guy out:

501172443_c45ub-L.jpg

He has been chasing around a female Lyre Tail, and my purple Tang has chased him a bit, but so far so good! I think the split fin will heal up in no time.
 
That's actually a female just barely going male. Nice fish, regardless!

Males get mostly purple/lavender heads. Male with female:
1_1-7.jpg
 
Hey that is even better! I'll get to see the change. The LFS I bought them from had 3, all in separate tanks, as they were all in the "tween" state. I'll keep my eye on it for a few weeks and see what happens.

Any ideas on where to get a couple of surely females?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.6%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new