mixing baking soda for alk

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips to make it easier to mix? I boiled the water last time and it made it a little easier but still a pain to get it completely dissolved.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine dissolved easily.. just add a little at a time and dissolve it as you go. Flow brs' recipe. .

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

OP
OP
aslmx

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this method but I add it all at once. I'll try doing it slower and see if that helps. Recipe #1, Part 2: The Alkalinity PartSpread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300°F for one hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Overheating is not a problem, either with higher temperatures or longer times. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient.

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I mix it I put the water into a large pot then take the baking soda ash straight from the oven and mix immediately. I spread the baking soda on tin foil on a cookie sheet .... take it out of the oven, roll the foil up around the ash, close one end and pour it sorta slowly into the water with one hand while stirring constantly with the other. It also helps if you flatten any 'clumps' you may have on the sheet before pouring and mixing. This mixes it up easily and completely - then just pour it into my jugs.

Shelby2012

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dessolved 1 cup of baking soda in 1 gallon of water without a problem. It takes a while though. I decided to make the solution a bit weaker and dose more instead of a stronger solution and smaller dose. It's all a matter of calculations.

Last edited:

Downbeach

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hand held high speed blender, to mix the alk solution. Even with that it takes a while.

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 5 gallon buckett, heater and pump. After baking it up I get to mixing it up. I Pour it in slowly and let it mix up for awhile. Its the only way I have found to get it all really disolved.

GHill762

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how thick are y'all mixing? I did 1 cup to 1 gal water.. no issue at all dissolving.. I'm with shelby, make it a little weaker and it's more difficult to OD...

gqjeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use recipe 1 as listed above. Its not a simple pour in and it mixes clear at all at that strength. Its fine though it raises PH some and also requires much less solution to maintain at that strength.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U mixing in RODI water? I don't remember ever having issues with either carb. or bicarb. dissolving.

Try Recipe 2 instead.

-Matt

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 28.1%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back