Mixing Chromis Types

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of adding a Blue Reef Chromis and a Black Axil Chromis to my 75g tank...current inhabitants: Midas Blenny, Diamond Goby, 2 Oscellaris Clowns, and a Fire Shrimp.

Most posts have been about adding several same species Chromis and them picking each other off until there are only one remaining. I was wondering if anyone has had success just adding one chromis of different species and see if they still fight or if they remain peaceful.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
While not exactly the same situation I have a single Talbot's damsel in with a school of blue green chromis. The chromis stay together most of the time and they ignore the damsel. It's hard to say how two different single chromis will respond to each other.

OP
OP
Idoc

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to add them together; therefore, going through quarantine together, etc... But, if they will automatically fight, I would hate to even attempt mixing them together.

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don’t think they would automatically fight. Chromis in general have minor inter-school squabbling type aggression, not battle-to-the-death instant hatred type aggression. With 75g you probably have enough hiding places to go through with this idea. It would be nice if someone had a direct anecdote similar to what you are proposing but I think it is likely they would figure it out and get along.

a14455

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the picking off thing happens during the first few weeks . if they surive that they will do fine. also having a larger number seems to abate the aggression on a specific fish . just like with African chilchids. I have 6 blue greens 5 starkis and 6 fire gobys in addition to 2 tangs and a foxface .

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back