Mixing clownfish species

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very small ocellaris clown, a little over an inch long. I want to get another clown for him to mate with. Can percula and ocellaris mix? Or do both have to be ocellaris. Also is my clown still a male since hes so small and young or could he have already changed to female?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A perc will get along and can potentially mate with an occy without issue. Generally is best to get a clown that is smaller then your current clown to ensure that they will get along. In your case it is most likely male but you'll have to watch and be prepared to remove one of the clowns if they don't get along.

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A perc will get along and can potentially mate with an occy without issue. Generally is best to get a clown that is smaller then your current clown to ensure that they will get along. In your case it is most likely male but you'll have to watch and be prepared to remove one of the clowns if they don't get along.
Okay thanks, i would definitely watch them when i add the new clown very closely, i always do when adding new fish. The only problem is finding a smaller clown, i have a limited selection of LFS. Ill see what they have and make sure the one i get is smaller. I would definitely want them to become a pair and eventually start laying eggs

Hotelbravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they can certainly mix and end up mating however the two species have different signals they broadcast during the dominance and submission stages of the mating process. so basically the female could not recognize that the male is submitting because it instinctively looks for that specific signal. Luckily these two species of clowns are very similar and are fairly easy for the clowns to adjust to the differences.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 75.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back