Mixing eels

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone keep different species of eels together? Looking at adding a snowflake with jewled moray. 125 gallon 48"x34" footprint.

THanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A jeweled is a fang tooth, and while one of the milder ones, can still be a beast. It could be possible is starting with a small jeweled. The bigger risk would be if you are keeping fish, fish appropriate for a 125g would likely be threatened by the jeweled. More appropriate tank mates for a snowflake would be a banded or a skelator, especially if also keeping fish,

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A jeweled is a fang tooth, and while one of the milder ones, can still be a beast. It could be possible is starting with a small jeweled. The bigger risk would be if you are keeping fish, fish appropriate for a 125g would likely be threatened by the jeweled. More appropriate tank mates for a snowflake would be a banded or a skelator, especially if also keeping fish,

Only fish will be damsels.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only fish will be damsels.

Damsels are actually a nice choice for a fang tooth eel tank. They provide movement and color and are very elusive. It can provide enrichment for the eel and if he catches one, an added nutritional boost. They are usually so elusive the eel gives up unless one literally swims right into his mouth, and would just prefer for you to feed him.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damsels are actually a nice choice for a fang tooth eel tank. They provide movement and color and are very elusive. It can provide enrichment for the eel and if he catches one, an added nutritional boost. They are usually so elusive the eel gives up unless one literally swims right into his mouth, and would just prefer for you to feed him.

Yup he is currently in a 65 with damsels, doesn’t even try to catch them although he has eaten 3 so far.

I’m giving him an upgrade and was thinking about a snowflake eel, hence the question. Didn’t know if people kept different eel species together .

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup he is currently in a 65 with damsels, doesn’t even try to catch them although he has eaten 3 so far.

I’m giving him an upgrade and was thinking about a snowflake eel, hence the question. Didn’t know if people kept different eel species together .

Just make sure the snowflake is beefy enough, jeweleds do love to wrestle and may get rough. A goldentail or a white eye may be of interest to look at for a tank mate for a jeweled. Both these 2 are milder fang tooths. Since your jeweled is the one you already have just make sure if you add a snowflake he will be large enough to hold his own, this is a little riskier than the other way around. I would also plan to add the new at the same time as the upgrade, although a 125g is good space for a couple of eels.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure the snowflake is beefy enough, jeweleds do love to wrestle and may get rough. A goldentail or a white eye may be of interest to look at for a tank mate for a jeweled. Both these 2 are milder fang tooths. Since your jeweled is the one you already have just make sure if you add a snowflake he will be large enough to hold his own, this is a little riskier than the other way around. I would also plan to add the new at the same time as the upgrade, although a 125g is good space for a couple of eels.

Yes I’m super excited, it’s 48x34x18 high so great footprint ,

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I kept a fimbriated with a snowflake for a couple years before the fimbriated got too big

Eag808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone keep different species of eels together? Looking at adding a snowflake with jewled moray. 125 gallon 48"x34" footprint.

THanks!
I have a jeweled, snowflake and barred moray in one tank and no problems whatsoever they all share the same cave most of the time but this was just my personal experience they all can have different personalities.

Attachments

• C029B466-AC2A-480B-B2C6-305ABF55DB20.jpeg
    C029B466-AC2A-480B-B2C6-305ABF55DB20.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 152

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing eels will always be a gamble as they will almost always try to fight for the territory at first introduction, sometimes til death. Ive had success 6/7 times ive done it, and the one that didnt work was because i misjudged the new ones size and had to to remove him almost immediately or he wouldve been killed.

The best chances for success is to add them at the same time when they're small. Knowing the aggression of the species you're trying to mix is very important. If you cant add them at the same time always add the most aggressive last. Make sure the more aggressive ones are slightly smaller than the less aggressive species.

In your case of the snowflake and jeweled, you should make sure the snowflake is slightly bigger as theyre a less aggressive species. Also since the snowflake doesnt have the fang teeth hes less likely to hurt the jeweled than vise versa. Which one do you currently have?

Eag808

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ like @Dragonsreef said their is some risk. The order I added mine were snowflake first, then the jewled he was way thicker then the snowflake but prob same length, and last was the barred moray (around the same size as the snowflake). There was no fighting but the barred and jeweled kind of opened there mouths real wide looking like they were trying to intimidate one another but that was it now they share caves and all seem happy. The jewled is deff the boss of the eels and prob the tank but I have a Singapore angel who will throw him self in the eels face sometimes trying to be the boss (think he has a death wish lol) I would make sure your eel is well fed before adding anything that will help reduce aggression if any

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White eyes are indeed super mild for a fang tooth, and are known for getting along with other eels, both in the wild and captivity. There's one guy here who has 3 in with a massive tesselated. So far mine has been pretty chill and hasn't bothered much.

I'd give one a consideration as Lion King suggested.

Attachments

• DSC_2867.JPG
    DSC_2867.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 91

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back