Mixing Fairy Wrasses?

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that sixline present, I can't recommend much with any confidence. If you're willing to remove that fish, the door opens a lot.
So assuming the sixline disappears:
Really any Flasher (Paracheilinus) would be suitable.
Any of the more peaceful Fairys (Cirrhilabrus) would also be fine.
Beyond that, specific choices really come down to your budget and what visually appeals to you.

I would have no problem removing it. It could easily become the utility fish in my frag tank or some such thing. The hard part is....how to actually remove it. :(

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a homemade bottle trap in place, we'll see!

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more very important factor in the adaptability and or longevity is the overall health of any wrasse that you purchase. Health is a huge contributing factor in the wrasses ability to compete for pecking order. We have all seen it, the hunched back, difficulty in swimming, poor color.

A quarantine tank is most important!! These wrasses are expensive and it is a shame to see them killed when you may have been able to help them regain strength with some peace and some good food for a few weeks before introducing them into your display tank. In this case, even an acclimation box is not sufficient.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it is a shameless plug but you have to admit that the article is to good not to share!! LOL

With that sixline present, I can't recommend much with any confidence. If you're willing to remove that fish, the door opens a lot.
So assuming the sixline disappears:
Really any Flasher (Paracheilinus) would be suitable.
Any of the more peaceful Fairys (Cirrhilabrus) would also be fine.
Beyond that, specific choices really come down to your budget and what visually appeals to you.

Again, I've already done this. It's not in order of aggression, but alphabetically by latin name. At this time, it doesn't include ALL species, but all the ones you can find without much trouble here in the states.
That link Wendy provided... All About Reef Safe Wrasses - 3reef Forums (/shameless plug)

OP
OP
F

FishyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought I'd update everyone. I added 2 more male fairy wrasses - c. solorensis (3.5") and c. lyukyuensis (4.25") - to my 90g tank with an already established red velvet fairy wrasse. They've now been together for about 3 and a half weeks and are doing quite well. The red velvet will occasionally chase the solorensis back to the opposite side of the tank, but otherwise all are living in harmony! I also tried to add a female red velvet simultaneously but she unfortunately passed away last week due to what I believe was an unresolving swim bladder problem. Anyhow, this combo of wrasses seems to be working out well together with equally matched aggression and activity levels. Thank you everyone for the advice!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back