Mixing halides with t5 or xr30s

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 8 x2 x 16 tall

basically this is my second frag setup torches hammers trumpets amd clams.

i going to use up my collection of old reef gear on this build.
its in a basement fish room no canopy needed. Looks don’t matter 2 xr30s, all kinds of halide reflectors and ballasts 150de, 150,275,250,400,400hqi
and I have 4 of the or bar lights that are actinic are my options to pick from.

layout. Was thinking
halide-xr30-halide -Xr30 -halide. tank is only 16 inches deep so probably overkill but use 150 de hqi
my other frag tank is 14 inches deep and has t5 and 150 hqi and it’s success is why I need more room for frags.

so maybe layout To help the clams
xr30 - halide-xr30. And go with single ended 250 or 400?
Will the xr30 be able to light the ends like a 400 will in the middle?
maybe add The OR light bars?

what would you do

stocking For this is mostly torches and hammers And candy canes. I seem to do well with those.I would like to do clams is why I am contemplating the 400 in the Middle setup.
im not worries about heat have a chiller if needed

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix them if you want. The main reason that some MH users do not mix is that they don't see the benefit from LED that they get from adding another MH - the MH do not need supplement, so they save the cost of panels and electricity. Many will mix if they want to dusk/dawn it or whatever.

I would trend away from DE setup until you see some bulbs hit the market. Phoenix supply are dwindling with no commitment for another production run, but some vague notes saying that they are contemplating it with enough demand. I am not sure if Hamilton has any DE bulbs, but ReefBrite and Ushio are sold out as far as I know... I would not believe any of it until you see it. On the plus side, 150w DE Phoenix are still available if you want to stock up - they are still cheap and you can use them for 2 years.

OP
OP
Y

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i stocked up As they were closing out the bulbs. I have 40 250 radium’s left new style and 30 old style , and a dozen old style radium 400and 35 radium 150 watt bulbs plus a bunch of other bulbs I’ve been buying up. I bought the xr30a thinking I would try to switch, I like the halides much much better but thought I should use these xr30s since they are collecting dust

my main reef has 3 400 radium’s pfo ballasts and vho actinic 03 on icecap ballasts

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are all set then. I have a stockpile of DE bulbs that will probably see me out. If not, I guess that I am switching to SE or maybe I can find a stockpile of Phoenix bulbs.

My guess is that if you like the MH looks and performance then you might wonder why you are using that much wattage on xr30s when you could run another MH. :)

I just used up a 150w Radium DE bulb. Amazing bulb, IMO and wish it was on the market for longer.

OP
OP
Y

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive seen 250 se radium’s still on some of the vendors sites . But ya finding the bulbs is hard, The led and needlewheel skimmers made everything fit in smaller boxes, but bith came with a loss in performance.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back