Mixing lighting on 8 ft tank

  • Thread starter Thread starter DylanE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

DylanE

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 8, 2018
Messages
443
Reaction score
695
Location
West coast
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,

I'm wondering what the visual effects of mixing lighting sources on an 8ft tank will be. I'm upgrading from a 4 ft that currently has 2 gen 6 radion xr30s. I've build up a collection of things over the years, and currently also have a gen4 xr 30 and 2 redsea reefled 90s. I was thinking of getting one more gen6 xr30, using all 4 of the radions, and placing the reef leds in between for better coverage. Would it look wonky to have 3 different types of light running? The new tank will have a canopy, so I wont actually have to look at this motley crew. The other option is just getting 2 more xr30s and running them with 1 or 2 orphek or4s for added coverage.
 
I have 7 Radions over an 8’ tank and I alternate between blues and pros. No discernible difference visually between them.
 
The issue I foresee is that the Red Sea LEDs are so purple. Having 2 on an 8 foot tank might be an issue with color blending.

I would go with the OR4s and Radions. You’ll get better coverage and color blending that way.

If you do go with the Red Sea LED\Radion mix, you probably need more than two Red Sea LEDs to even out the color.
 
I have 7 Radions over an 8’ tank and I alternate between blues and pros. No discernible difference visually between them.

Hmm, that's quite a bit more light than I'm planning on. How'd you decide on 7? Are you running them perpendicular or parallel to the tank? My plan is only a few random sps with mostly lps and such.
 
The issue I foresee is that the Red Sea LEDs are so purple. Having 2 on an 8 foot tank might be an issue with color blending.

I would go with the OR4s and Radions. You’ll get better coverage and color blending that way.

If you do go with the Red Sea LED\Radion mix, you probably need more than two Red Sea LEDs to even out the color.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I've only ever used one as a sump light, so I don't know how they look during actual reef lighting. Good to know.
 
Hmm, that's quite a bit more light than I'm planning on. How'd you decide on 7? Are you running them perpendicular or parallel to the tank? My plan is only a few random sps with mostly lps and such.
Wanted each light to cover just over a foot of tank length. Running parallel.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new